Early Expression of Interest - Diamond Vinyl Trim Set for 240z

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get the Diamond Vinyl interior replicated for the 240z. I'm wondering how many members would be interested in a kit - pending the outcome and quality of the items and of course price (which I don't have a fixed price on yet)?

I am hoping to do it at a better price than existing available kits. It also looks like we will be able to do a range of colours - not just black, although I imagine black will be the most popular choice.

The kit would include, the transmission tunnel, the area in front of the stowage bins, the rear strut towers.

Here are some examples of what these looks like in different colours. (nothing has been made yet though!)

63522d1369181789-my-neighbors-240z-almost-done-marys-interior-2.jpg

0231.JPG

1971_Datsun_240Z_For_Sale_Interior_resize.jpg

31982380010_large.jpg

70-Datsun-240Z-int-300x230.jpg

nissan-z-history-8-p20a.jpg

diamondvinyl.jpg

I'm looking to start with 10 kits to make it viable. I am hoping to have a sample sent to me for quality purposes and if all good, give the go-ahead for the group of kits to get made up.

I can't guarantee a colour match (anything other than black obviously) for those wanting to match to OEM door cards or seats - which are more than likely faded over the years, also I don't have samples for the other colour interiors. However if someone is able to send me some samples of these colours I might be able to work something out on that front?

If all goes well with this I'm looking to do other items also. So in theory could be able to do matching vinyl, door cards, seat covers etc..

Let me know if you have any additional feedback, concerns or questions? I am aiming for as OEM look as possible, but if there is enough demand for something else I'm open to that also.

• Administrators

Another thing I forgot to mention is that at the moment I'm only doing the 240z diamond vinyl, later 260z's sold in Australia had a more subtle pattern (smaller diamond shape) and the 2+2's obviously had a different trim from the rear back also.

Again if there is enough demand for these type of kits to suit 2+2 and 260z owners I'm happy to look into doing that, provided I can get my hands on some original samples.

• Administrators

So a slight bump in the road, after talking with the supplier he informed me that getting the pressed vinyl look would be more difficult than doing diamond stitching. This is because the pressing is done at the time the material is made and I'm not sure they are equipped to do that directly.

However they are looking into this for me and talking to material suppliers about it, I'm going to guess that everyone would like the OEM look replicated and wouldn't be interested in a stitched version?

I am also aware that there is some suppliers in the US who can already do these vinyl kits (reproductions), so I would either need to match price or be able to demonstrate superior quality, otherwise it wouldn't be worth while.

They have said determining price before they have a sample to work from is difficult, but I'll ask if they can give a price range of where they will expect it to sit. The more interest in terms of numbers here will obviously help.

Alternatively if the supplier falls through I'll investigate getting a group buy discount from some of these US suppliers to see if we can do a better price.

PS: I've also found a potential supplier of RHD Door mirrors (this is a reproduction unit) - same as the ones our AU market cars would have had. Not the US LHD version which has a slightly different stalk angle. I've personally been looking for 1 for ages with no joy so I'll be looking to get 1 myself.

Have a chat with Rev.  He was delivery very nice kits a couple of years ago.  Don't know if they were made locally or if he imported them.  Of course he is in the country of great excess at the moment so may be able to help either way.

Check Revs Emporium thread for pictures

• Administrators

Have a chat with Rev.  He was delivery very nice kits a couple of years ago.  Don't know if they were made locally or if he imported them.  Of course he is in the country of great excess at the moment so may be able to help either way.

Check Revs Emporium thread for pictures

Yeah the ones he had made had a stitched pattern from memory. So not quite OEM.

*edit found his cardomain page*

38684280012_original.jpg?v=0

He did a real nice job on that Z.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3868428/1974-datsun-260z/photo-gallery/

Interested... I have the early 260z. Would this have the same pattern as the 240?

Hmm you're testing my anorak skills here mate, I *think* early 74 260z's had the same pattern as 240z's, but definitely by 1975 it was changed to a smaller diamond pressing.

