Wangan Midnight anime

For those who don't know, Wangan Midnight is a series of manga (Japanese comics) and arcade/PS2 games based on a guy who finds an S30Z on top of a pile at his local scrapyard, and restores it.  He then takes on all manner of cars on the Tokyo bayside highways (known as Wangan - pronounced "wunn-gunn", with the usual Japanese inflection), and has a special interest in defeating the driver of the Blackbird - a modified 964 (I think it's a 964) Gemballa Porsche 911. 

You can read more about it here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangan_Midnight

Anyway, last weekend - after more than a decade of existence as a manga and various video games - it was finally launched as an anime series, by the same studio that did Initial D.

I went searching for any info on which fansubbing group is doing the subbing for the Wangan Midnight anime, and this is what I've come up with so far.

According to the AnimeSuki post quoted here, a group called SD Project have picked it up.  However, I wasn't able to find any actual WM subs by them, or any sort of official news saying they were doing it.  Perhaps in the next day or two, we'll see something from them. 

Further down that thread, there's this one.  it looks like another group/person called One Man Fansub Group ([OMFG] (haha, gotta love that acronym)) have also declared that they'll be doing the series right through to its end.  On top of that, they've already done the first episode - though they admit it was a bit rushed, and that they're quite new to the process.  He mentions that  something must have gone wrong, because their file ended up to be twice the size of the original raw video.

Whatever the case may be, I'm downloading it right now. 

You can grab it here:

http://a.scarywater.net/omfg/

I'd suggest keeping tabs on that page, and if you know how to use RSS (and you bloody should be using it), you can subscribe to that page for up-to-the-minute updates as each subbed episode is made available.

This has been a Public Service Broadcast from Van Heavy Industries.  Donations may be made in the form of stunning young nymphs.

my mate who watches to much anime told me about how i was going to start watching alot of it due to this coming out, but said to give it a couple of days for it to be subtitled by someone so i can actully understand it lol

i'm looking foward to seeing it!

It's only half an hour or so, like most anime episodes.  Like he said, they fucked up somehow, and he expects that they'll have it all sorted out by the second episode.

They're going to release a second version of the first episode that should fix up the size problem, if you'd rather wait.  I couldn't wait  myself, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

if the movie is the one I suspect it will be (has been floating around the net for ages), its not subtitled, which makes some of the movie make absolutely no sense!  Although that trailer looks different to my version, looks like its had the racing scenes all spliced together...  At the end of the version I've got, he's just caning it through the mountains, and it sounds damn good.

Now, onto downloading some anime - episode two is also up in the OMFG link, btw  - in case no-one had noticed, i dunno how long its been there.

Yer noticed episode two of the anime was ready. Your right Ben the live movie I just down loaded is not sub-titled and the last scene is pretty good, he's really caning it through a mountain hwy. Some odd adds in the end also. I've just skipped through it all at this stage. If anybody here can translate that film and write it down I would be glad to add the English subtitles!? Any body get any Japanese speaking friends?

Did you notice after the end that there is a little bit of a clip on the car, with power figures etc?  Speed Shop Shinohara built it, and its got just short of 600hp...

Knew I shouldn't have watched the anime, now I want back in a zed....  but a turboed Alfetta GTV will have to do.

• 1 month later...