2013 Nissan Datsun Nationals

C.A.R.

Morning Gents,

Jodie and I had a great time down at the Island. Was nice to catch up with friends far and wide and see some awesome Zeds. Poor old Gordo missed his goal of a 1.50 time by .03 of a second. Maybe next visit to the track.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2013 Datsun Nationals Super Sprint Phillip Island Car 14

First of all, sorry I didnt really get a chance to catch-up with any of the guys from these forums.  By the time we travelled the 9 hours form Canberra, did doco, got the car off the trailer, got some food sorted, it was time to get some sleep.  My only complaint was all the people standing around talking and therefore taking up space for people that had just arrived from interstate and needed somewhere to park their car/van/trailer/etc. at the Ramada.

Now I understand why people say Phillip Island is such a great track, having never raced there before I got a bit of a shock at just how FAST and smooth the track is!  The familiarisation run was a real eye-opener (scared the sh*t out of myself and I wasnt even trying to go fast)!  I had to try to work out the following for 12 turns in just three laps;

• Braking points
  • Turn-in points
  • Corner entry speeds
  • Clipping points
  • Exit points (especially for corners where there was an important braking area afterwards)

Had a ball though!!  By the end of the day I managed a 2m04.5s lap which gave me 6th out of 21 in my class according to the Natsoft times (and in my view one or two of those probably should have been in the race classes).  For my first ever visit to PI in a car with standard brakes (solid discs and drums), standard engine (~80kW atw), open diff, standard gearbox, etc., Im pretty happy with that.

I also learned about the Cape Barren geese on Phillip Island, apparently the sound of very loud race cars doesnt stop them wandering on to the track and standing on the apex of a high speed corner!!  If I wasnt scaring myself enough, the geese were trying to help!  :o

Pictue here with the inside rear almost in the air!  http://www.sdpics.com/cgi-bin/e-store/index.cgi?action=view&link=8000~Motor_Sport/9000~Cars/05~Car_Club_Track_Days/9903~30_March_2013_-_NISSAN_DATSUN_NATIONALS/2~Group_4&image=A64H2528.jpg&img=80&tt=

The organisers did a FANTASTIC job, however there are a few little areas for improvement IMO;

• Not once did my armband get checked and
  • Not once, in pit lane, did the car get checked for the appropriate group coloured dot or scrutineering sticker  So really, anyone with a Datsun/Nissan and a number on the side could have driven out onto the track.

Although I attended both Saturday and Sunday, I wasn't able to spend anywhere near as long as I wanted on either day.

Sucks to celebrate your first anniversary on the weekend of the NDSOC nationals, eh?

Anyway, it was great to finally meet a whole bunch of familiar names from the forum and drool over heaps of cars.

I was so inspired to get mine back on the road I spend the whole day today working on it. A least the car stops properly now!

Great event, well organised and well run, the amount of preparation that went into it was obvious. Very well done NDSOC :)

But I do have an issue with the sprints where last time the newbies had a proper introduction to the circuit that was missing this time. The supposed intro session for NDN13 felt like a dodgem car event with all levels of experience out at once when what was really needed was a newbie group being given a chance to sort out directions, lines etc without getting in the way of anyone else. Also, the no passing in corners rule was ignored by some with no apparent penalty for what is I assume a safety breach.

PI is a track that requires more learning than most, if only for safety reasons. With AASA in Q newbs are run in their own group irrespective of their car and this seems to work well both from a safety and learning perspective.

Similar speeds?

On entry, you nominated a time. mine was a complete guess of around, but not under 2:00.

Groups seemed to be based from this into 3 categories.

Slow, medium and fast.

Of course, even in each of those there will still be quite a difference.

Guys i do a fair amount of sprint events here in SA and i

must say i was shocked to see the closing speed of the fast

cars up-roaching the slower ones. Im not sure how it was done

at PI but was ridiculous to say the least.

Then to see a car cruising around as to not trip the noise

level so he could go flat out in the next session, that is just

plain stupid.

But that being said, i want to come over in spring to blast my

RB26 Z around that thing.

On entry, you nominated a time. mine was a complete guess of around, but not under 2:00.

Groups seemed to be based from this into 3 categories.

Slow, medium and fast.

Of course, even in each of those there will still be quite a difference.

No nominated time from me because I was a PI newb, just like a few others. But car specs, lap times at other circuits and driver experience should give a fair indicator. Anyway, basically I'm just trying to give some feedback. Having been involved in Nationals myself I know it's not easy.

Well just linked every photo here and my computer just ate itself so lost the reply. Have a browse here at your leisure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57235973@N05/

Few goodies:

8624602864_ccdb511d4c_c.jpg

8624602892_a9ac43289e_c.jpg

8624605286_6920afc2ed_c.jpg

8624605264_81b74feea9_c.jpg

8624592854_4ed62b92e0_c.jpg

8623496739_f04f54f989_c.jpg

8623496709_10caf95b95_c.jpg

Hey everyone! Don't look at the missing passenger window crank!

Doesn't this make you think they should know down all the bronze horsemen statues and stick up some Z's?

8624568286_965c37f991_c.jpg

Anyway great weekend, lots of fantastic cars. Special mention to Greg's insane restoration, was pretty unbelievable.