Also the rear strut towers were plain vinyl no pressed patterns etc..

Here are some reference pics.

240z kit.

240z1.JPG

240z2.JPG

240z3.JPG

260z kit

260z1.JPG

260z2.JPG

260z4.JPG

260z3.JPG

Note: The 260z strut towers are plain jane. What makes the 260z problematic is that the later cars (which are similar to the 280z style body) had taller rear strut towers.

Also the 2+2's might be different again.

In terms of price, whilst I can't confirm an exact figure until we've at least made 1 set. So far I've been told we should be cheaper than the other kits out there. I got the impression that it would be a fair bit cheaper also, but time will tell.

I'm going to find out what the next steps are and see how we go.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

does anyone know what happened to this?

As with many of these things, I try to gauge interest and see how much demand there is, but often I can only ever drum up 3-4 definitely interested folks. When I contact suppliers they often want a minimum of say 10 orders. This means I have to outlay 10 orders worth and only see the possibility of 3-4 orders in the beginning. So in this case I didn't go ahead with it, because I ended up finding a couple of good second hand sets for my own cars.

When I originally pitched this idea I didn't think anyone was reproducing this stuff, but I managed to find a few other people producing it. At that time the AUD vs USD was stronger and so for the amount I would need to charge to make it worth the effort the US options were better. However the AUD has slid over 30% against the USD since that time so it may make sense to look at this option again.

Right now I've imported a bunch of tail light trims. Will see how those sell when they get here. I'd import more stuff if I thought I could sell it relatively quickly, but if your money is tied up in items you have no liquidity for doing other group/bulk buy's etc...Which in turn means work on my own Zed gets delayed as that capital is not available.

It's a chicken / egg thing in a way...+ it all takes time to organise.

/Not meant to be a rant haha.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrators

Yep I tend to be the same, only buy it when I need it. In some cases though I buy if something comes up and I know it's going to be hard to find another. The "DATSUN" door sill kick panels are actually quite hard to find now in NOS shape because in Japan they were just plain and unbranded from memory (no Datsun's over there). I think I'll have to polish mine up because finding more is going to be hard and they are the sort of item that receives abuse anyway.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

2+2's had a smaller diamond pattern vinyl and I believe many may have had a carpet instead? My old 2+2 did anyway.

Best bet would be to get something custom made for a 2+2, not a lot of places cater to 2+2 interior needs I'm afraid. Given they are globally less common than the 2 seaters. Just happen to be more prevalent in Australia.

See here also.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/15415-revs-classic-interiors/

2+2's had a smaller diamond pattern vinyl and I believe many may have had a carpet instead? My old 2+2 did anyway.

Best bet would be to get something custom made for a 2+2, not a lot of places cater to 2+2 interior needs I'm afraid. Given they are globally less common than the 2 seaters. Just happen to be more prevalent in Australia.

See here also.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/15415-revs-classic-interiors/

1970 Datsun 240z (HS30 00051)- Green (907)

1970 Datsun 240z (HS30 00150) - Safari Gold (920)
1972 Datsun 240z (HS30 10552) - Silver Metallic (901)
1973 Datsun 240z (HS30 102895) -  Red (110) - Previously Owned.

Hey Gav

So you did own a 260z, but try to keep it a secret, being a 240z snob  ;)  ;)  

Edited by potter260

1970 Datsun 240z (HS30 00051)- Green (907)

1970 Datsun 240z (HS30 00150) - Safari Gold (920)

1972 Datsun 240z (HS30 10552) - Silver Metallic (901)

1973 Datsun 240z (HS30 102895) - Red (110) - Previously Owned.

Hey Gav

So you did own a 260z, but try to keep it a secret, being a 240z snob ;) ;)

Haha

And a 2+2 as well. I understand why he keeps it under wraps. ????

Edited by Cozza

Haha

And a 2+2 as well. I understand why he keeps it under wraps.

Nothing wrong with a 2+2 you knobs. Allabouttrimming at Slacks Creek did mine. Check it out in my build thread.

Edited by peter t