Watanabe RS on 240Z

240Z_au

Guys

Quick question to experts in the know. I have a 240Z which I'm not lowering (just yet), but probably will down the track and I'm hapy to roll the lips as much as needed, but not instal flairs etc. I want to maximise the space and install the best combo tyre sizes for the following:

15 inch wheels

Front 8 inch offset 0

Rear 9 inch offset -13

Your experiance/recommendations?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have AZC coilovers, no flares or rolled guards and run 17x7.5 + 4 (245/45/17)

You really dont want to go wider as it will be rubbing and hitting the guard. Mine touches a franction on a big dip or if i get into it during a corner.

If you want wider flare the guards

I have AZC coilovers, no flares or rolled guards and run 17x7.5 + 4 (245/45/17)

You really dont want to go wider as it will be rubbing and hitting the guard. Mine touches a franction on a big dip or if i get into it during a corner.

If you want wider flare the guards

Your problem is the 245 wide tyre, not the rim.

Id agree, but I used to run 17x7 with the exact same tires and that never scrubbed at all....... do you think the extra .5inch of the rim if causing that much difference? I dont even hear it scrub, so it much only a little

• 2 months later...

No one is running 15 inch wheels with the offset at the begining of this thread?.. Trying to opush boundries, panel work not a problem (within a reason, I dont want to be running truck flares :)

Thinking now 235/5015 rear and 225 fronts. Not much choice in Australia

Supply at Wata R type rims in Gunmetal arriving shortly

Sell as pairs or sets 600/1200

Ex Brisbane

15x9 Neg13 load capacity 630 kg ( forged) 8kg weight

What are these? Watanabe copies? Real Watanabe R-type wheels are not forged, but weigh 7.4kg

http://www.watanabe.com.au/page3.html

You have seen with the replies that getting 9" on the rear of a S30 is hard work with stock guards and with a -13 you have more out than in. If you look at the images above with a 8" with a 0 offset then try and imagine another 1" more sticking out as that is the end result of a 9" -13 vs 8" 0 as both have same back space aka 4.5" approx so the 9" will have its extra width all out towards the outside of the car aka 1" wider than what you see shown above.

That is why no many have replied about running that size rim = you can't not without lots of guard work or a very stretched tyre aka 205/55/15 or the like on a 9" rim = epic fail would not be legal here in NZ anyway as recent rule changes = stretch is now legal.

If you also look at the blue zed above (the one I keep referencing to) you might make out that there is less clearance in the rear than the front with the same size rim/tyre package - this is just the way it is, there is less room in the rear of the 240z or 260z 2 seaters. If you want to run wide rims with a stock guard you need the 2+2 that have a bit more room (not much) or get a 280zx they have a lot more room in the rear for a 9"

Are you referring to Z-G flares as truck flares?

At the end of the day no matter how much you want to push the boundaries, the measurements stay the same. So if you are open to flaring it you can run whatever you want. There are many different types of flares available for zeds.

I did the maths on it and there are a couple of people running 9" rear wheels but they are more like +22 offset and you need coil overs for more backspacing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. Much appricited. Have been busy, so not signing onto the site daily. Anyway, ended up putting on my 10 inch wide rims at the back with 225/50/15 all around. Not ideal, as I wanted to get more rubber at back, but the tyre stretch is not excessive. I'm hunting for something like 245/40/15 or even 265's, but cant seem to find anything anywhere in the world, incl Tirerack. I think there are some cutom sizes that are being made every so often (I know for a Countach for an example, you need to wait for prodution to be available (345x35x15), so I will hunt for some wider sizes and replace the 225's as soon as I find some. Not going for the flairs though. They just look to industrial for me. Will be cutting the guards and extending the original lines to make the rear wider without bolting any fibreglas bits and pieces on. The plan it to now put the interior back in and off to th panel shop again.

post-851-144023716785_thumb.jpg

post-851-144023716794_thumb.jpg

MSA do a flare kit that isnt the bolt on style. Maybe easier just to get a set of them?

I have michelin pilot sports in 245/50/16 maybe worth seeing if they do it in a 15"

Do you even lift bro?

In case any others are,,,, ummm, "i like that!"

I have a couple sets of brand new in the box replica fake copy knock-off Watanabe R tupes in 15x9 neg 13 suit Datsun, in Gunmetal matt silver.

1200 a set.

AND can order in,, 15x10 neg 32 in all black!

• 7 years later...
On 12/14/2012 at 6:06 PM, mossy said:

I'm running 16x8 0 offset wats 225/45 tyres and I rolled the rear lips on the guards. See pics on my build

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,4438.50.html

Not being a numbers wiz, I've been trying to figure out what setup I'll go when I can wrangle some Watanabes... and this is it for sure (links to a photo post of yours). 

Thanks @mossy

Edit: Wait, looks like these are actually 15s after a later swap... I need to properly read your thread, haha. I skipped ahead! 

Edited by mikedoeslife