S30 - Racing and Period mods

NZeder

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry guys didn't mean to start any arguments, thanks for the replies and I value everyone's opinion on the subject. I will be sure to start a thread about me and my Z racing closer to when it is happening (don't hold your breath). Your welcome to PM me if you think there is some advice on the topic I should know  :)

No arguments here just two old men who like yelling at clouds ;)

As I said, consider what you want to do, is it sprints, hillclimbs or targa type events or do you want to eventually make the step to door to door?

Once you know what you want to do, find out what the rules for that type of competition is and then just go from there. Nothing worse than building a car and then finding that you can't play.

You can also look at doing some "low" level competition where the minimum is required in mods for the car and still have fun, and if the bug bites look at then getting another dedicated car that will make the most of where you are running and what you want to achieve.

For me, I always wanted to go door to door racing, started in a quickish car doing lap dashes, supersprints and hill climbs, bought a sports 1300, got my circuit licence, and promptly wrote the car off at Amaroo in my first ever proper race meeting. A year later playing again in a 180B SSS in 3J Street Sedans at the back of the field, but learnt a lot of race craft, especially when I got in front of someone I wasn't giving that position up. Next step was to a mid field car in what is now prodsports for a couple of years and honed my racing in more traffic and passing and dicing with a lot more cars. Then the step up to a competitive outright car where I would be dicing in the top 5 and got the odd outright placing and taking out the NSW championship many years ago. I couldn't afford to develop the car further and technology moved on so it wasn't as competitive as I would like and I also had to take a near ten year break from serious racing. I was looking at upgrading the car and having it written off forced my hand so I am now building an S14 for prodsports that will be up towards the pointy end. Whilst it will be outgunned by the corvettes and Porsches it will have the consistency to take out a championship.

For the build of the S14, I know what I want to achieve, what rules to build it to and that is having a big effect on how the car is being put together and what I am doing in terms of body preparation, suspension and the mechanicals. If I was building this as an IPRA car rather than a 2b car the build would be completely different as the rules are very different, 2B for a turbo car standard turbos and manifolds, for IPRA, these are allowed to be modified but must run a restrictor, 2B wheels up to 40" in width total for the weight I will run at so looking at 18x9 or 18.9.5", for IPRA maximum of 17x8". 2B hanging panel material is free, IPRA must be standard steel panels, in 2B the windows are free so I have very thin plastic window kit to fit, IPRA must have the standard glass and so it goes.

I also have a near enough to standard 1600 NA6 1989 MX5 that runs around lakeside in the 66-65 second range and if I could turn up to all the MX5 Club track days in a year would take home a trophy most years, for the two or three out of 5 track days I can do I miss out on a trophy by not a lot of points, this is my weekend toy so I don't spend any money on it, it won't be used for any other track work than these club days and I have a ball out there. Lots of cars are quicker than me, but I am also quicker than a lot of cars out there. I use the days as just seat time on a track to try to keep me reasonably sharp behind the wheel so it isn't as big a jump for me when the S14 is ready to go.

So have a look at what level you want to play a, how serious you want to be, how quick you want to go and how much you want or can sacrifice financially to play, and then that should point you to the type of competition and from there how to build the car and the best mods to get the most out of it.

Notice lately that no one else chimes in to give advice on these topics? I don't blame them, I too am sick of Jason's know-it-all rants, we all know that he has a Sc Zed that has sat in a shed for years and has been for sale forever. So much for racing Zeds lol.

Anyway I'm out, the mods seem quite happy to let him use this forum to incessantly push his own agenda and to 'discourage' other points of views, all I'm interested in is fair and frank discussion without the personal rubbish. As I guess are most normal people.

Bye bye Richard. You just cant help yourself in having snide dogs can you..

You got your rear end kicked well and truly over on Performance Forums

You seem to want to try to incite unrest there as you do here.

When it comes to contribution and assistance to others, you are lacking.

Ie you advertise stuff, plenty on here respond, but your grumpy couldnt give a rats manner in assisting anyone shows your true colours.

You harp on about 300kph in your car, and needing only tracks with high speed, and rubbish everything else, and when it comes to it, bingo, a non-event.

I, and others, try to foster people into motorsport, on here, and you, in the majority, respond to my pists in a negative and derogatory way. Great attitude!

So yes, Bye Bye.

You dish it,,,, you get it. Just like on Performance Forums, but here, we are a lot more polite.

How about revealing your lie on PF that I'd tried to fight you Jason? And that the Z club blokes saw it? Underneath the rubbish you are a sad case, karma and all that. This is the sort of personal stuff that I'm sick of, particularly when it degenerates into lies.

So I'll get personal just to show I can. You are a joke with that S30 and the price you are asking for it, someone actually asked me what I thought so I gave them an honest opinion. Which only confirmed what the inquirer thought and he is not the only one. It's a pity that you seem to lack the ability to be a genuine person, after the PF blatant lie I would not trust you an inch so wasting my time like this has it's limitations.

Yep back on topic please. I started this thread to discuss period mods and racing a S30 in period spec. If you want to race something else altogether good for you but please lets leave this thread about period mods and classic racing.

Im not feeling the love..

2 blokes with mountains of zed knowledge, we need both of you here  :(

+1.

On a side note, Jason has been kind enough to answer dozens of my annoying questions. Without many tips from him I would have battled to complete a number of my projects, he even went the extra mile to purchase and post an item from interstate that was pick up only! Richard was also kind enough to help out too with the purchase.

As for race car prices, when you think about the whole package and the years of development to make a car fast within strict class rules it seems good value to me. Surely 12k for a race engine is minimum and then there's the rest of the build. The lap times tell the story, also the man who peddles and that car is fast.

Richard, although it's well out of my knowledge from what I have read you seem to be a wiz with the aero side of things and thinking outside the box. You have also helped me with your knowledge.

With fewer and fewer knowledgeable/experienced zedders out there we need all the guru's we can get!

Perhaps this topic needs to be edited, mods?

You silly silly old man,, you walked up to me, in the carport at Lakeside on Nv 23rd last year, with your old fella fitovers on, a white floppy terry towelling hat, and a pale blue lngsleeve shirt on, you then put up both your fists in a boxing stance. I looked at you, and said Hello Richard.

You put your arms down.

This was in front f ky son, sitting in the Teansit van, and in front of Jon Booker, Brandt King, both members of the Datsun Sports Owners.

Now, how about you just piss off, and leave this thread to those that are knowledgeable in Period Mods and Historic racing, as has been discussed, on topic, by myself and many others.

You got internet belted up ver on Performance Forums, and now you bring your stupidity on here.