Rudolfs 2+2: The gleaming emerald......

• Administrators
On 10/16/2018 at 12:27 AM, CroS13 said:

Now... According to that site, the dark green is 240 racing green metallic, only offered in the US market 280z.

This is why those sites are misleading, first of all they say it's only offered in North American markets for the 280z, but it's simply not true as I've shown in the photos I attached, all these colours were available over here on our market 260z's.

I like both Green's but on a 2+2 I think the darker colours work better. If it was a 2 seater I'd go #302 or #303 Emerald Green #240 racing Green will look good on a 2+2.

• 3 months later...

Update 1.2.19 - A short trip to Japan with a semi interesting video.

Quickly, on the zed front....

Nothing. I went down there today.

Painter has essentially got out 3 of the 4 cars in line before mine. He painted 2 of them over Christmas which i was a bit surprised about, I didn't know he painted the Cortina too.  He is working on Youhan's car now and mine is next. I said i will check up on him in 3-4 weeks.

Anyway...

Over Christmas i was overseas and made a quick stop over in Japan for 8 days. Really wish i had more time but it wasn't to be, as the wife and i were in the Philippines for family stuff for most of our holiday.

I  Wanted to hit up a few of the shops i had visited before. Super autoBachs, and especially Tam Tam hobby store. I regretted not buying a nice 240z model last time i was there for my honeymoon, so i made sure i got... uhh... quite a few models while i was there.

Anyway i cobbled a video together of some of the highlights, checking out tam tam hobby, super autobachs and trying to hit up a Upgarage.  not my best work as it was done with my phone camera, but i think its interesting enough to watch.

Rudi.

• 4 months later...

Update June 2019: Bodywork started on the car!

Just a bit of a update on the zed. Painter called me and said he started working on my car, and so far has done 2 weeks worth of work to it.

The bodywork is pretty much complete now.

Here is a photo i took the first few days he had started on it:

48036866668_80193de1c6_b.jpg 

He has since finished the body work and re painted the car in epoxy.

Next he mentioned he would put the car in High fill and it would sit for a month or 2. But he did also mention he is getting stuck back into JDM TOY's car.

I did a update video where you can see 80% of the bodywork done. 

I also bought another forester because i'm a idiot, and my wife and i finally bought our own home and moved in 2 months ago, i have ALONG road to go, to deck out my new slightly smaller garage! The shed at my family home is still mine, heck, i built it, but there is no room for the zed there anymore, it will have to come to my new home, but i have no tools here, so that needs to be fixed asap!

whoops!

46861961944_a2f2cc0fe1_b.jpg

So yes! finally work has started on my car after 1 year of waiting patiently at the bodyshop!

Rudi.

• 1 month later...

Update July 2019 - Bodywork finished! the car is in High Fill!

Bodywork is now complete on the car.  Minus 1 area i want him to redo if we are being honest.

I am not 100% happy with the fuel door to fuel filler hole. When i had that panel made for me, i didn't send down my fuel flap to use as a template, so another 260z was used as a template, and the cars and panels and my flap was a little off. It was never a perfect fit.

I must have spent a good couple of days tack welding and building up the edges of the fuel door, and tacking and finger sanding the recess for where the door sits.

I got it 95% there and gave up, and said, bah! the painter can fix it.  really should have just took the time to make it perfect.

So it needs a little meat welded on one corner of the fuel flap and shaped to match the hole recess. it also needs a ever so slight bit of smoothing on the top edge. that will be addressed next week. The car has been in high build for 10 days now. The longer the better.

In Epoxy after repair work complete:

Its hard to see the repairs needed to fuel door in this photo but trust me they are there. This photo was taken 3 weeks ago.

48326627287_579804f361_b.jpg 

And in High Fill Yesterday:

48326499066_e3895ea3a7_b.jpg 

My car might actually be done before Yohan's! what the!

Rudi.

• 2 months later...

Update September - First paint on!

So After nearly 1 and a half years the car finally has "some" paint on it.... The Interior has been done in Semi gloss black.

They are starting to rub the body down for paint. I gave the painter the deadline, the first time i have. I want the car back by the end of the month.

He says it should be painted in the next 2 weeks or so....... 

48811888316_9b080d564f_b.jpg

48812033372_901f608eff_b.jpg

I also got Some of stuff plated at the electroplater.  Mainly just the door, bonnet and boot latches and strikers for now. 

They said it would be 2 weeks, it took 2 months. I asked about getting the bumper bars re chromed and fixed and he said there was a 4 month wait at least.....

I might try someone else....

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

2 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

@CroS13

Cant wait to see it painted. Post up a picture of your garage

Heh! Which one? My garage at my parents place or at my new house LOL?

I'm guessing Marcel mentioned that i painted the walls at my new place to match the car yeah?

Big work in progress but here we go, i took the car paint sample to Bunnings and matched it to the wall... sorta... hard to do for a metallic paint, just gets it in one type of light and makes that shade the solid wall paint:

48598610127_f0830e5763_b.jpg 

Rudi.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, CroS13 said:

Heh! Which one? My garage at my parents place or at my new house LOL?

I'm guessing Marcel mentioned that i painted the walls at my new place to match the car yeah?

Big work in progress but here we go, i took the car paint sample to Bunnings and matched it to the wall... sorta... hard to do for a metallic paint, just gets it in one type of light and makes that shade the solid wall paint:

48598610127_f0830e5763_b.jpg 

Rudi.

Haha yeah Marcel mentioned it to me when I was there the other day. Its going to look good in that garage, especially when its all done 

Well it has been a long time coming Rudy. Good things come to those who wait. The car looks sensational, you must be over the moon to have achieved this milestone. Now the fun part begins. I look forward to the reassembly.

Cheers Jeff

DISCLAMER: 

I haven't seen the car in person yet, these photo's came from the painter last night at 9pm. Earliest i can go down is Friday.

18 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

Wow Rudy seriously looks amazing champ, congratulations on the progress. It was about time Marcel pulled his finger out hahaah, NEXT! 

Is Marcel going to put it together for you?

Nah, Only thing i cant do is paint and trimming. I'll be doing the rest myself :)

10 hours ago, jeff43 said:

Well it has been a long time coming Rudy. Good things come to those who wait. The car looks sensational, you must be over the moon to have achieved this milestone. Now the fun part begins. I look forward to the reassembly.

Cheers Jeff

Over the moon is a understatement. 4 years of me fixing all the rust at home, 1 and a half years at the paint shop... its been a long long time, here i'm hoping it doesn't take another 5 to finish it! (should be able to smash it now) Wife wasn't home, i was by myself and found myself pacing up and down the hallway like mad as i was messaging the photos to a few of my mates! Was that exited i struggled to sleep last night! 

2 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

If I ever see this in the flesh, I shall rub my crotch on it.
It's THAT GOOD.

I'm going to hold you to that buddy. I want to see sack out, caressing the quarter panel! :P

pumped up to see it on Friday in the flesh!!

I gave him my go pro too, to film him painting it. So should make for a nice Youtube video update!

Hanging panels were getting done today i think!

Rudi.