HS30-00019

George

• Moderators

I too am really looking forward to watching your early girl come back to life.

The video is a great record of the starting point.

This is shaping up to be one awesome build thread.

Will ledge be doing the full shell + panel + paint?

Yes, he said he'd do it 2 for 1. I get to pick which stage is free. *whistles*

It makes sense to get it all done by the same shop and after weighing up my options Paul was, despite the distance between us, the only option.

I'm sure I'll be making a trip or two across country so I'd love to meet up with some of you when that happens. First trip will likely be in November as my wife is attending a conference there at the time.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but PJs car that was selling here and you were considering, I think #63 or #67? was less rusty than this.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out during the build.

I've picked up # 727 ( sister car to Daves - KatoKid #728 ) and slowly chipping away at stripping it at the moment. It's a factory Safari Gold car.

You know rust when the camera's autofocus starts looking through the car to the floor below... :o

After two days of scraping badly sprayed paint off my project Z, I'm so glad that I got a 99.9% rust-free shell.

Compared to yours, I'm merely giving it a wash!

Good luck with the resto...

I know you probably don't want to hear this but PJs car that was selling here and you were considering, I think #63 or #67? was less rusty than this.

That was #63 Cuong and yes, I'm aware that one was less rusty. I also passed on #86 which was in better condition than both. The price for those cars reflected their condition which was one of the factors I considered at the time.

A purchase like this, for me anyway, is more emotional than practical. I'm not looking for value for money, I'm not doing this to flip a product, nor am I doing it to just own a cool car that my friends like and one I can be seen in. I've done all that and I don't mean to sound all high and mighty but I'm after something different.

To me this is more about the experience. I want the experience of a large jig saw puzzle slowly coming together in my garage and I very nearly went with a Clubman build which would offer the same but in a much less practical car.

I completely agree with everyone that starting with a solid shell, or better yet with a complete running car, is a smarter option. I very nearly did buy an excellent example that needed no work but missed out by a couple of hours. That hurt at the time but as they say, things happen for a reason. I'm certain that if I had bought it it would have left me without the experience I crave for.

I'm taking the long view with this project and I know that at the end of it I'll not only end up with a car I'm attached to but with some wisdom to boot.

I wish you all the best with your build. You know the car is in good hands. It will be great to see it come back to life. You will have to let us know when you come over this way George so we can say hi face to face.

I can't wait for chapter 1

All the best mate

Vaughn

Yes, he said he'd do it 2 for 1. I get to pick which stage is free. *whistles*

Hmmm cant remember that conversation, Sure you didn't dream that one?  ;D

Looking forward to getting dirty on this Z George.

My last email to George I made him well of the cheaper options.

His response was simply" I will let you know when the car is coming"

Sometimes its about what the car is, not what it costs.

Cheers

Would be great to meet you Vaughn and hopefully check out your car at the same time.

That would be great It should bee on the road in a couple of months...fingers crossed

Hmmm cant remember that conversation, Sure you didn't dream that one?  ;D

Sometimes its about what the car is, not what it costs.

Cheers

You should have this up in you shed...  We all should have this up in our shed. Well said Ledge

• Administrators

What about the roof skin off the donor car? Sending that along also?

Did the tow truck driver have much to say?

The driver was not happy. The garage is well below street level and I had trouble convincing him to winch it up. I had the same problem, but more so, with the driver dropping it off a few months ago. Both guys called their bosses and had a sook but as bosses do they both got told to just get on with it.

He was also a bit unsure about the way I had tied the panels but they were secure and they will add more if necessary at the depot.

I'm sending the whole parts car across Gav so that'll go when it's ready in a couple of months. I figure Paul will need more than just the roof skin so he can chop away at it as he pleases. Having said that, I'll trust his judgement and we might be able to save both shells although I don't fancy my chances. If the other one can be saved I will be selling it.

Good luck to you George!

It looks like this is leading up to be a great start to a build.

Waiting for chapter 1 of the build thread too!

Kudos

Darius

Should have great aero on the truck  ;D

What brand rubber did you go with George?

If the body is anything to go by the 1/4 window frame lower internal bracket will be toast. Mine was, I TIG welded that part of the frame together to rust proof it forever.