Show us your......man cave.

gav240z

• Administrators

Well I agree, that's why I like looking at grungy old factories. I looked at this 1 a year or so ago.

https://goo.gl/photos/n2XzxLxW3SWAvMr9A

It needed a LOT of work, but downstairs would have been the perfect man cave and upstairs would have been a cool warehouse apartment type living.

The real problem was previous use contamination.. Estimate the cost to remediate the site would have been $300k+ I reckon..

Gary, you shamed me into cleaning up a bit.

It still isn't perfect but i think you can see the improvement.

105_1704.jpg

105_1702.jpg

I even found the Bolwell. I knew I put it somewhere but just couldn't remember where.

105_1703.jpg

Ignore the body bags - Just a little money I make on the side helping out the Comancheros.

Firstly, nice shed :)

Secondly, is your car painted the original 305 light blue?

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob, the PO had a respray done and so have I (insurance claim). This is the original colour but it might be slightly off if it was colour matched and not mixed up to the original paint code. To be honest I never thought to ask!

• Administrators

Ok so I've googled for hours trying to find this video again with no joy, but I feel I'm closer now that I've found this glimpse of it.

(at 21-22 seconds in).

garage.jpg

I recall it was a Ford owner who built this warehouse looking garage from scratch using recycled building materials and it looks like an old factory as a result.

I'd love to see the full episode again as it's my dream form of workshop / garage.

Not sure where the garage is, but I have a feeling it's out Lilydale Victoria sort of direction.

*Edit think I found it, but I'm sure there was a segment where they talked about the garage itself.

Thanks Rob, the PO had a respray done and so have I (insurance claim). This is the original colour but it might be slightly off if it was colour matched and not mixed up to the original paint code. To be honest I never thought to ask!

Thanks for your reply Mike, much appreciated.

Your car looks awesome. Really starting to fall for the colour. Mine was originally that colour, but was resprayed to the blue you see in the attached picture. Clearly a blue with more silver.

I'm hunting down as many pictures of the original code, before I commit to a respray.

Cheers,

Rob

post-103014-0-33243800-1525423638_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This had serious man cave potential.

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-industrial+warehouse-vic-footscray-502780318

Unfortunately for me, out of my price range.

main.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

Just replace the motorcycle on the wall with some old S30Z panels like this old Porka.

message-editor%2F1521052154744-happyplac

The video below is what I would love to build, replace the Ferrari with the 240 on it would be perfect.

https://petrolicious.com/films/ferrari-bb-512-is-a-piece-of-art

Put Datsun in search engine of this www and you find a number of good video's.

Wow these guys have covered heaps of Datsuns. Will have a Sunday evening going through them all

• Administrators

The video below is what I would love to build, replace the Ferrari with the 240 on it would be perfect.

https://petrolicious.com/films/ferrari-bb-512-is-a-piece-of-art

Put Datsun in search engine of this www and you find a number of good video's.

Hahaha couple of peas in a pod. I keep thinking of the Ferrari and house in Ferris Bueller's day off. As my inspiration for a house in the woods. But instead of the Ferrari I'll have a collection of S30z's.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2018 at 4:28 PM, gav240z said:

Hahaha couple of peas in a pod. I keep thinking of the Ferrari and house in Ferris Bueller's day off. As my inspiration for a house in the woods. But instead of the Ferrari I'll have a collection of S30z's.

@gav240z for a price of a Sydney apartment, you probably can build a decent man cave in this to house all your s30z, you would need a decent ferry service though.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/uk-island-on-sale-for-700000/

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, hmd said:

@gav240z for a price of a Sydney apartment, you probably can build a decent man cave in this to house all your s30z, you would need a decent ferry service though.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/uk-island-on-sale-for-700000/

@hmd been done before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

One could argue that placing your Datsun collection only a few metres from a large body of salt water is perhaps tempting fate.......

I've been tidying my man cave up a little over the last few weeks. I now have potentially the most expensive parts racking in the Datsun world - initial purchase cost was in excess of a $1 million.

The two racks on either end started life as IBM data storage arrays, empty the racks, add some shelves, add some more shelves in between the racks, clean up your shed (and find you have WAY more cylinder heads / blocks / etc than you thought, plus a gearbox that you can't remember buying......) and I now have room to work in there again !

And even better than finding forgotten Datsun parts, I found a friend to keep me company on those long nights alone in the shed, looks like he's living on top of a cupboard in the darkest corners of the shed, using 180B SSS door trims as a bed.

poss.JPG

rack1.JPG

I can actually move in there now. Feels good ! It all started because I'm about to build a new engine. But the engine stand had a blown up MX5 engine on it. And there was nowhere else to put the MX5 engine. So one thing led to another, and 3 weeks later it's tidier than its been in many years. Still haven't started building the engine though...... 

• Moderators
23 hours ago, 1600dave said:

I can actually move in there now. Feels good ! It all started because I'm about to build a new engine. But the engine stand had a blown up MX5 engine on it. And there was nowhere else to put the MX5 engine. So one thing led to another, and 3 weeks later it's tidier than its been in many years. Still haven't started building the engine though...... 

And I wouldn’t mind betting that you found a few long forgotten treasures in the process