Track car project wanted

zzzzed

+1 for putting the build thread up on here.

They're awesome little cars.  I race against one with an FJ20 turbo in it and that gets along very nicely.  I'm with PZG302 on the IP car build, would be a great class to run in.

By IP I guess you mean improved production. (I'm new to racing)

What can you do to your car in this class. Or should I say what can't you do.

Would I have to keep the a12? Last time I built a Datsun 1200 it got way out of hand. I can see the same thin happening with this one. They are do simple to work with.

Yep, Improved Production.  I reckon it's the best amatuer level circuit racing class in Australia.  There's a huge variety of cars that can all be competitive if built well.  You could run any inline 4 nissan/datsun engine but must run an inlet restrictor if you run a turbo.  Lots you can and can't do, takes lots of reading of the rule book but you will have a car you can do heaps of great events with, including a Bathurst meeting every year  :)

If you do build it to IP specs, there's an n/a under 2 litre division that's pretty strong in some states so that might be worth considering.  An Autech SR20 would be a good thing......

If you build an l-series, have a chat to Bluerat on here.  He's got a very quick L20 powered 1600 I was lucky enough to get a drive of early this year.  Brilliant little car  :)

Before you start the build and deciding on the engine to run, if you are going to build to IP rules download this and have a good a read, http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/02_race/d.%203rd%20Category/RA29_Group_3J_2012-3.pdf These are the 3J Improved production rules.

My advice would be to build to under 2 litre specs, preferably using an N/A SR20 (cheap and easy to go fast bits for). The car is nice and light, the power from the SR will be enough to give you a very quick car. The secret to making a bloody quick car will be in the suspension and shell preparation, if done smart this is relatively cheap, though time consuming, perfromance gains.

Brakes will be plenty big enough even with the wheel size limitations for your car, and the yoki control tyres can be gotten 2nd hand fromother competitors pretty easily and cheaply for when you start out.

Hope this helps in the decision making.

Thanx guys. That all helps heaps. I might run the l20 in the hill climbs for for a season and then think about the sr20de after I have spent some time On the suspension and have some track experience

I have a nice o/s piston L20B sitting on my garage floor right now that i'll set aside for you. If you need any 200B parts to back that up let me know as i'll be taking one to scrap very soon, there is another engine and gearbox there too.

Thread stealing sort of, the above motor has gone to Gareth's Brother and mick is taking another running L20B out of parts car 200B. I have another L20B in a 1982 Datsun Bluebird and will sell the whole car with alloys for $150.