Sign in to follow this  
Bozo

How much does it cost to replace a crank seal

Hi guyz,

I just coughed up a heft fee replacing my crank seal today. I'd like to receive input from other Z owners as to roughly how much it would cost to getting this replaced including parts costs.

Please no smartass responses such as "I fix crank seals myself" etc.

Many thanks!

Rear main seal? IIRC the seal is about $12, the rest of the cost is all labour. You have to remove exhaust, gearbox, slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, then fit seal and refit everything. I usually take 4-6hrs to do mine, flat on the floor with no hoist.

Probably why I'm a plumber and not a mechanic  ;)

Front Crank.

So how much including labour? which also includes trying to isolate the problem I guess?

I ended up paying around $246

I've got a sense of being ripped off...again... fuck

Front seal is in the timing cover. So you would, loosen alternator, remove belt, remove the balancer to get the old one out and fit new one. Replace everything, test run, 2-3 hrs plus parts+GST?? Labour is prob $65hr and thats a cheap estimate I think.

If you buy/have a Haynes manual, It tells you how to do these sort of jobs in a step by step process. Time is the biggest cost in almost every job

Yep sounds about right. Sometimes I take the radiator out, it makes it a lot easyer ,but longer,but at least you can see what you are doing.

Labour is $110 up in Ballarat so i assume more down your way! Trick is to ask around before you have these repairs done!

labour would have been 99 and the price was spot on to do it in a shop , if you can not do it your self you have to pay , old cars need to be worked on from time to time so if you wont one learn how to work on it . That's why we have them we like to play with them and enjoy there quirks