CroS13

Rudolfs 2+2: The gleaming emerald......

Went down on Friday and seen her in person.

She has a little bit of peel on the rear quarter, the roof is pretty flat. painter isn't really sure if he wants to cut her back either. I have cut back a car before and even i'm not really keen to do it again.

pushed out of the booth and in the workshop:

48925774163_65d32cdb53_b.jpg 

And seeing sunlight for the first time since May last year:

48925773298_ce14bd741a_b.jpg 

Hanging panels will be done on Monday.

Once i get the Damage bill out of the way, I'll see what i'm left with from my savings put away for the car and sort out suspension.

In my research:

KYB Exel G front: 361002

KYB Exel G REAR (2+2): 361003

Fronts are available from wholesale suspension, as they are the same from a 260z or 240z or whatever. Rears are different because its a 2+2 with a longer shock.

Wholesale suspension said fronts are $150 each. $300 for the pair.

Rears not available.

Summit racing in the US have the rears in stock (and fronts), so do the Z store out of California. Z car store want about $150 AU for a PAIR of shocks. Great! half price! However they looked into postage and the cheapest they could come up with was $275 AUD postage with fex ex International Economy. Essentially doubling the price of the parts!!! Not sure how much summit were to charge me, couldn't figure out how to email them.

Spoke to Stuart Willkins Racing, he said "nah rears haven't been available for years!" He said he just puts front shocks in the back with a Spacer he can machine up. if i want KYB im looking at $600 for all 4 and if i want Koni Yellows its about $1000.

Who has had experience with both or either shocks? how do they feel and are they durable?

Car is a Daily cruiser with *cough* maybe a V8 in it later.....

Springs i have the equivalent of the King spring lows, but in Lovells.

Rudi.

Video Update 12 - The car gets paint!

I was able to get some footage of the zed being painted, as i left one of my gopro's with the painter. So here is some footage in my latest video update:

Rudi.

19 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

Definitely a nice colour choice Rudy, looks amazing. 

Should have come down yesterday! i spent about 4 hours at the shop yesterday arvo fitting all my door locks and latches and handles etc etc. Got there at about 3pm, i blinked and it was 7pm! i was just working away by myself in the corner of the workshop oblivious to the world.

48995532843_6a01d7e463_b.jpg 

door handle on. I'll need to remove it later and fit new rubbers as mine were shot. but needed to get the doors to close and lock.

48995532773_c11cc17e77_b.jpg 

took me awhile to remember how this all went back together, as i didn't have photo's on me. I polished it all up best i could with metal polish, and i gave it some grease on all the hinges and joints:

48996275557_919d366317_b.jpg 

Drivers door shuts great. passenger, not so much, i might have the latches on the wrong way around, after i got them plated.

I wasn't planning on rebuilding all the doors now, honestly, with the whole car, doors and windows are what i hate doing the most.

Too many times with too many cars I would replace a window motor or regulator or glass, and i always seem to have a rattle afterwards.

I guess i might as well get it done now.

Rudi.

41 minutes ago, CroS13 said:

Too many times with too many cars I would replace a window motor or regulator or glass, and i always seem to have a rattle afterwards.

I hear ya, creeks and rattles do my head in. :)

Got to love the fiddly stuff ayy. I have no patience, I always end up breaking something with my big fingers. Better to let Marcel finish my car lol

Yeah time flys, was Marcel doing any actual work till 7pm ? Lol

5 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

Yeah time flys, was Marcel doing any actual work till 7pm ? Lol

yeah it was on his car that's why LOL! he was working on one of his fairlady's, something about historic audit on one of his cars, had to get checked over the next day.

Yours is real close now too bud! wont be long!

Rudi.

29 minutes ago, CroS13 said:

Yours is real close now too bud! wont be long!

Definitely we need to have these cars done ASAP so we can go cruzing. 

Are you planning to get Aircondition kit? 

Help with any Rubber suppliers needed!

I'm currently having issues finding a weatherstrip kit for a 2+2. I have been told its not worth it to buy a coupe kit, then source door rubbers, quarter rubbers and rear hatch/glass rubbers separately to make up what is different.

I have contacted Rob at the Z factory in Melbourne? - A lot of what would comprise of a full weather seal kit is on back order and not available, with at least 1 month wait. There also, is not a specific Kit available for a 2+2 through him. I have to buy everything individually.

I emailed Precision out of America. They Don't offer a 2+2 kit. they do however have quarter window seals and door seals to suit a 2+2. They refused to make up a 2+2 kit for me, even after telling them the 4 seals to remove and replace with 2+2 variants, even with me giving them part numbers from their own products. They also don't ship internationally and said to go through their vendors.

One was Jegs and they didn't show any of the parts i needed online, second was All Z (new Zealand) but i cant find any information about them.

Z car Depot Show that they have a specific 2+2 kit for a 280z, looks like using precision seals, I have emailed and book faced them with no reply after 1 week so far.

I went to rare spares, they claim they no longer sell seal kids as of last year, that their supplier now sells direct to public.

Supplier is Rubber seals Australia, in SA.  Richard is a very helpful man over the phone, but essentially he is looking to custom make, cut and mitre the door seals, and i need to give him sized and lengths etc etc and substitute original seals for similar ones etc etc. This might be a option, but I'd rather buy a kit pre made to fit.

Tomorrow i will try a place called Old auto rubber in penrith, when i go to see my car.

Is there no one anywhere where i can buy a actual 2+2 weatherstrip kit from without having to buy everything individually?

Anyone got any other places to try? Pulling my Hair out a little.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:13 PM, JDM-TOY said:

Definitely we need to have these cars done ASAP so we can go cruzing. 

Are you planning to get Aircondition kit? 

Nah, i welded up all those holes years ago. i might get a vintage air unit to blow air for a demister but that't it i think.

Rudi.

14 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I made my door seals and quarter vent seals from Kia Sportage 2000 door seals. Has to be 2000 model. 

I saw you can also use these ^^^ for the inner rear hatch seal - yes, it is not quite long enough so adding the off cut(s) from the doors will fill the gap along with some 3M rubber glue at the joins.