Sign in to follow this  
zzzzed

R31 vs 280zx rear brake calipers

Good work lads! Wish they taught me this at school ;)

How about Front brakes? Who's using the standard 240/260 brakes, how are they, and who has upgraded to different ones??

As someone who has never driven a zed, but is building one from scratch as we speak, id love to know...

Lars

Hey Lars...front brakes are ok for road driving. If you are going on the track though, you need vented and perhaps larger brakes. I have Porsche GT3 brakes on my car, and lordy it stops.

Jamo

Good work lads! Wish they taught me this at school ;)

How about Front brakes? Who's using the standard 240/260 brakes, how are they, and who has upgraded to different ones??

As someone who has never driven a zed, but is building one from scratch as we speak, id love to know...

Lars

Search is your friend.

Its been done many times.  ;)

(Surely you know who this dude is?  ???)

post-396-144023669466_thumb.jpg

You're right, as soon as i posted it i found the sticky on the hilux/s13 conversion...  All good.

Is that Lars the drummer?? :)

MaygZ...in case you still can't conceptualise it, think of it this way....

Imagine you had a pad that covered the entire area of the brake rotor (like aircraft brakes do), but was still only applied to the rotor with the equivalent force of a single piston...the force applied to the pad over this large area would be very low, and hence the brake would not provide any greater braking force than a conventional pad. But, the pad wear would be extremely low due to the low application force per unit area. Now, imagine you placed an array of pistons all the way around the rotor, so a great deal more clamping force was applied to the pad...this would result in a much increased braking force, and of course increased wear...you can see that the coefficient of friction does not change, but the clamping force does, and hence the brake capacity goes up.

Aircraft brakes are configured this way...they have an annular array of pistons around the brake rotors, and run a series of linings and rotors (like a multilplate clutch), and this is how they get such high braking efforts without over-heating...by effectively reducing the power density of the system.

Jamo

Search is your friend.

Its been done many times.  ;)

(Surely you know who this dude is?  ???)

Lol

I think we have scared off MaygZ...

Sorry guys, I've been away.

Thank you for all the answers to my question.  It all makes sense to me now.  So after the big 6 pot calipers, it's bigger disc time  ::)

This explains why the 11" discs on my old 800kg Alfa pulled it up like a dream - in fact too well at Calder when the discs stoped but the drive shafts kept turning (in-board discs attached to gearbox and drive shaft ran out to the wheels)

thanks again guys