One wheel pokes more than other? Uneven fitment? HELP!

brains

Hi there,

Wasnt sure which subforum to post this in but basicly my front right wheel (17x9 -13) is almost flush with the guard and then my front left wheel (same specs) is inset by a very noticable amount. Im concerned there is something seriously wrong with the car, Ive measured the guard space and they are even so its not that, Ive also measured the mounting points for the guards in the engine bay on diagonals to see if that measured up the same, and it was fine.

Any insight? Maybe this is common? The car is a 79 280zx 2+2, only owned it for about a month now.

Here are a couple pics,

Right

A9699A19-50D2-46FA-9361-3E292EFC7A1D-4200-000006683E3A12E9.jpg

Left

1CACBEEE-70C6-49A6-8423-9D43564C74F8-4200-0000066847EC08C8.jpg

Thank you in advance!

That is a massive amount of difference, definitely not 'normal'. Have you measured the distance from the mounting face on the disc to the edge of the guard? Is the front end geometry all out?  Does the car pull to one side? And have you tried swapping the wheels to confirm that they ARE the same?

One of my front guards sits further back than the other, I can't confirm how but my front end isn't completely square, it's had a bit of a knock previous to my owning of it.

Wheels and tyres are brand new and have been measured they are deffinately the same, I just put in new shocks and springs and studs so Ive pulled it all apart and put it back together, its all the same 280z hubs non scalloped. Going to take it to a shop on the weekend and get them to check out all the alignment of both wheels and chasis etc so we will have to wait and see I guess. Also the struts are of the same distance aswell.

I just noticed also the right rear is also pertruding slightly more than the rear left but not as noticable as the front..

OH! that's actually a good point made by Mr Camouflage. I know of a dropped 280ZX over in Texas, it's a series 1 and can fit 16x12 -20s with less poke than I can fit my 15x9.5 -57s. I think the track of the earlier 280ZX's was shorter than that of the series 2 (or later models).

It could be a case of someone replacing one side due to damage but taking the parts from an earlier ZX.

Wait.. aren't you selling it though?

Yeah ive put it up but Im in no rush to sell and Im still going to make sure its in tip top shape for next owner :)

I try and sell cars how I would like to buy them, if that makes sense.

I agree, check the camber each side - it's not uncommon for the front struts/stub axle to get bent, such as if the car has gone sideways into a kerb at some stage in it's life. So even for starters have a look at the clearance between strut & tyre on each side so see if the pair match.

• 2 years later...

How was this problem solved in the end? I have exactly the same issues as this would be good to know how you fixed it!!!

If you could send me a PM about it be much appreciated.

Edited by ZED83

Hi ZED83,

I think you are being a bit too hopeful asking for a reply from brains.

He has not posted here since 9 December 2012, when he announced that he had sold this car.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/9700-syd-fs-1979-datsun-280zx-22-manual-na-5000/?do=findComment&comment=118989

It seems that the car became a parts car and probably no longer exists - the uneven wheel positions may have been a major contributing factor in its demise.

If you have a similar issue with your car, there are many suggestions above to diagnose the problem - have you tried them yet?