1971 Datsun 240Z Automatic - $3500 firm

d3c0y

Engine and Interior

This car is 99% complete and was bought to restore but now need the space for another project. It is running an L24 with an E30 high compression head and standard Hitachi twin carbs. Starts and runs but the head gasket is blown, however the car can still drive. The automatic transmission is in excellent condition and shifts smoothly. The car has an A/C unit installed but is missing the condenser. Dash is cracked but still has all the original gauges in it and a heater fascia. Glove box is in good condition and is still the original cardboard item. The car has the original series 1 centre console with hand throttle and choke controls still intact. Original seats have been re-trimmed in velor. Diamond vinyl trim is in excellent condition.

The Body

I have ground back the bad areas of the body to reveal the major rust and generally this car is very good.

It needs the following rust repair panels:

• driver's side door skin
  • beaver panel
  • LHS dog leg
  • LHS guard bottom

The rest is just normal rust patching. The other thing to note is the right hand side wheel arches are rough and this car is a prime candidate for the installation of Z-G style fender flares. The right rear quarter has been dented and pushed in a bit, but cutting the arch to suit the flare will remove a lot of the damage.

The back of the roof, hatch hinge area and spare tyre well have no signs of rust. From what I have inspected the chassis rails look to have no rust in them.

Check out the 37 images detailing the rust in the slide show below.

Call 0410 117 169 for any questions or to arrange an inspection.

_MG_1837.jpg

_MG_1835.jpg

_MG_1833.jpg

_MG_1831.jpg

_MG_1827.jpg

_MG_1825.jpg

_MG_1823.jpg

_MG_1822.jpg

_MG_1817.jpg

_MG_1816.jpg

_MG_1815.jpg

_MG_1814.jpg

_MG_1813.jpg

_MG_1812.jpg

_MG_1811.jpg

_MG_1810.jpg

_MG_1809.jpg

_MG_1807.jpg

_MG_1805.jpg

_MG_1804.jpg

_MG_1803.jpg

_MG_1801.jpg

_MG_1800.jpg

_MG_1799.jpg

_MG_1798.jpg

_MG_1797.jpg

_MG_1796.jpg

_MG_1795.jpg

_MG_1794.jpg

_MG_1793.jpg

_MG_1792.jpg

_MG_1791.jpg

_MG_1790.jpg

_MG_1789.jpg

_MG_1788.jpg

_MG_1787.jpg

_MG_1786.jpg

Jake, there's a lot of work to be done, can see why a lot of people get these cars with good intentions and leave them in the Garage. And over the next 6 months you walk out to the garage, go over the zed a thousand times , yer a bit here a bit there, a few sleepless nights. And then reality sets in, time money and more time. Would make a good project though. I wonder if Lurch could give it a photo quote to give us an idea on the body work to be done. After that should be smooth sailing .

Jake, there's a lot of work to be done, can see why a lot of people get these cars with good intentions and leave them in the Garage. And over the next 6 months you walk out to the garage, go over the zed a thousand times , yer a bit here a bit there, a few sleepless nights. And then reality sets in, time money and more time. Would make a good project though. I wonder if Lurch could give it a photo quote to give us an idea on the body work to be done. After that should be smooth sailing .

I've already got a nice shiney silver 240Z in the garage next to it and i have to move house in 4 months. This was never the car the big motor was going in.

I find this funny. So many people come on this forum posting how they want a 240Z two seater to restore, put one up for sale and no interest.  ::)

I find this funny. So many people come on this forum posting how they want a 240Z two seater to restore, put one up for sale and no interest.  ::)

Give it some time mate. If this was for sale when I bought mine, I would already have given you the full $3500 and it'd be on a truck to Adelaide.

Fact I'd swap mine for this, but who'd be stupid enough to do that? hahaha.

Can imagine my sale ad now:

Item: Lifesize realistic 240z spaghetti strainer

Price: $3500. Will look great in the kitchen. Perfect for outdoor dinner entertainment! Doubles as an excellent garden sculpture.

shame its automatic, otherwise i'd be all over it for 3.5k.. its close aswell. I'm flying down to sydney next weekend to pick up a 240. out of interest 1-10 how hard would it be to do a manual conversion with a complete 280zx to parts off?

The ," I want a two seater" brigade, want a near perfect rust free totally restored concouse condition perfect car, but only want to pay $2500 for it

Most of us realise what $$ are involved, and we price pretty well accordingly.

If, say, this was a 5 speed, in same condition, what would be an asking price?

I'd say add another 1.5 k.

Not at all hard to do a conversion, it's the body that will be a labour of love.

The ," I want a two seater" brigade, want a near perfect rust free totally restored concouse condition perfect car, but only want to pay $2500 for it

Yep, just as bad as i want to win the lotto, nothing like dreaming eh?

out of interest 1-10 how hard would it be to do a manual conversion with a complete 280zx to parts off?

I converted my parents 260Z when I was a dumb 16 year old kid. So if you've got some mouse, you'll be fine.

But you'll need S30 components, not S130.

• Administrators

So you did buy it @Vramjee91?

See didn't take long to get snapped up after all ;).

Honestly the auto is not the concern, that's easy enough. It's the body work that will need work, but at least you can see most of the problems here. Not hidden under paint ;).

Would love to see this car go back to Lime Green :P

Maybe you should give it more than 2 days.

It was for sale on ebay for about 4 weeks before i put it on here so yeah it didnt sell that quick.

I like the lime green too, seems to be the opposite of what Vivek is thinking though lol.

It was for sale on ebay for about 4 weeks before i put it on here so yeah it didnt sell that quick.

I like the lime green too, seems to be the opposite of what Vivek is thinking though lol.

Looks like it still currently is

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/71-Datsun-240z-great-restorer-all-rust-exposed-/190673688082?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2c65099612

The funny thing is it isn't even common, how many Zs do you actually see in the flesh running flares and big Wats?

And to actually be a Wangan midnight replica, it needs to be a triple Solex turbo L28, Kameari front spoiler, fender mirrors, colour coded flares.

All those mods were common Japanese racecar / tough street racer mods back in the day too. Bit different to a fluro orange supra with stickers?

Good to see this 12/71 complaince Auto Zed is still in one piece and finding a new home. From memory the floor pan was in excellent condition with the rails almost perfect. I really rate the drive train too, with that auto working so well it is a rocket on the highway for an auto zed in standard high compression trim. All I can say is if the repairs do get done the new owner will be smiling when he points and shoots on the highway even as a standard build it will suprise, what a bargain. :) :)

cheers

Steve