Show us your......man cave.

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

So during my recent house hunt in Sydney I came across lots of place that had garages that were a bit too neat (clean walls and floors etc..), you could go so far as to say uninspiring...then we found this older house, which had this rough little workspace, just the kind of rough around the edges place I like. I can make a bit of a mess and not worry the landlord is gonna crack the sads and send me packing.

So enough talk and here are some photos of said working space.

IMG_20131024_190613.jpg

IMG_20131024_190701.jpg

There is quite a few shelves and cupboards left in there from previous tenants / owners.

IMG_20131024_190713.jpg

IMG_20131024_190424.jpg

Outside shot (rear)

IMG_20131024_190510.jpg

IMG_20131024_190433.jpg

IMG_20131024_190554.jpg

Side door is good for ventilation (exhaust fumes perhaps?)

IMG_20131024_190448.jpg

IMG_20131024_190624.jpg

Weird shelf set up, but hey it works.

IMG_20131024_190635.jpg

Solid old work bench with cupboard and lots of spiders etc..

IMG_20131024_190650.jpg

So far the only thing I've got in there is a lawn mower and jerry can + 2 stroke oil. All my tools are still in transit on a boat and my car is going through compliance. The 240z is in Melbourne, but the garage (in Sydney) is almost big enough to fit 2 cars (I'm going to take measurements).

I recently saw this article on speedhunters and have to say I like the garage, the old model cars and the cupboard spaces / bench tops. It just looks like a creative space.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/10/70s-street-fighter-imai-works-datsun-260z/#chapter-welcome-to-imai-works

The more and more I get involved with my cars the more and more I want to do creative things, and I think a good workshop layout and space is the perfect way to give you inspiration. So the whole point of this thread is to see what you guys have done with your own workshop / spaces and share ideas.

I'm looking for ideas on the cheap, ways to recycle things and tips for finding cool things to put away in the garage like old petrol station signs or where to get old tools / machines on the cheap etc..

A topic that is on my mind every single day Gavin. I'm in the middle of what is becoming a very long project. Can't wait to see the back of it and to start enjoying the cave.

I have recently started woodworking. The interest has always been there to create things. It's a form of expression and it gives me great personal satisfaction unlike anything else. A year ago I purchased a house and although one of the criteria was to have a garage and a man cave the property had neither but it did have the potential for both. After doing the essential renovations inside the house I started on my man cave.

My temporary workshop.

Latest update. Progress is sloooow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-r5RXe8P_Y

I expect this project will be completed this summer. Later next year (could even be the year after) I will start work on the garage. I should be able to find a Z to put in it by then. ;)

• Administrators

That space will make a good garage, I can see the potential :).

I know exactly what you mean re: woodwork and getting a level of satisfaction out of working with your hands like that. When I was still in Ireland, I was feeling stressed out with work and I noticed when I started to spend my evening tinkering with the car and fixing it up (after it was stolen/damaged) all that stress would just vanish and a sense of calm would come over me.

I would usually exercise as a way of dealing with the stress of the day, but after a while it just wasn't working for me in the same way. I found many good arguments in this book for working with your hands and fixing things.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Working-Your-Hands-Office/dp/0141047291

So I think every man needs his own workspace to be creative and build things. It should be mandatory - especially for those of us working in an office day to day.

working with your hands +1, definately.

Personally i find it difficult that i dont have 'instant projects' to work on, eg, something easy that i can build over a few evenings to take the edge off.

Sort of like when you look at the car sitting there and the cumulative amount of small jobs make it seem like a daunting task that offers no motivation to begin.

Its in those instances that smaller projects get completed, like a shelf in the garage for the pc to sit on, or repairs to the back screen door, ect.

^ maybe that's what the door's for?  ;)

I'm in a similar situation as George, but without that beautiful backyard view! We were looking around for a place that had a garage/workshop space along with however many other requirements, but ended up with one that has the potential for it to be added. It has what appears to be a driveway with a garage at the end that was converted to a garden and storage - i'm hoping it will be relatively easy to spend a day getting rid of the garden beds and open the storage back up to atleast being usable as a carport.

The only issue is doing so most likely will delay my car getting back on the road till next year :(

In terms of Gav's original questions, I've been raiding all relatives/strangers potential hardrubbish for metal lockers and filing cabinets, as i think they work well as semi secure storage

• Administrators

Gavin

When we next get a Sydney 'big wet' make sure you get a photo of the shed flooded by the run-off from the driveway!

LOL, hope it won't be a disaster. The door at the rear is by no means sealed so it won't retain water should we have a Noah style flood.

