my original 240z now a work in progress

JDM_240z

Yeah i talked to the owner of the blue car, it's on Hybridz and runs an RB25DET.

He also runs S12 Silvia suspension and power steering in the front and R33 suspension in the rear. Both these setups narrow the track, which lets him run the wider than normal wheels.

It also looks like in the photo where you have the 9" wheel on the car, that the suspension is drooping a fair bit which will being the wheels in closer to the body due the suspension geometry.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh really, I'm glad you pointed that out ! Well since I'm not doing anything like that suspension wise that really puts shafts my idea, but I guess that is what forums are for. A lot more to do before wheels anyway, sand blast and paint engine bay, put engine together and in the hole, remove subframes and rebush everything and paint.

Yeah sorry, not trying to be a wet blanket, but people always come on here saying they are going to fit massive wheels without flares and "reinvent the wheel" so to speak lol.

There is a build thread on hybridz.org for the blue car if you want to check out more on it.

What carbs are you going to put on that manifold?

My bosses have some dellorto 40's lying around which he is going to give me, so i'll re kit those and see how they are. I'd love to do the OER injection but due to $$$ that will have to wait.

Yeah sorry, not trying to be a wet blanket, but people always come on here saying they are going to fit massive wheels without flares and "reinvent the wheel" so to speak lol

Its fine, thats very useful information and appreciate it. I wasn't trying to fit ridiculously large wheels but trying to get that nice stance look. I've had to go away and rethink the whole wheel side and think i may have to pursue going down the path of ZG flares to get the look I want with 16x9 -13 and 16x8.5 -6 maybe.

Yeah that is the combo im running. If you run any sort of decent calipers on teh front you will probably need to add a 5mm spacer to that too. Otherwise you can fit a 9" on the front.

I won't be running any larger brakes than factory so I can't see any clearance issues.

I did some wok over the weekend, fitted the crank, one rod and piston and put the head on to check valve to piston clearances. Plenty of room by the looks of it which I good, get the new pistons pressed onto the Rods now and put the short block together. I still need to do some head setup such as shim the cam towers and get some thicker lash pads then that is ready to be bolted on.

null_zps36c46c6e.jpg

Just need to buy more bits like new timing gear, oil pump and gasket set.... At least the ball is rolling now

I was talking caliper clearance not larger diameter. You will want to get to at least some bolt on hilux calipers and vented rotors for any sort of spirited driving. The stock brakes suck pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that guys, might have to roll with 16's then as that car looks so dam tough!

Got more work done last night, assembled the short block and tonight the head goes on.

null_zpsefe1876d.jpg

null_zpsf056dc33.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing a bit of work over the last couple of weeks cleaning and painting components. Painted the rocker cover and sump in wrinkle paint. Brought a new oil pump due to some scoring in the old one.

null_zps170e910f.jpg

null_zps0eb16acc.jpg

null_zps4ef18383.jpg

null_zps11216b55.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted on here but in between putting a rock on my fiancé's finger and treating myself to a new mountain bike the black hole in my wallet is slowly starting to close.

Originally I was going to just paint the engine bay while the motor is out but as us token kiwis say... Nek minit I've gone for a full body respray. I've got my chassis back and the panels are being prepped . Here are some before and after pics:

null_zpsdc31ac71.jpg

null_zps0499f0a4.jpg

After

null_zpsbe17000b.jpg

null_zps9760e92e.jpg

Got a bit more work done over the last few days. Managed to get the the brake booster and lines in, as much as I would like to put in all new master cylinder and lines but I need to draw the line somewhere otherwise it'll never be finished. Besides it retains the original character  ::)

null_zps78709136.jpg

I've also pulled the subframe out for re bushing and coating. I'm going to sand blast the major components  and paint them with POR 15. I'm waiting for my suspension bush set to turn up from the USA , as you can see the bushes in it are TOASt!

null_zps33975afa.jpg

null_zpsca547190.jpg

Don't stop the music. It's great to see such pace in a build. I have a full bush kit from the states so if it's going to be weeks before it arrives yell out and i'll post out what you need. You can always send me the replacements back later.

Cheers for the offer, hopefully they'll arrive late next week or the following. It gives me time to get the subframe etc done. I really  want to get the drive train in the before I pull the rest of the car apart for paint, I have no garage floor left as it is. Then I can do the same with the rear subframe.

I'm still deciding how I'm going to lower the car, I really want to buy the parts but I'm not sure how far to lower it yet so catch 22 really.

Had some more goodies turn up today from the states

null_zps47b1e9d3.jpg

Full suspension bush kit and my chassis paint turned up also. Big Saturday coming up, need to strip the doors ready for paint. Hopefully drop my subframe and suspension off for sand blasting tomorrow as well.

Making fast progress mate, well done.  8)

Let us know how you go installing the bush kit. I've got one from the US as well but haven't started installing it yet, I'll be interested to see how much of a pain they are to swap over.