Clutch problem L26 in 240z

Magnet

Just hooked up my L26 hooked to my 240z flange type gearbox and it appears that the clutch/flywheel is too thin

The clutch fork hits the bellhousing before/as it starts to depress the clutch

Is there any differences between 240z/260z in the gearbox/clutch area that would give this problem?

Likely has a 260z clutch.

Very frustrating

Thanks, Ryan

• Moderators

There are at least 4 (I know of) bearing carriers with different heights; try to find a zed wrecker or parts place that have several for you to compare your original and try to find a longer one. Bearing carriers and clutches are usually matched.

I had a similar problem with mine after fitting a new box and clutch, it was sorted by replacing the bearing carrier for a longer one. If you measure the one you have as a starting point, Stewart Wilkins Motorsport can supply them if you can't find them else where.

i had the same issue recently when I (apparently foolishly) used the carrier from the new gearbox instead of the old one.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but as a bit of a bodge to get the clutch to engage correctly with the shorter carrier I just made a longer push-rod for the clutch slave. Possibly not a great long term solution for the clutch, but mine was stuffed anyway, I just wanted to test the box  ;)

That and I didn't fancy spending another hour doing gearbox-pushups!