Hey Gav, good to see your back in Aus!

I don't really have anything inspirational to contribute, as my man cave is nothing special, but alas here it is:

nwz3.jpg

I read somewhere you posted that your in the Concord area, not too far away from me, i'm in Fairfield.

You should come down to all Datsun Day next Sunday, (3rd of Nov) At The Prospect Hotel.

My car wont be ready, but ill be there supporting a friend who just finished his 1200 ute that was 6 years in the build.

Would be nice to finally meet some of the guys from the forums! especially since the NSW / Sydney section is pretty much non existent!

Rudolf.

Mines your standard double lock up, slowly running out of room but because of all my ah um parts hahaha. but what more do you need in a shed, enough tools to tackle most jobs, walls clad with pin up/movie posters and usually a portable ipod dock to crank some tunes!! but i would kill for a decent work bench but ill see how i go.

IMG_4301_zps0407894f.jpg

IMG_4302_zpsb1579192.jpg

IMG_4304_zps9615c80a.jpg

Engine cranes are such a pain for 95% of their lives.... that other 5% though lol. I hate trying to store mine.

Oh yes very much indeed hahaha i had though of dismantling it and storing it up in the roof purlins some how. but its out the way there........for now

• Administrators

Awesome workshops some of you guys have or will have.

@Rudolf - I'm near Concord, next suburb over Five Dock. I would love to see some Datsun's so I'll book it in. I love the 1200 utes, they are quite expensive these days unfortunately. We took 1 out onto the Salt Flats in Botswana (Kubu Island) the thing would go anywhere with no fuss, although there was no rain so didn't have to go through mud. They are very popular in South Africa.

Better photo on the salt flats :)

We will have to do something about the NSW and Sydney Z scene. Try and get a few meets happening! Saw a 240z on the way home the other night from work. Looked absolutely mint and I've seen that candy red 1 with the blower popping out of the hood, flares and white interior also. Looks quite good in person, effective.

@Matty - your workshop is great, very organised and umm lots of eye candy on the walls haha. You have a practical Nissan and a less practical Nissan lol.

RE: Engine cranes they are the sort of tool that is probably best hired for a short term or bought second hand cheap and sold on again.

To be honest though I'm just so happy to have a workshop area, I used to have to store all my tools under stairs in a cupboard and every time I wanted to work on the car I'd have to pull stuff out and re-organise it all. It was a real PITA. The other caveat was it was very hard to work on something for any longer than a day or 2 at a time because I could leave tools out in the weather or the car for that matter with the bonnet open in the rain etc.. So very chuffed to have a garage where I can start to organise everything properly and take my time to do jobs properly etc..

@Matty - your workshop is great, very organised and umm lots of eye candy on the walls haha. You have a practical Nissan and a less practical Nissan lol.

RE: Engine cranes they are the sort of tool that is probably best hired for a short term or bought second hand cheap and sold on again.

To be honest though I'm just so happy to have a workshop area, I used to have to store all my tools under stairs in a cupboard and every time I wanted to work on the car I'd have to pull stuff out and re-organise it all. It was a real PITA. The other caveat was it was very hard to work on something for any longer than a day or 2 at a time because I could leave tools out in the weather or the car for that matter with the bonnet open in the rain etc..

Common now every nissan is practical Gav ;)

i know where you are coming from on the lack of suitable working space too mate i'm very thankful ive got something decent myself coming from a single carport at a unit so my second bed room became the shed/storage room, try explaining that to your real estate agent hahahaha

a rotary is no worse than a VN vommitdore.

If you thrash the arse off it it'll break constantly, thats what 90% of the P plate owners do.

If you look after it, maintain it properly, including preventative maintenance when it needs it, then it'll last a long time and give you good service.

• Administrators

Yeah they are fine. I was just joking series 8 is way to go, but a lot of imports have had a haircut off odometer. Single turbo is way to go if you want a properly sorted 1. Twins are good when working.

Mine has been fine, parts are a little pricey and cooling system is important to keep in good working order.

L-series is awesome reliable and 240z is cheap to run, actually get better fuel economy from my 240z, however its hard to drive rotary without sticking boot in, just so willing to rev.

• Administrators

I should point out you can neglect a VN commodore without too much problems. Just do periodic maintenance and rotary will be all good.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

So I couldn't help but revive this thread, I've been looking at warehouses for ages, and I came across this...

In Richmond Victoria. So anyone got a lazy 3.5M for an Auszcar headquarters?

http://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-industrial+warehouse-vic-richmond-502032598

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

image9.jpg