Show us your......man cave.

gav240z

34 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Pains me to share this 1, because I was interested in buying it...

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-st+andrews-129548242

$965kPRIVATE TREATY
Sold byMason White McDougall Hurstbridge
147days listed
First listed on 11 Oct 2018through Mason White McDougall Hurstbridgefor $1.15m

Took a while to sell and at quite a discount to the initial price.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, AndBir said:
$965kPRIVATE TREATY
Sold byMason White McDougall Hurstbridge
147days listed
First listed on 11 Oct 2018through Mason White McDougall Hurstbridgefor $1.15m

Took a while to sell and at quite a discount to the initial price.

Where did you get the first listed information? I was using DaftDropAu to monitor price changes but the website is down now..

10 hours ago, gav240z said:

Pains me to share this 1, because I was interested in buying it...

I liked the idea of seeing the collection from the living room. :)

Nice one Gav. Looks like a guy's dream home. Always another though!

Not sure about the windows into the garage. While you can keep an eye on the collection, the wife can keep an eye on you as well. :o :P

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, AndBir said:

Ahh Real Estate doesn't show that information. Good to know Domain holds it.

It was weird last year nobody put any offers in on properties in the area for 3+ months, then suddenly start of the year 3 properties sold within a week or 2 of each other after no offers.

51 minutes ago, George said:

Nice one Gav. Looks like a guy's dream home. Always another though!

Not sure about the windows into the garage. While you can keep an eye on the collection, the wife can keep an eye on you as well. :o :P

Funny my mum thought it was the selling point! haha. Although I don't think that area would have been ideal for working on cars, more just storing them (too clean) but it did have a separate work shed further up the block.

I've got some videos of the place here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mkz2zJVgcQSe3gix9

We actually went for another property around the corner. The 1 above was lovely but it was too "modern" feeling for me, so we went for the high maintenance property (lawns to mow haha).

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-st+andrews-129804734

It didn't have a man cave, but a "barn" that could have been turned into more of a man cave.

There was a third property in the area with a very cool rustic barn.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-st+andrews-130064054

But we were just not feeling it...it just doesn't gel together well enough.

Like you say there's always another, so onwards and upwards..

3 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

You guys got a keen eye of nice property. Imagine the prices in Sydney for something like that, well over 1.5M

I believe you have described in 1 sentence why I won't be staying in Sydney. :D

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Shame they want $2.5M+ otherwise I'd be keen lol..

Perhaps a lot more modest, but the last place I was interested in was this 1.

https://www.realestateview.com.au/real-estate/9-lynette-avenue-warrandyte-vic/property-details-sold-residential-12597234/

Had room for at least 4 cars in that shed, and 2 in the carport out front, but sold before auction..

960K seems fair for that block.

I cant get over how cheap some houses on large blocks are in Vic. If it wasn't for family we would have moved a long time ago. My favorite suburb in Melbourne is Templestowe and Upper. Big blocks, big houses, development potential for subdivision and duplexes. Sell, buy another, repeat till content. Spend money on the S30z 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

My favorite suburb in Melbourne is Templestowe and Upper. Big blocks, big houses, development potential for subdivision and duplexes. Sell, buy another, repeat till content.

That's why Sydney is so expensive now. Everyone is trying to do that.

Melbourne isn't cheap, it's just less stupid than Sydney. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrators
23 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

They are all a bit "clinical" looking for me.

I did see a related article though: R100 and RX2 on hoist. But too much white!

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/dream-home-includes-a-nextlevel-garage-with-stacker/?pid=article-page|source:news:article-page-bottom

image.jpg

• Administrators

Well after all the faffing about, I didn't get my epic man cave.

So I'm gonna have to get creative in how I turn this area into my man cave.

I have a very average video of the area here. Which shows the boat parking spot.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YUDWGGPZ9yuGCUhg7

Given it's all on a slope I'm going to have to think about either excavation or a multi-level garage area.

