DreamZproject's 260z ever ongoing project

Good to hear you will stick out the project, especially since you have already spent some money with it getting it blasted and what not.

Whats the story with that bus in primer? did you buy it as a parts car, or were you going to build up that one instead because of the work needed on the 2 seater?

Rudolf.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought it from the guy who moved my car to the blasters. He needed the space badly, so I jumped on it.

i was nearly peeing myself when he told me he had a 2 seater! I was pretty disappointed when it wasn't,

but bought it never the less.

If i was half intelligent I'd be using the near perfect 2+2, but what can i do!

• 3 months later...

So some progress has been made on Robbie's 260!

Saturday (10/5) I gave him a hand in making a start on the rust repairs on his shell.

Robbie has bought new floors, sills, doglegs & hatch slam panel so I set him to work in unpicking what remained of the hatch slam panel.

It's was made harder by the fact that someone had previously attempted to (badly) repair it. So we chopped it all out & started again.

Robbie has more photos, so I'll let him continue the story...

post-89-144023750493_thumb.jpg

As the good man says, Yesterday I bravely soldiered on with the knowledge and guidance of said "good man", and boy did I learn a bit! All of the things were extremely logical,

but would have taken me months and months of work by myself to learn the same things as I did in one day. The most beneficial points were how and when to use the various

tools that I have, and should have, at my disposal. Just tonight I ran out and grabbed another hundred odd dollars worth of tools that my dad very kindly sponsored me for! (his

logic being that he'll use them a lot more than me in his own work). Two tools I am yet to grab are the spot welder drill bit, and a carbide burr. Both somewhat difficult to find, and

the Burr I found in Bunnings was 70 over dollars!!! I'll check out total tools this week.

I think that we may have, combined, covered roughly 5% of the work yesterday, so I really only have 38 solid days work left! :/

Here comes the rust!

20140510_111546_zps1d78d40a.jpg

20140510_111554_zps6471b8dd.jpg

20140510_111605_zpse4c2bdae.jpg

20140510_161905_zps7b82b4b2.jpg

20140510_161931_zps341af24a.jpg

20140510_161920_zpsbbd40467.jpg

• Administrators

Good work Lachlan as Peter said. I'm happy to be mentored when you're in Sydney :).

@DreamZProject - when you find that spot welder drill bit and those other tools bits, let me know where you got them? I need to get some of that stuff. Also with the rear hatch slam panel do you just undo the spot welds and then pull it off or is there another way to remove it?

Hi Gav,

spot weld bits can be found on eBay. The cobalt steel ones are pretty good. Carbide burrs can be found at hardware stores, and are expensive for good quality.  These are two things that are worth getting good quality, as continually sharpening drill bits gets tiresome. Good quality carbide burrs will last a long time too.

Cheers

@ Gav; yes, unless your panel has been hacked together like mine was there should be roughly 20 spot welds (Some are very hard to see) and I think that there are 2 little bits welded at each corner towards the back of the car. Fairly simple to remove if there aren't pre-existing repairs.

• Administrators

Sounds good mate, I am thinking of making this panel in my Tafe class, so I am hoping to remove it in 1 go and use it as a template. We shall see what happens in reality though. I'm curious to see how bad things are under that slam panel in mine.

This sounds a bit odd, but you could buy a rare spares one and if you really want to replicate that panel specifically you could copy a less chewed up version (there will be bending unless you are SUPER careful...)

I just bought a set of 3 carbide burrs here for $48 posted. Sure there's cheaper/better around, but this seems about spot on for what I need.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171325075268

and here is the spot welder drill bit I got (8mm). Seems quite reasonable @ $10 posted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-8x80mm-HSS-Cobalt-HSCo-Spot-Weld-Welder-Cutter-Drill-Bit-Free-Postage-/351068851370?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bd558caa&_uhb=1

Rust? What rust?

20140517_151031_zps596ea04d.jpg

20140517_151049_zpsa90c3b4d.jpg

20140517_151040_zps59687141.jpg

20140517_151115_zps1f08818f.jpg

I did the left hand side completely unassisted. It's not perfect, but pretty damn close i think. There were some areas where I felt like I was constantly chasing blow-through, so I'm assuming I didn't cut back hard enough and was welding into some very thin rusted out panel. Just took more time.

What do you think guys?

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, just realised I didn't chuck up last weekends work.

20140523_170840_zps302e35df.jpg

This one looks much better in real life. I guess I could still grind it back a bot more too...

20140524_103144_zps9b52e9eb.jpg

Who's been walking on my sheet metal!?

20140524_113718_zpse800276d.jpg

Hey! Look what else I found!!! :/

20140523_164219_zps80c8e98d.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how many peoples cars were worse than this? Would my car happen to be in the top 10% of rusted areas?

• Administrators

Plastic print that instead of metal ;).

As to how rusty your car is? Well.. I suspect many Zeds are like that, it's just the owners haven't stripped them all the way down to find out. These cars rust from the inside out, which is why I might be unpicking my roof just to see if there is anything that needs to be taken care of.. but I'll be asking the experts about that when the time comes.

Hmm plastic printing. ..

Yeah it just peeves me that someone spent all their time covering up all the rust holes with fiberglass instead of spending a bit longer doing it properly. Now I have to inspect every bloody nook and cranny that isn't just metal.