HS30-00283

Hello All,

I just wanted to give a little background to my Z car... Z cars are in my blood, I still remember falling in love with them when I was watching a few well known rally Z cars as a teen... I started out as a Datsun man, racing 1600's, 180B SSS with mates in the local car club...

But still I wanted a Z... the search began, and 18 months later I stumbled across this early girl being on sold by a club guy in Albury, I bought it over the phone and then trecked from Adelaide to buy it... it was clearly too good to race, so I decided to try and restore it... At that time I probably didn't see it for what it was as a low number early Z car, but it didnt take long to realise I was onto a good thing after doing a bit of research on what the early series cars were...

A few other curve balls eventuated and I decided to go back to school and change careers, so in the shed it went... It spent a lot of time in the shed, (and in other peoples sheds...) getting worked on when time and money permitted... It has been a slow "restification" over the last 8 years finally being finished in August, 2012 by a few mates who decided to surprise me in lieu of no cash flow while studying... It is by no means a purists car, but I am hoping to slowly find all the bits to return it to "restored" but at the moment having it running is the priority...

It is still an ongoing project, trying to find those harder to find bits when cash etc is permitting... Pictures are from my first ever drive, so it has changed a little since then with a few more bits and pieces...

I hope you can appreciate it for what it is... to me, my dream car...

Cheers,

Jarrod.

post-5674-1440237246_thumb.jpg

post-5674-14402372461_thumb.jpg

post-5674-144023724622_thumb.jpg

White Z's are so sexy. Very clean car Jarrod.

Time to bring her home i think and at least look at it in person and slowly do the changes. Plus gives us a chance to check her out.

Valance looks like its been pushed to much in center and flattening it out.possible thecenter bracket is bit out of whack lightly.  Small adjustments should improve it to keep ryan happy. Btw good spoting young Ryan.

• Administrators

Looks very tidy considering it has been a slow restoration. I know what its like to try and restore something on a student budget. What bits and pieces are you having difficulty finding?

Hi all, I really appreciate the kind words...

A fair bit has changed since these photographs, I have taken care of most things, I caught up with Greg recently with my build pics and we discussed what was missing... so the list of things to do on it looks like this...

• The head is not the correct version, I need to find an E31 head somewhere...
  • The inlet manifold is the later model with the water jackets in it...
  • I dont have the correct heater vent in the centre of the dash...
  • The windscreen wipers are not the correct model...
  • The brake master cylinder is not the correct one...
  • The air cleaner backing plate is a later model one...
  • I need the cover that goes over the regulator...
  • I am missing a few grommets in the firewall particularly the large one that the wiring loom passes through...
  • I have replaced the steering box grease filter thing with a nipple...
  • I still havent got the manual throttle working properly as I do not have the correct accelerator pedal...
  • I cannot find the demister and fog light blanking plates for the centre console...
  • I will need to replace the centre console at some point, because it has previously been cut out to fit an after market stereo...
  • The glove box is a bit dodgy and has been locked shut and I cant bring myself to try and open it for fear of breaking it...
  • The splash pan under the sump is a 260Z one...
  • The light lenses are aftermarket items...
  • The seats are the original seats but they have been previously retrimmed in velour, so I will try and get them redone in vinyl or faux leather...
  • I need to put some insulation up under the dash against the firewall...

• I am still looking for one more 4.5J wheel for a spare...
  • I am looking for the plastic things that go inside the door handle escutcheons...

Recent purchases have been centred around the interior bits and pieces... I know that this list is an over the top assessment of things, but I will get to them all eventually...

As an aside, I would also like other people opinions on the fender mirror/door mirror saga, as I have a pair of fender mirrors, but neither the guards or the fenders had mirror holes in them...

Cheers,

Jarrod.

Mmm, I want  ;D looks great.

On the mirrors, you seem to be going for a period correct concourse-esque resto, ie. as the car was delivered, and with that in mind, I would have thought to go with door mirrors. Don't get me wrong, if it was me I would go fender mirrors all the way, but I think that would detract from how period correct the car is, for an AUDM delivered vehicle, that is.

That's kind of a black and white view though. I'm just one of those darn kids, so what do I know? Haha.    :D

Cool trivia for you ^  The first AUDM cars off the boat came with fender mirrors, but they were kinda chrome and thing and more stalkey, not like the JDM ones you see.

I had heard that, but never really had it confirmed by anyone. If it was standard, I love me some fender mirrors so, I agree, that would be a way to go to go. Would look nice with flares taken out of the normal formula for a hella-mad-tyte JDM 240.

Actually, I don't care, looks hot either way, haha.

Hey J those mirrors are different to usual bullet. As per article those are remote controlled. Came accross a set but exy. Love to see the switch for it.

But personaly the 432 and 240zg style or early mirrors are the coolest. Love them.

Nice 240z. I like the fact you are keeping it original because it is hard to resist modifying these cars over time and early period correct cars are becoming harder to find.

My HS30-00084 (sept 70) has the original factory fender mirrors still attached which are the chrome flat type. Refer avatar Pic. They are similar to the one shown in the pic from Lynton which is the correct type for this car. That said, I am on the hunt for a pair of JDM bullet fender mirrors from the same era if anyone doesn't want theirs.

Most the stuff you are after is available on the US market  and ebay.com if you are patient and are willing to pay shipping. http://jdm-car-parts.com/ is as good a place as any to start.