Enzo

Must Watch Automotive Program Thread.

Posted (edited)

A much neglected  and misunderstood Z car model the 350Z, this is an extreme race version showing what the chassis is capable of and with bonus great sound. Start around 3 minutes if you want to avoid the intro chat.

Edited by 260DET

7 hours ago, HS30-H said:

What makes the C10-series Skyline a "legend" though? Seriously. Why would the C10 range be something head and shoulders above anything else Nissan made at the same time? I don't get it.

Or rather, I do. The 'Legend' is all about the PGC10 and KPGC10 GT-R models. The lesser C10-series models all ride on that. The car in the video is even wearing GT-R emblems, has a red-painted console badge (signifying S20 power) rather than blue and is even wearing replica Nissan Prince Tokyo Sports Corner dealer stickers, a branch of Nissan's dealer network which would not have let a GT or GT-X through its service centre doors in period. 

'Hakosuka' and (ugh) "Hako" have become synonymous with 'GT-R'. Cars like the one in the video are simply basking in the reflected glory of another model.

Yes, I'm in a bad mood today.

Mmmm someone hasn't had their Earl Grey and Scones this morning...

Well it's no different in my mind to people who have a Skyline R33 (GTS-T) or R34 (GTT) model/variant that mock them up to look like GTRs really. Given the acceleration of values in the genuine GTRs (all GTR models seem to be getting out of reach these days, not just C10 GTRs). I guess it's more and more likely the basic models are going to be dressed up that way. I guess the Nismo Omori factory wouldn't take in a humble R33 GTS-T for service work. Since they are focused on GTRs and other Nismo specials, but it wouldn't stop kids putting Nismo stickers or Omori factory stickers all over their cars. :) 

Everyone knows the real GTRs are still the legends, but in most cases it's a case of champagne taste with beer budgets I guess.

7 minutes ago, 260DET said:

A much neglected  and misunderstood Z car model the 350Z, this is an extreme race version showing what the chassis is capable of and with bonus great sound.

Certainly a very affordable car to go racing in at the moment.

29 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Certainly a very affordable car to go racing in at the moment.

Get a sound HR one for $10k, spend $20k WISELY plus lots of DIY weight reduction and off you go.

16 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

Mmmm someone hasn't had their Earl Grey and Scones this morning...

Earl Grey is for the ladies. Scones are strictly for the afternoon.

Me? English Breakfast tea, Granola, Turkish sultanas, Greek yoghurt.

Still feeling a bit grumpy...

16 hours ago, gav240z said:

Well it's no different in my mind to people who have a Skyline R33 (GTS-T) or R34 (GTT) model/variant that mock them up to look like GTRs really.

Everyone knows the real GTRs are still the legends, but in most cases it's a case of champagne taste with beer budgets I guess.

Actually I've got no problem with people building lookalikes/tributes/replicas etc etc. Even better if they are done well.

What I do NOT get is people talking about the GT and GT-X models and using words like "legendary" and "holy grail". Just don't get that. How is a GT that left the factory with a 4-speed and single carb any kind of 'legend'? Dolling it up to look like something else doesn't change that. It might make it a nice car that any of us would be happy to own, but "dream car" and "legend"? How? 

8 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Scones are strictly for the afternoon.

Pffft, maybe in Thatcherland...

17 hours ago, HS30-H said:

What I do NOT get is people talking about the GT and GT-X models and using words like "legendary" and "holy grail". Just don't get that. How is a GT that left the factory with a 4-speed and single carb any kind of 'legend'? Dolling it up to look like something else doesn't change that. It might make it a nice car that any of us would be happy to own, but "dream car" and "legend"? How? 

I get it, but if you watch the Hoonigan channel and Larry Chen's channel, they are simply not automotive anoraks. I just watched another episode here.

It's clear from watching it, they have no idea what half of these cars are, or the engines in them. This kind of automotive content is like junk food, looks good at first. Afterwards leaves you feeling a little sick in the stomach. :).

On 6/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, gav240z said:

It's clear from watching it, they have no idea what half of these cars are, or the engines in them. This kind of automotive content is like junk food, looks good at first. Afterwards leaves you feeling a little sick in the stomach. :).

Friend of mine summed that up for me. "They are sneaker people, not car people".

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Friend of mine summed that up for me. "They are sneaker people, not car people".

Yes the Facelace business model. Create a "lifestyle" brand.

I kind of wish I went now.. GTR Festival in Sydney.

Would love to see more Z's restored to the level some of these Skylines get done to!

Not S30Z specific but has good footage of early Skylines.

Over Drivin' Skyline Memorial

This game is actually a clone of the early Need For Speed on Playstation, but they replaced the cars and content with purely Skylines. I believe it was only available in Japan for the original PSX console.

I never knew this existed, the gameplay is dated. However the ingame footage shows some of the older Skyline models. Which I thought was cool and worth sharing.

Time to make another brew

When you're tempted to buy a cheap / recently resprayed vintage car from another country...