240z / 260z replacement engine bay & Floor rails, Now available S.A.

nat0_240_chevZ

Thanks Billy, glad they worked well for you.

been away this last week and missed the posts.

your beater has done well, glad he found them of good fit too.

Tell me, how solid do the floors now feel, say if you were to stomp your feet while seated etc.

Appreciate you posting your pics, comments and feedback on this thread,

cheers Nat0

Hey Nat0,

Now that the floors are straight and flat as well, very solid. Can't say I have jumped up and down on them yet, the car is at the painters at the moment getting the sills painted, so have only tried by hand. Will yet you know when the seats are back in.

Billy.

post-1623-144023721087_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

GREAT,

thanks Billy, your panel beater did a good job.

glad to aid & assist you resurrect this area of your car.

I look forward to many more pics and stories of your experiences, aswell as others, with the use of some of my gear.

PS I absolutely love this colour.... esp on old girls like these.

Nat0

• 1 month later...

I bought the last set of full rails from Nat0 (I'm lead to believe) and am having them fitted by Andrew from Trackart.

He has posted a series of photos showing the work in progress.

For anyone interested you can find it here...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trackart-Custom-Fabrications-Pty-Ltd/366646096695933?sk=wall

cheers,

Sinisha

Thanks Sinisha,

yes the last set, Well available set anyways, as the LAST set is going on mine....

Please pass on my thanks for the pix, to Andrew from Trackart.

I look forward to the final pics of the job.

so far so good, let me know if you require any more, or need engine bay rails.

Are you also getting the Gearbox crossmember mounts reo'd similar to gordon?

cheers Nathan

Hi Nathan,

The job is done, along with a few other bits.

No I didn't get the gear box mount done, I don't have vibration issues with my car, although I did have floor flexing above the diff issues under full power in the first 3 gears.

To fix this Andrew tied the floor to the roll cage above the diff. I also had a proper race seat mounting setup made. he tied the castor rod brackets to the outer chassis rails as well.

You can see all the bits at the following link.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trackart-Custom-Fabrications-Pty-Ltd/366646096695933?sk=wall

cheers,

Sinisha

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

next batch under way..... (Gav, can mod and do a 'stock length' for you.)

I am really surprised how well they have been adopted........(especially the full length floor rails.)

I ended up selling my own set (front & floor rails), so I need to replace them both as Im almost ready to start working on my car again after a looong workshop move.

But now the hoists are in and up, mezzanine is done and the front car-park is now nearly fully concreted.

Really keen to get back into the cars again, especially now im able to get down and work instead of setting up workshop stuff (although a little more to go but not critical.)

also got plenty of interested parties in 260Z floor rails.....mmm.

any donor cars in adelaide (or surrounding) on a rotisserie requiring them,  2 seater and/or 2+2??? as i need to firm up some dims on the rails as-well as all the bloody humps and joggles in the floor.

Check the other Thread 'Lower Rad supports" LINK, for updates as I have done a couple of these in the last week or 2.

Cheers Nathan

Nato, if you make these 260 floors and rails, this might actually be a world first, as after an extensive search online I found nothing close!

I hope you succeed as there might be projects out there stopped due to simply lack of aftermarket support.

• Administrators

Great to hear it mate, I'm going to be buying floors soon so this is good news (was about to ask about how good the rare spares units are?). I think I might go full length rails on the early car, firm it up and make it handle better. I know it won't be original per-se but I'd rather the handling than have it feel like a wet noodle. Sometimes you just gotta be pragmatic ;).

Nato, if you make these 260 floors and rails, this might actually be a world first, as after an extensive search online I found nothing close!

I hope you succeed as there might be projects out there stopped due to simply lack of aftermarket support.

Darius, check out the rad supt's they have been dev'd for the 260z, so thats a start!!!! yea?

Nat0

Great to hear it mate, I'm going to be buying floors soon so this is good news (was about to ask about how good the rare spares units are?). I think I might go full length rails on the early car, firm it up and make it handle better. I know it won't be original per-se but I'd rather the handling than have it feel like a wet noodle. Sometimes you just gotta be pragmatic ;).

Full length chassis rails don't do anything for handling Gav. They just support the back of the floor a bit better.

Nathan , As you know from my message to you I would much prefer to get a set of replacement rails from you. .Having just found out the condition of mine and preferring to replace rather than patch ,would be great if you could help us 260 owners . I have seen that you can get ones from the US (Baddog) and Canada (Zedd Findings ) but I would be happier to give you the business . So close to getting my one finished hopefully you can get these up and running . Cheers, Will

I agree with Lachlan that the structural integrity is highly dependent on the sills rather than the rails. However, every bit helps and one advantage of full length rails is that you can create fixing points to tie them together at the rear (and the front), i.e. create a ladder structure, rather than use the standard Datsun bolt-on rear control arms cross-brace. It also gives you more options for alternative diffs.

I regret I didn't do it, but, I did create fixing points for a new gearbox mount which will give you some idea of the sleeve type fixing points I'm suggesting. I also ran an extra bit of weld securing the rails to the floor in that area.

Gearboxmount3s_zpsfbec4765.jpg

Gearboxmount4s_zps5a110421.jpg

Agree about the importance of the sills, when my 260Z was built nearly 20 years ago the sills were reinforced right along and then tied into the engine bay mmenbers. As far as the rails go, the 280ZX was built by the factory with them going right through to the back, probably one of the reasons why the S130 chassis was stiffer than that of the S30. A stiffer body is a quieter body too, less noise from drumming etc.

• 10 months later...

The Last time I spoke with him the answer was "not really"

He said he might make some more if there were enough orders.

I need another set of rails also, if anyone else is keen please let me know and Ill try contact him again with some numbers and see if hes keen.

They are really well made as we installed a set I had on one of our 240's a couple of weeks back. Pretty much a perfect fitment.

Gotta take my hat off to him