PB’s - '77 260Z 2+2 Rebuild

C.A.R.

Nice work Locky :) When you cut out patches do you make them slightly undersize to prevent warpage when you butt weld them in? Noticed that there is a small gap around 1mm around them.

1mm gap for MIG welding Alex, none for TIG welding.

It depends on access to the back of the weld which process I use & weather or not it can be dollied straight after welding.

What are your plans for the bus? Stock daily? Is she an auto or a manual? Good to see another light blue bus saved.

Well since I've agreed on a sale price with Peter after it's back together, what happens to it will be up to him.

I do know it'll be converted to manual transmission though ;)

Let me know what you do for the rubbers on the 2+2 as I have been looking for where to source these.

I already have a new windscreen seal so the only one I'm replacing is the hatch glass rubber. Door seals etc are servicable.

2+2 rubber kits are available from Rare Spares

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/ProductPage.aspx?product=DAT21

or Scotts Old Auto Rubber

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/Datsun%201969-78%20240Z-260Z.htm

And probably the US as well...

• Moderators

Well since I've agreed on a sale price with Peter after it's back together, what happens to it will be up to him.

I do know it'll be converted to manual transmission though ;)

Now is probably a good time for me to comment  :)

The car is coming to Sydney and initial plans are

New springs, fix the hectic rake  ;)

Gold Simmons V4 (16X8 and 16X8.5)

L28E, Manual & R200

Beyond that nothing major, but are they ever finished ?

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

Good to see updates, a little scary that it was rusted near the rear shock tower. Never seen that before, but then again it is a Datsun :). Is the battery tray permanently going to be held in place with nutserts? Any reason you didn't spot/plug weld it? Do you want to remove it in future?

When you post all those updates in 1 go it makes me think you did this all yesterday. :).

Looks like panel gaps at front are nice and straight again.

1mm gap for MIG welding Alex, none for TIG welding.

It depends on access to the back of the weld which process I use & weather or not it can be dollied straight after welding.

Hmm looks like I might need to leave a bigger gap rather than get stuff to fit too snug! I tried the trick with cooling stuff down with the compressed air blow gun straight after I mig it and that seems to work pretty well, takes the heat out of it pretty quickly, beats standing around waiting for it to cool down after every few tacks!

I believe the hatch seal was leaking & water got into the hatch area, ran to the lowest point under the deadner & rusted out the floor.

Yes, the battery is going to be held in place like that indefinitely, Gav. It makes it easier to remove any dust, dirt  & debris that gets caught under there. Also makes it easier to paint ;)

I've converted quirt a few Zeds to removable trays - none have had any issues. I've done it to mine & that thing gets used at tack days.

The battery tray & panels were all done last week - everything else has been spread out over the last 12 months!

Good to see updates, a little scary that it was rusted near the rear shock tower. Never seen that before, but then again it is a Datsun :). Is the battery tray permanently going to be held in place with nutserts? Any reason you didn't spot/plug weld it? Do you want to remove it in future?

When you post all those updates in 1 go it makes me think you did this all yesterday. :).

Looks like panel gaps at front are nice and straight again.

• 1 month later...

awesome work as usual, its all down hill once it gets in paint so im told. 

Any particular reason you decided to use Nutserts instead of welding a nut to the back of the sheet metal before paint? Id be afraid that if i had painted the body the nut insert could crack the paint around its hole after you crimp it down, and it could rust there, in saying that ive only installed them into 3mm plate and not sheet metal.  trying to think which way to go for flares if i put them on my bus

Cant wait to see this thing in the flesh once it comes north.

Rudi.

• Moderators

Cant wait to see this thing in the flesh once it comes north.

Rudi.

All going to plan should be in Sydney mid August, it will be a while before it is out on the road though.

Cheers

PB

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Gidday

Quick update, The Bus is now in Sydney  :) :) :)

Lurch has done an incredible job on the paint & panel work - the body looks amazing.

Now it is time for me to get busy sorting everything else out: Mechanicals, Suspension, Electricals, Interior & a host of other little things.

I will start making a to do list next weekend, for now having a beer and relaxing after a long drive.

Cheers

PB

With the body & paint it now sorted, it'll be an excellent base to build on, with the refurbishment of the 'Blue Bus'.

Was great to catch up again Pete!

This build thread is now your's, mate. I look forward to more updates as the build progress's :)

Post some decent photo's when you can - I didn't get a chance to get a photo of it all back together before you left!

• Moderators

I'm guessing you didn't pull it home with the Pulman.  ;)

Very clever, and No I didn't.

I grabbed a Hilux TD SR5 from work for the trip.

• Moderators

Was great to catch up again Pete!

Post some decent photo's when you can - I didn't get a chance to get a photo of it all back together before you left!

Yep was good catch up with a few beers and a good feed. I will take some photo's on the weekend and post them up.

• Moderators

Awesome news Pete. Looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Don't hold your breath. I am flat out at work and won't have to much spare time to put into her for a few months.

I am currently thinking that I will quickly sort the requirements for rego and get her on the road, then worry about the bigger plans later.

Decisions to made  ???

thinking that I will ______ sort the requirements for rego and get her on the road, then worry about the bigger plans later...

It only required a one word change the make perfect sense.

Just yell out if you need a hand with anything.

Don't hold your breath. I am flat out at work and won't have to much spare time to put into her for a few months.

I hear you there!!