gav240z

Is a black bonnet tacky or cool?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is a black bonnet tacky or cool?

• Cool
    • Tacky

• Administrators

I just thought I'd get some opinions.

My car was tapped by some prick ages ago who decided to do a runner and he damaged my bonnet as a result. So I bought a fluted one and the guy who painted it did a fairly poor job.

Now my paint job isn't perfect by any means and a bit of rust caused some paint to flake off on my lower door so it seems pointless making the bonnet perfect with good paint since really the whole car needs a new paint job when I get time/money to do it.

I was thinking of prepping this bonnet for a black paint job just fora bit of fun and that old skool Z race car look.

I have a spare non-fluted bonnet for when I repaint the car in the future.

So I am wondering what everyone thinks is it a bit of lame look? do you think it's a pretty cool look? I was thinking it was a good idea yesterday but now not so sure. :?:

hehe i think its kinda cool and tacky at the same time, but if your doing it with a fluted bonnet you'd have to do the flut bits like a dark grey or something i reakon to make them still stand out a bit.

i reakon on my car as its a fairly dark colour i'd be able to pull it off without it looking to obviously tacky, any ricer people will think its tacky as u havn't gone all out ricing and doing carbon. would you do it flat black or glossy? some of the 432's came with a black bonnet yeah?

gav, it will look great, but not with ur current wheel color.... if there were grey or black would look awesome

if i can be bothered tonight i'll photoshop a pcture 4 ya

also the paint would have to be mostly nicely done, i know your car is in need of a paintjob, but from far away it looks all good, and up close you can just see that it gets driven kinda thing... just make sure if you do it, that you don't do it with spray cans....

matt black is actaully what a black bonnet is suposed to be, as its purpose for being black is so that when you are doing ur saturday racing, or sunday morning hillz spurts, and the sun shines on your bonnet on a downhill, you dont get sunglare...

but again, ive seen quality matt black spray caned full cars, as i did my old silvia like that, took alota spray cans, bout $240 worth for the whole car, and lots of time....

• Administrators

Haha I had a quick crack at Photoshopping it myself but it's very hard to make it look natural.

Flat Black would be good but I was gonna go the cheap way and have it glossy :roll: just because I'm a bit silly lol.

Maybe I'll just buy a C/F bonnet when I get the funds :).

I also wanted to put some bonnet pins in it since I have a nice spare non fluted bonnet at home.

Maybe I should just concentrate on finishing this motor off lol 8) .

was thinking about doing the same thing on my zed - white base colour, with a black bonnet...... Either that or having it white, but with a big black Z on the bonnet.

Bonnet pins are rather pointless I think, since Targa Tasmania regs state that a front hinged bonnet doesn't require bonnet pins to be fitted.

• Administrators

Yes but you missed the point bonnet pins look C@@L lmao.

They also make it look like your a regular on the track lol.

I think for now I should just concentrate on getting my new suspension in on the weekend and anything else that needs work. :shock:

i think nate said wat i was trying to say very well, if u got the black bonnet u'd needa get other black bits on ur car, and hence y i was saying on my car it would be easier to pull it off. when i was washing my car the other day i was actully thinking about painting the bonnet black due to all the stone chips in it...i'm gonna paint them all before i give it a wax but in the sun it just makes it reflect the holes hehe. here's a photoshop of my car with black rims and bonnet, and yeah getting the bonnet looking like its actully black paint is bad huh

and that red fairlady in japan looks like its bonnet is glossy, flat is the way to go but then its even more contrast to a degree....

iam rather pissed at the moment but will try and give my opinion anyway.

stick with the red bonnet, i think the black bonnet only looks good with white body. you dont really want your car painted to look Essendon colours do you!!!! Stick with Collingwood colours lol!!

Sorry about this reply but i have had a few Bundys and a few XXXX tonite.

evan a photoshop like that makes me more and more want to paint my car orignal green.... damn i like it with the dark wheels

think carbon fibre flares, and bonnet, wantabes and carbon fbre front spoiler... most likely not real carbon fibre, but that carbon fiber covering over fiberglass...

MMMMMM, dreams will come true one day... but nice work evan the guard spacing to the wheels looks fantastic as well...

thanks nate, yeah i'd love to get my hands on some carbon fibre flares and nice fat rims, and the bonnet and front spoiler would finish it off nicely too hehe. do you know if ash plays with carbon fibre too? (as he has the molds for the flares yeah?)

i'm debating weather to get these rims or not, u've probably seen them on toymods, but yeah would need spacers and they are only 15" (i think in the photoshopping i may of made them 16" hehe) but i think i'll let them pass and hold off until i can afford nice fat ones with flares...

i've seen a few bmw's round the dark green colour you were talking about and dam its nice, i've had one park next to me before and there is so much more depth in it and its such a classy colour, where sometimes the green of my car doesn't look that great

HI

I am actually doing a c/f bonnet for my race/road car but it will be just 1 layer of c/f and the rest will be fibreglass. But I am still a fair way off doing it. Still havent done the flair molds yet either.

gav just remember 2 cars means double the work! :D

(but could also be double the fun though hey)

Ash