This photo shows the garage/carport spot which I think I'll extend slightly. I think I could fit 4 x 240z's here with a little extension and may close it in (to turn it into a garage). There is a workshop behind it also (small).

carport.jpg

I was a little disappointed I didn't get my epic workshop area, but the house / location and feel of the place ticked every other box for us. So 9 out of 10 requirements. 10 being the garage. :).

But the mortgage is far more modest than other properties I was looking at and I am hoping this gives me more cash flow to put into the garage area over time.

I'm just grateful I no longer have to deal with real estate agents and the housing market in general.

12 minutes ago, gav240z said:

I was a little disappointed I didn't get my epic workshop area, but the house / location and feel of the place ticked every other box for us. So 9 out of 10 requirements. 10 being the garage. :).

But the mortgage is far more modest than other properties I was looking at and I am hoping this gives me more cash flow to put into the garage area over time.

I'm just grateful I no longer have to deal with real estate agents and the housing market in general.

My tip to get it done ASAP. I had approved plan to get an extra 4 car garage and thought builder quote of 75K 10 years ago was expensive. And now there's no chance I can get it done for that amount of money.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, hmd said:

My tip to get it done ASAP. I had approved plan to get an extra 4 car garage and thought builder quote of 75K 10 years ago was expensive. And now there's no chance I can get it done for that amount of money.

Yeah I know, seems every year the cost of construction goes up and up and the build quality goes down and down. :).

The garage at my mum's old place in the early 2000s cost about $50k to do, which I thought was crazy amount of money at the time.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-caulfield+south-108215496

On 12/24/2019 at 10:41 AM, gav240z said:

Well after all the faffing about, I didn't get my epic man cave.

So I'm gonna have to get creative in how I turn this area into my man cave.

I have a very average video of the area here. Which shows the boat parking spot.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YUDWGGPZ9yuGCUhg7

Given it's all on a slope I'm going to have to think about either excavation or a multi-level garage area.

This photo shows the garage/carport spot which I think I'll extend slightly. I think I could fit 4 x 240z's here with a little extension and may close it in (to turn it into a garage). There is a workshop behind it also (small).

Congrats on the property champ

Love the multi-level garage idea with a car lift would be epic but excavation costs heaps and deceiving as to how much land you would need to cut and fill. We had the side of our place excavated 3 weeks ago for a retaining wall approx 20meters by 1.5meters and it set us back 12K as it was mostly rock. 

Yeah estate agents frustrate me, hate dealing with them. I would rather give Warren Potter a call than deal with an agent lol (not)

• Administrators

Yes Warrandyte/Warranwood/Ringwood araa.

I'd been looking all over Eltham, St Andrews, Greensborough, Hurstbridge, Wattle Glen etc.. for a mud brick home. This place came up backing onto a reserve which gives it the feeling of being on an acreage. I originally wanted an acre or 2 to give me the ability to build a big garage/workshop area. But like I said above, I managed to get most of what I wanted but at a smaller mortgage size which takes a bit of pressure off and potentially makes it easier to spend more money on the Datsun's lol.. ;)

• Administrators
11 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

Congrats on the property champ

Love the multi-level garage idea with a car lift would be epic but excavation costs heaps and deceiving as to how much land you would need to cut and fill. We had the side of our place excavated 3 weeks ago for a retaining wall approx 20meters by 1.5meters and it set us back 12K as it was mostly rock. 

Yeah that's why I think I'll avoid excavation, although I don't think it will be mostly rock on my block. The house is a mudbrick home and was made from mudbrick on site. The house is multi-level also, so I'd imagine if there was a lot of rock it would have been a massive PITA to build the house.

I have an uncle that is a builder/bricklayer and his son (my cousin) is a carpenter so I'll be taking advantage of their abilities to help me with whatever we decide to do. But I'll need to find a new job in Melbourne in the new year I think. So that's the first hurdle to overcome. ;).

• Administrators

I nearly bought a house around the corner from Mark. I thought you were further out North West, but I do know a few S30z owners are in the area. Good to know for organising early morning weekend drives to wineries etc..