Sign in to follow this  
peter t

OIL LEAK-Speedo cable?

Hi All, I have a problem with oil weeping from the speedo cable. All joins are dry but oil is getting into cable and is weeping through the outer cable. Any suggestions?

Thanks Mate, I can see the O ring on the out side of the gear drive unit but that is not where the oil is leaking. Is there O rings inside. I have a spare so will pull apart and have a look.

If the O rings are gone, you can just get them from any industrial supplier.

Easy fix.

Don't forget to put a smear of oil on them before you fit it, to avoid it "picking up" and ruining the new seal  ;)

The o rings look like this:

Apparently, there is a small o ring and a large o ring in the part that mounts in the transmission. The inner small o ring stops fluid from going in the cable and large one seals in the gearbox.  I have done some research as I need to do mine.

Yes, you may find something suitable from other industrial suppliers.  Nissan may have them too.

post-1856-144023689232_thumb.jpg

Got the sucker out. It is actually a small oil seal. Will try to source locally and will get you one also. Numbers on seal are  NOK  AGO 24IF  12. 18  It is the one on the left of the red dat pics. The O ring in the pic is the outside ring.

post-1098-144023689234_thumb.jpg