PB’s - '77 260Z 2+2 Rebuild

C.A.R.

• Moderators

I hear you there!!

Have only had one night at home in the last week. I will be home on the weekend so hopefully will get at least one thing done.

• Moderators

Hi All

A couple of photo's of the bus when I got her back to Sydney last Sunday after the Paint & Panel was finished.

The car hasn't been used for about 4 years so now begins the task of getting her back on the road.

Tomorrow I will (hopefully  ;) ) sort out the rough running and make a start on fixing the ride heights, currently the nose is about 50mm lower that the tail  :o

Cheers

PB

post-3930-144023807271_thumb.jpg

post-3930-144023807278_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

A quick update

Have fitted the Kings Springs KDFL-04 & KDRS-09 and 260Z 2 seater rear hats.

Also fitted a set of "Rego Friendly" 195/70-14 tyres (these are the standard size) tyres.

The result ? The front is now 8mm or so lower than the rear.

A very pleasing result for height and stance.

Now to sort out the negative camber.

post-3930-144023809229_thumb.jpg

post-3930-144023809234_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Fun day yesterday

I made a start on the rough running and other things for rego, I came up with this initial list

- Overhaul and tune carbies

- Fix ehaust manifold leak

- Fix flange gasket leak

- Fix rear main seal leak

- Replace diff strap.

- Replace rack boots

I have decided not waste any time or money on the L26 & Auto and instead go straight to L28 Manual & R200 swap.

Accordingly pulled out the L26 & Auto yesterday afternoon.

This will put rego further away, but, such is life.

Cheers

PB

(will post a photo or two later)

• Moderators

Hi Rudi.

Thanks, I am happy with how it is sitting now, just need to swap the front mounts back to standard.

No I didn't replace the shocks, they seemed OK on a shortish test drive and have no leaks.

Cheers

PB

• Moderators

The pedal bushes fitted OK?

Mate, an absolutely perfect fit. Time will tell if they will need a thrust washer.

Will probably grab another set for the brake pedal as compared to the clutch it feels a little loose.

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

• Moderators

Started the next step of the project, getting the running gear L28E, Manual & R200 out of the rusty old S130.

This marks the end of the road for ZX, once I have removed all I need she will be scrapped.

post-102365-0-22729700-1440895456_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Had a bit of a look at how best to fit the EFI loom into the Bus tonight.

Low and behold what should I find in the passengers footwell ?

A cut out in the underfelt and a clip to hold loom in exactly the place I intend to pass the loom through the firewall.

Love it when a plan comes together.

post-102365-0-77611500-1441108277_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Broke out the Autosol and cordless drill to attack the rims.

Just amazing what a big difference you can make in very little time.

post-102365-0-65797500-1441198375_thumb.jpg

No they won't be perfect but they will be 1,000% better.

Edited by PB260Z

Nice Pete, seems things are coming along quickly.

What are your plans for computer, are you going to use standard or something else, maybe to control ignition too? Any chance of turbo-ing down the track?

Cheers

Mick

• Moderators

Hi Mick

Yeah making reasonable progress at the moment, but things will seem to slow down for the next few weeks while I attack some of the finer details.

What computer ? At this stage 100% stock ECU and induction, right down to the airbox. Then once registered enjoy it.

Later on ? Who knows but there are plenty options to consider.

Cheers

PB

• Moderators

Well, I ran into a minor "speedbump" in the project tonight.

Swapping in the R200 isn't going to as straight forward as I had hoped. The doner S130 has an R200 mated to CV drive shafts, whilst the S30 has an R180 mated to uni's, So a bit of research needed to determine the best way forward on that front.

For now will stick with the R180 and see how it's ratio works with the manual box.

The fun of it all

Great work so far, Now I know the story behind the smiling blue face that I see everywhere haha.

Seems a bit of a shame to scrap a S130, be nice to flog it off and let the bloke who bought it chuck some filthy v8 in there and turn it into a drift pig  :o

• Moderators

Seems a bit of a shame to scrap a S130, be nice to flog it off and let the bloke who bought it chuck some filthy v8 in there and turn it into a drift pig  :o

Once I have got all the stuff I need out the S130 I will be more than happy to flog it off to anyone who wants a rusted out S130 with a red interior.

• Moderators

Great work so far, Now I know the story behind the smiling blue face that I see everywhere haha.

To be fair, most of the work so far, and all of the panel was done by Lurch in his "Den of sin and rust"

• Moderators

Hi

Today I started on transplanting the fuel pump, regulator and related hardware from the S130 to the S30. This will require a custom fuel pump & regulator bracket. Time to get out the welder and fabricate something - love this type of work.

It is amazing the S130 was even running given the fuel that came out of the lines (see image) guess it proves that fuel filter is working.

post-102365-0-86678700-1442040802_thumb.jpg