The Northeners are coming South, WARNING Will Robinson, WARNIG!

dat2kman

Great weekend and had a ball as usual (we had 3 teams in 15, 16 & 17) so was able to catch up with Jason most of the weekend in between my 'official' duties both for the team and the actual event.

Team 13 finished in 22nd position and Team 14 in 47th.

I took a few photos from the event from various spots around the track and am sorry if I missed your car as I didnt take photos of every car.

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

IMG_5532.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5743.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

Cheers

Sean

I took a few photos from the event from various spots around the track and am sorry if I missed your car as I didnt take photos of every car.

Sorry Peter, was just going through some of the photos and how could I forget about the RX-5

IMG_5602.jpg

Cheers

Sean

Thanks for putting up the photos Sean.hope all the boys had some fun at the awesome PI track. Some of the guys had a few mechanical wows, hopefully they can be repaired quickly . And Jason your car is in good hands at Les and Peters. Cheers.

Thanks for putting up the photos Sean.

No worries at all and there were also a few other Zeds running around from other teams both old and new, again I didnt get all of them but here are a few.... we even had a 370Z in one of our teams.  And the Z from Team 6 (60) broke an engine on the weekend as well.

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

IMG_5794.jpg

Fantastic event, I had a ball (despite electrical issues). Only just got home after a 1200km drive today..

I think I might have to trade the 1600 in on a rotary - the RX5 ran perfectly all weekend, it was the supposedly indestructible L-series cars that had the problems  :-[

My issue with the 1600 turned out to be so simple, but took a day and a half to diagnose. The screws holding the electronic "black box" on the Bluebird electronic distributor had slightly backed out, causing it to (I'm guessing here) either overheat or not be earthed properly. Regardless, a replacement module and tight screws had it running perfectly again, which then caused more problems - since it was misfiring badly in practice, I went up to 10 seconds a lap too fast in the first session after it was back to full power  ::)

Big thanks to the Qld Z Club guys for welcoming me along, to our team manager Rob, to our grid girls / pit lane helpers, and to those who magically appeared from nowhere to help rectify car problems.

Here's a few pics, I didn't get time to take many.

Grid Girls

rx5.jpg

team1.jpg

Some of the lineup  on the starting grid

start.jpg

Very nice zed

zzz.jpg

Both teams lined up, ready to go

linedup.jpg

As mentioned by David, a huge thanks to all those who willingly gave up their time and came along to help, and a special big thanks to Robert Wilson and Michael, without who's help we would have been lost. I had a great time, the car ran better then I could have hoped, but I didn't show it's true potential because I was rather unsettled after a big loose on turn 4 during a practice session. Just starting to settle down during my second session on a dry track when the skies opened up and it remained like that for the rest of the time I was on the track. On the dry track I was able to maintain my nominated lap time of 2 minutes 30 seconds but on the wet track and continues Yellow Flags and Safety Cars, times were impossible.

Would really love to run on the circuit again but without the rain.

Great event, excellent competitors and everyone was so friendly and helpful.

Maybe next year if we are participants we may achieve a placing in the first 25. The most heard announcement was " Could the Driver of car 14B please report to the control tower with his licence and pants down for a good beating    :'("

Cheers Guys, love your track, shame it is not a little further North. Also thanks to Sean for his interest in my sweet old girl.

Kind Regards

Peter

car 13C the ever reliable dark blue 280Z Group Sc Historic car, met it's demise, around 1.30pm mid event, which left Team 13 with just 3 cars and four drivers to soldier on!

on pullingthe rocker cover a very broken valve spring, a dislodged rocker, and a broken lash cap was found.

On the trailer for it.

GGGRRRR

BUT, to the rescue was Pete Mac on here, he got the Datsun Guru of Australia, Les Collins, to prepare his workshop for the dead Zed to arrive that afternoon, and on head removal and teardown, a further four more valve springs were found broken, and four inlet valves had cracks where the head tulips into the stem, along with valve heads of varying margin diameters, and a lot of WTF's going on.

Head off to Woods for machioning, and fitting new valves without cracks,  cam off to Wades for a bit of a kiss and fondle, all new valves, some DECENT valve springs ( enough of the supposed Mackay Qld rubbish), reset the top end, and getting fitted.

All under the very watchfull eye of Les Collins, with Magic Pete weilding the spannaz!

WHY

It is entered at this weekends Winton Festival of Speed full Historic race meeting, featuring the 15 lap Rose City Historic Tourist Trophy race for all Group S cars, at around 2 pm on Sunday, with plenty other races as well.

How did it go at PI? it was not fitted with its usual PI diff ratio, as the emphasis is on the Winton event, it had very tall tyres to compensate, but I managed it into the 2.01's.

in past at historic meets it has done 1.55's at PI

would i do the PI 6 hour again? probably not, as, I get better "value" from doing the very intense full door to door historic circuit race meets at PI.

In 2013, the PI Historic meet has been set for March 7/8/9/10, and just two weeks later, same track, the Nissan Datsun Nationals are on 23/24 March, with some dinky race around an Albert Park Lake in Melbourne in between!

Aiming to be there, IF I CAN !!!

So it looks like my new....ish tyres for the track day are in better condition than expected then.....

Sounds like it was a better weekend than mine by all accounts, i spent the weekend driving around between roma and Surat, includinng waiting 2.5 hrs on monday in the middle of no where for a poor mechanic from St George to drive to where i was stuck so I could use a jack for five minutes to change a wheel  >:( Bloody standard scissor jacks and soft dirt roads.

As for the motor in a certin Group Sc car, well the driver does give it a ppretty hard time..... ;D

But it is a shame it broke, looks like it will be a rocket this weekend at Winton.....

And now i am attempting to hammer at Winton, havent been here since 1982, and i cannot remember which way the corners go, braking WAY to early.

Qualifying this morn, 1 race this arvo, 1 race on Sund morn, and a 15 lapper feature race with over 35 Group S sports cars

Bloody DeTomaso's, damn quick in a straight line!

Qualified 10th, at 1.43, first race went off at Turn 1, bit of rally driving, missed the spinning Panstera, regatherd, in last place, six laps later, finished in 9th, out of 18 cars.

Got into 1.42  ?

Today another 6 lapper, then the big 15 lapper