2013 Nissan Datsun Nationals

C.A.R.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

OK, CAMS have got back to me (very promptly, I might add !!) - from 1st Jan, any roll cage padding in areas of the cage that your helmet may contact in an accident needs to be the SFI45.1 or FIA certified padding.

Other areas that your body can contact are "recommended" to have fire retardant padding, but since it is only a recommendation, it is effectively free. Run what padding you like, or none at all. Just make sure helmet areas are the correct type of padding.

My q's

a) whether I need any padding in these areas (ie the non-helmet contact areas, lower sections of A-pillar, b-pillar, door intrusion bars, etc)

b)whether any padding I fit (to these areas) needs to be FIA / SFI certified or

c) I can fit whatever Flame Retardant padding I like

The answers from CAMS

A) It’s not mandatory, just recommended

B) Padding complying with FIA 8857-2001 or SFI 45.1 is only mandatory for where your helmet can come in contact with the cage

C) You can outside of the areas where it is mandatory

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess the next question is, how do you know what type of padding it is. And the scrutineer will need to no as well.

I got mine from brown Davis but there's no markings or tags to say what it is. It's much fatter on one side than the other. So I'm not sure how they will be able to tell, the pool spaghetti looks very similar.

We might need to get Ash to get hold of the stuff, and might need to bring some down. Like fair dinkum ,I have a half roll cage. WTF may as well pull it out and race in the standard class. All these guys that have cages in there road cars, you can bet that at least half of them will not be aware of this ,or don't have time to get it.

I remember when the window net was introduced , everyone had to go and buy one ASAP. And they were hard to get. The scruteneer loved it , always checking the release mechanism and how it was mounted.

Then there was the new seat belt thing, they had to be dated, three year belts and five year use buy dates. Most of the seat belts were only used three or four times a year. Common since prevailed and they added another five years to the use buy date. Not to mention the date on the fire exitiusher.  Then the battery cut off switch. Now the padding.

Well it's all in safety and as Jason has said most of these changes come about because of repeated accidents and floors are found in the old system , so a new rule is implemented , and this is where we are at. At the padding shop!

Cheers guys, and have a safe trip down to the Island.

Just got more new padding, the new sfi45.1 stuff is rock hard! The only other difference is its fire rated and a rip off!

I'd rather have the old padding, it's very hard compress with your hands but at least there's some give in it. Fire rated padding is just over the top, how many other parts of a 40yr old Datsun are fire rated? Not many. This new garbage doesn't even go all the way around the bar, so who's to say in a roll over it won't move enough that side of the bar closest to you/your head becomes exposed?

What a load of crap this is!!!

CAMS.... Making entry level motorsport more inaccessible to everyday people!  >:(

There must be 1000 postings on racing racing racing.

Ive heard no mention on this forum of a nav run and anything for family and kids.

Im not into racing and dont have a cams licence, Im not feeling the love... :(

• Moderators

The kids can run on the replica Philip Island track with their go-karts if you want.  ;)

There is a nav run for those that don't want to race or prefer a nice drive around the island itself. Cams licence is easy to get; I got mine in 3 days..

Oh, those bar padding things.. $55 per length.

Sorry to keep going on about the padding. But it is s#% t. Tried to bend it to follow the main hoop, from the drivers shoulder up and over the head, about 80%. Gave it a bit of heat as suggested and it clean snapped in half like a French bread stick. Bugger!