PeterAllen

TAFE COURSE - Sydney - St George

For all you chaps salivating over Paul's (Ledge) new fabrication toys it's important to realise that you need the skills to operate them. St George TAFE is taking enrolment for a course (4 hours one night per week) where you can learn these skills and fix your car at the same time. There is really no structure to the course but rather you are taught and learn as you make or fix your own panels. $325 per semester (16 weeks) may seem a bit steep but it equates to only $5 an hour. With no serious buyers showing interest in my project it looks like I will be pressing on and signing up for the course again.

http://www.sydneytafe.edu.au/coursefinder/28399

post-684-144023704763_thumb.jpg

post-684-14402370477_thumb.jpg

Man, that's CHEAP, if I was local, I'd be signing up for it (As long as it didn't conflict with my current school schedule lol).

One day I will own and know how to use some of the lost art metal working tools. :)

Just to remind those who might be interested there is a course available at St George TAFE (NSW) which allows you access to a fully equipped workshop to do your own thing. There is expert advice available on how to make or restore panels if needed.

It now runs for 3 hours every Tuesday night and there is a new intake starting in July. Cost has gone up a fair bit thanks to Barry O'Farrell and they are somewhat desperate for numbers to keep the course running and my own project will be left high and dry if they pull the pin. Call the Head of panelbeating (9598 6323) and ask about Vehicle Restoration.

The chap running it certainly knows his stuff. He builds cars for movies, eg. Mad Max, The Great Gatsby... by the way the Duesenberg is a Ford F150 with recreated Doozy panels! Here are some other examples of his work and web site http://natolipanelcreations.com.au/videos/ Check out the videos

PLEASE come and join us.

8eqa.jpg

xln4.jpg

Hi Peter,

When does the next course start? It looks like I'll be in Sydney around the 19th of August.

16th July - I looked it up on Google!

To be honest I'm not too optimistic that they will get the number of starters they need (12) so PLEASE, anyone who is slightly interested, phone up for the details.

You could knock one of these up before Christmas.

p2kk.jpg

That's some beautiful work right there.

Would be a shame if you couldn't get the numbers. Potential to lose even more skill and experience from previous generations.

I did three years at St George TAFE, fitting/machining/turning/welding, got my papers, and took out top student for each of the three years!

That bottom pic is from Nugent's shop in Dubbo, called in there a few years back, he makes body bucks from scratch, then hand beats alloy panels to finish with the above.

Wait till you experience the English Wheel, marvellous simple bit of stuff!

I met Peter last week and checked out the facilities and it was very impressive. I hope to be signing up.

Peter, any more word on whether the course is going ahead? Apparently I'm "on the list" but haven't heard current status.

Cheers,

Jason

Peter, did this go ahead? I searched on the TAFE site but didn't come up with any results for 'vehicle restoration'. Do you know if they're offering it for the next semester?

Hi Peter/George

Thanks George for following this up

As I will be in Sydney next year for a short term I have also signed up.

I also hope we get the numbers $455 is a cheap rate to get guidance on these skills , plus networking with other people interested in this.

and another option to the ManShed with all the toys for this supplied

Phil

What the hell is going on here, I spoke to them today and they said the course is full and I can't enrol.*

Seriously, I'm only going half the time this term as I'm just about done with what I need to do. Now mostly making moulds for fireglass body modifications. I probably won't enrol next year.

I was surprised that the increased fee hasn't deterred anyone and the class numbers are actually bigger than before.

* Joke Joyce

Well peter

You had better upgrade to the new product

Fibreglass is OUT - Carbon fibre is IN

Theres another 3 months and bigger charge for finished product

Phil

Well peter

You had better upgrade to the new product

Fibreglass is OUT - Carbon fibre is IN

Theres another 3 months and bigger charge for finished product

Phil

I'm trying to turn '72 Datsun into a '63 Ferrari - carbon-fibre hadn't been thought of (for cars) in '63.

OK boys and girls, the course is available. Who's up for it and which date? Would make sense to apply for the same one.

St George Available 11-Feb-2014 08-Apr-2014 Enrol Now $470

St George Available 29-Apr-2014 24-Jun-2014 Enrol Now $470

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=29588&tpInd=Y&selType=coursesResults

Oh oh oh I was going to ask about this, do we have the numbers of interest? I thought I already signed up. But guess not. Either will work for me, or should I say I'll make either work for me?

Might be better to start with April, which would give me some time to strip some bits off the old Safari Project.

I had signed up as well but received no update. Just happened to check today and saw that the course is available.

I'm happy with either date so I'll go along with whatever is the popular choice.

They run it in four terms per year, not two semesters. What you are seeing there is the first and second terms.

Gavin, and others, I suggest you sign up for both terms, the first to learn some basic skills. Believe you me it's not as easy as Paul shows it. There's quite an art to inserting metal fragments in your eye or running an oxy torch over your fingers, although how to slice your fingers on a piece of metal is quickly learned, probably in the first week!

Peter, I'm a bit confused. In your original post you said it was $325 per semester. The cost listed in that link I just posted suggests $470 per term which equates to $1880 for the 4 terms. That's a bit steep to be honest. Unless I'm not reading it right and it is $470 per semester.

You can thank Barry O'Farrell for the price rise. In fact he wanted to scrap all TAFE courses that weren't directly job/employment related but there was quite a backlash with students writing to their local members.

Funny thing is at $325 for 18 week we were struggling to get starters but when they jacked the price up the class was full... go figure?