Front and rear CAMS approved tow hook ideas, show me what you have

sco_aus

Hey guys,

I am looking at my options for tow hooks and tow points and want to make sure it will be race legal.  I have searched around and found very little on the net in general. 

Show me what you have and why you think its a good spot to tow from (eg. strength, accessability, looks etc). 

Does it pass scrutineering for low level sprints etc?

PS, I have a 260 2 seater.

Cheers

Scott

No rear bumper?? Fit a U bolt to the bumper bracket holes through rear beaver panel

No front bumper?? Horizontal steel strap with loop hole cut in at end, use original bumper irons mount.i assume as it is CAMS requirements you are asking about, it is for a track car, and no bumpers fitted.

If bumpere fitted, latest trend is loops made of orange, or blue or red ratchet strap webbing, somehow double folded and through bolted.

You know how when you buy a 50 mm ratchet, it comes with like 9 metres of strap, well cut a bit off, take it to a canvas tent industrial machinist whatever, and have it made/sewn up.

Or, just go to a auto shop that sell tow straps, and buy them!

I had found them and am considering requesting them to make some.  Wasn't sure how good they were.

I should point out I also started this thread for anyone in the future thinking the same thing, so don't hold back any ideas and photos you might have.

My rear one is a bit of angle bolted to the bumper mounting point behind the bumper with a bit of rod heated and bent 90 degrees around some pipe with both ends welded to the part of the angle that sticks out near the bumper.  The front one is a similar design but a little more complicated to get it out past the front bar.

Here is what I have on the front, must be 1/4" thick steel, bolted to the chassis rail:

P1040038.jpg

And in the back, a steel bracket with a Head stud of all things welded to it, attached at the bumper mounting point, which is attached to the chassis rail. This one is a little strange to see, but I shot it from UNDERNEATH and looking back. So, the red bracket is bolted to the rear of the car and the black bracket and other black bits is the rear bumper.

P1040051.jpg

Works a treat, I've been towed a couple times and never had an issue with this setup.

These seem pretty good. I was going to make a set of my own but for the price of these, might as well buy them. Although it does say unavailable.

http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt93256/pd2119851/280Z_SCCA_LEGAL_2__FRONT_AND_REAR_TOW_BRACKETS_

for the price, these seem like a great buy. 

I'll check to see if they are available.  If they are, is anyone else interested in a group buy? (apologies for thread hijack)

That rear one looks like it might last half a tow before the right-angle snapped, but I wouldn't be caught dead using that front one, that's the quickest way I know how to bend your front end.

I wanted to mount the rotisserie to that point on my car and it couldn't hold the weight of an empty shell, would hate to see what would happen if you get a rough pull on an angle out of sand.....  :o

I've actually used both of the ZCCJDM tow points on several occaisions with no issues what so ever. The rear one was used to pull the ricey out of mud at a 90deg angle when it was bogged up to the floors. I have their front mount also which I have used from straight on only.

Personally I wouldn't pull from the front unless it's straight on, IIRC the front of the rails and radiator support area one of the weaker chassis points on a zed? If going for a welded type I would get it done professionally unless you're a mig master, with the one piece type you don't have to worry about quality of the welds.

Added old pics of the ZCC hooks on my bus. They are fairly well hidden when the bumpers are on, probably more so if color matched to the car.

post-1489-144023679197_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023679209_thumb.jpg

I got a reply from ZCCJDM,

"Thanks for your inquiry....

I have a batch being powder coated shortly.. Please give me a few weeks, and I should have new stock of both 240z and 280z style brackets.

If you buy in Qty for the shipment, it would be much more economical.

Shipping for a USPS Priority, costs about $45...... This would be for either 1 set, or as many sets as I can fit in the box. ( guessing max of 4-5 sets in a box.)"

Just to give you the heads up, i have the ZCCJDM tow hooks and the back is great but the front will not fit with my spoiler.

The front one comes out below the bumper and would require an attachment or cutting the spoiler.

other than that the quality is great!

pic of my cars attached for reference.

Johnboy

post-1894-14402367968_thumb.jpg

I got a reply from ZCCJDM,

"Thanks for your inquiry....

I have a batch being powder coated shortly.. Please give me a few weeks, and I should have new stock of both 240z and 280z style brackets.

If you buy in Qty for the shipment, it would be much more economical.

Shipping for a USPS Priority, costs about $45...... This would be for either 1 set, or as many sets as I can fit in the box. ( guessing max of 4-5 sets in a box.)"

I would be happy to have them sent to me then sent out to anyone who wants them.  I would require the money before doing the order from the though.

Nice picture of your car Johnboy, where was that taken. Hahaha.

A nice little island state with some of the best roads around, a great palce to blow a head gasket or diff...

'Insert ad for Carline Mufflers here'

I thought about not sharing the info, since some people on here are less than polite...  But seeing as it was you asking Scott, I decided it was the least I could do.