Rudolfs 2+2: The gleaming emerald......

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 5:31 PM, gav240z said:

https://aclassmetal.com.au/electro-plating-plastic-car-parts/

For Chrome Plating plastic... I believe @Ledge recommended them in the past!

Yes I did see the recommendations on here. I emailed them and never got a response.

After a few days I saw the original chrome shop here in Sydney had replied to me but the email had gone into my junk folder, so I had missed it. So we spoke, and I posted the parts to them.

They are charging me $300 to have them re plated. Not sure how that stacks up against A Class Metal. perhaps @Ledgeknows if there is any price variance?

I tend to want to Email people a lot so I have a paper trail to go back to. I really should just pick up the phone and call people. The problem is when I do that, everyone "forgets" about the conversations whatever they might be and there is a lot of "oh sorry it must have slipped though the cracks, we will book it in now, but you still cant jump the que...."

Anyway, its been 8 weeks and I called the chrome shop in Sydney, and wadda ya know? Someone at the shop had Covid so the entire floor was off for 3 weeks. So now everything is pushed back again, now we are looking at mid October..

At least I have lots of other work i can do...

Rudi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 8:31 AM, C.A.R. said:

LS? Why?

I first fell in love with the idea of a V8 zed about 16 years ago when I first saw George's zed "ONARUN"

We used to hang around the same group of friends, I'd always see it at the runs or cruises etc.

I initially wanted to go 350 chev. All my workmates (other old school mechanics) told me not to, gave me a big list why not.

I always wanted a "muscle car" or more of a "street machine", I've always wanted that V8 rumble.

So why didn't I buy a LX Torana or a Ford Capri or something like that? I also liked the Zeds so I got one.

Truth be told in the beginning I was planning on keeping it L series. I bought a L28, I still have it. I bought a trick 6 Mikumi bike carb set up from someone on here (cant remember who), and I have a set of SWR 6-1 race headers too.

But what, I'm going to spend 10k to have a motor built and its going to make 250hp to the wheels and be slower than my daily driver? I want a fun weekend car that has some poke. Something I can take to the Drags and Roll racing.

I did like the zed when it was on the road, I could absolutely wring its neck through all the gears and I wasn't breaking the speed limit, It was fun to thrash around. But it was slower than everything else I own, including my forester, common...

I don't have 45k to buy a 350hp L.C.R engine.

My motor is fully rebuilt with a hot cam and ported heads, and including the cost of the motor, only owes me $3600 and will make 400-450hp.

I do understand the rest of the conversion will most likely end up seeing me spend well over 10g once its all done and dusted.

I don't have the strange fetish for purity and owning multiple zeds like a lot of you do on here. Personally I don't see the point of owning 5 of the same car. If I ever got a second project car, it would be importing a 69 Nova from the states.

Its only a 2+2?

But to put it in one sentence:

I Loved Wangan midnight and I love drag racing, and burnouts, and boobs, and V8's?

I.... I think I might be a bogan....

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, CroS13 said:

I don't have the strange fetish for purity and owning multiple zeds like a lot of you do on here. Personally I don't see the point of owning 5 of the same car.

Ouch, apply water to burns. :)

If my opinion is worth anything, I'd get it back on the road with the L-series first and drive it for a bit to see what you think. I know they are not particular fast compared to modern stuff, but I also think they are quite well balanced with the L-series and make for a fun drive.

But also, for you.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/windsor-347-1976-datsun-260z

17 minutes ago, CroS13 said:

I Loved Wangan midnight and I love drag racing, and burnouts, and boobs, and V8's?

I.... I think I might be a bogan....

Rudi.

;D We might all be bogans in our own way.   Your car Rudi your choices. Not my cup of tea but that’s my choice. Thumbs up  

Jeff

1 hour ago, gav240z said:

Ouch, apply water to burns. :)

If my opinion is worth anything, I'd get it back on the road with the L-series first and drive it for a bit to see what you think. I know they are not particular fast compared to modern stuff, but I also think they are quite well balanced with the L-series and make for a fun drive.

But also, for you.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/windsor-347-1976-datsun-260z

I did have it on the road and drove it for about 8 months before I started tearing it down. Probably with a fresh motor it would be nicer to drive compared to the worn out pile that was in it, wanting to stall at every lights.

But then again, yes, I've read that article with that Z BADWOG. I like it!

A friend took me for a drive in his V8 2+2 and I was sold!

Maybe the next one will be L-Series powered.

Rudi. 

• 3 months later...

Update January 2022

So I have been chipping away at the Zed....

The first step was to clean and paint the engine....

493 new shed

I now Identify as a 350 chev. Please only refer to me by my chosen engine code.

Plan is to "dress it down" and make it all look old school.

494 new shed

507 new shed

looks like it was made to be in there from factory! =)

508 new shed

kwovcbl (2)

Also tackled some wiring with my apprentice.

Doing a remote coil pack relocation to the firewall to tidy up the engine.

501 new shed

And here is the finished result. Not entirely happy with the harness, ill probably try and neaten it up a little by re wrapping it, or get LS3 coil packs, where the harness plug is on the bottom of the coil, so I can run the harness underneath and hide it a lot easier. I will see how it looks once I have the plug wires on it.

504 new shed

And now the tricky part is trying to fit the T56 from underneath, without it rolling off the floor jack and splitting my head open like  watermellon!

Rudi...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...