New Dreamer from melbourne

Hey guys! My name is Robbie (from melbourne) and after a few months mulling over the idea i have finally decided that a Z has to be my dream car! I have just recently turned 21 and finished uni, so as you may guess my funds are somewhat limited, but i feel so passionately about the S30 chassis and look that im going to do my research from now so when the funds come in i can slowly build my dream car!

My goal would be to build this car over the course of roughly 5-10 years and come out the other side with something that looks like a classic old Z but handles and has the accents of a modern sports car.

Idealy i'd like to start with a rolling 260z 2 door chassis that has most of the important interior and exterior acessories (such as lights, dash etc.), and as little rust damage as possible. In the long run i would like something like a rb26dett to be the powerplant, but wouldnt mind the original L if that worked out to be too expensive. I would strongly focus on the cars ability to handle as i hate cars that are just all tourque and no ability (pun intended). This would mean all new rubbers, sways, tensioners, shockies, power steering(?), fat tyres ETC. How i would decribe the Z i want is; mainly stock exterior, with JDM acessories (bonnet mirrors, airdam, watanabe's etc.) but feels like a modern day sports car.

Most of this work i am capiable of doing myself, and what i dont know i am willing to learn because i cant stand it when money is just recklessly dropped on a car, so i beleive a budget of around $40k shouldn't be too rediculous (please inform me on the reality of this!).

So if you ever see a fairly good condition 2 seater S30 chassis, thats pretty basic and cheap, I'd love to hear about it!

-Robbie

Welcome! 40k will get you very far. I started with a 25k budget but theres more and more i wanna do, im sure eventually 40k will be spent on it. The cheapest way to get what you want is to buy someone elses complete or near complete project. But you need the cash up front. Doing it yourself costs more, but you can get started now with less cash up front.

Good ideas Robbie...reasonably realistic expectations. As the lads say, it is cheaper to buy something that someone has already done if it's been done well. But those cars are rare, and often not for sale, or if they are, only for money that may be beyond your reach at the moment. If you're keen to do it yourself and start with a rough but complete car, then allow a good 2,000hours over those 5-10 years to do the work, and you'll be about right. Of course if you want to repower with an RB, re-plate every part, replace every rubber, seal and bush, then allow a fair few bucks as well. Happy to step you through my car when the time is right to show you what's involved.

Cheers

Jamo

• Administrators

Robbie - 40K is a lot of money, but it's amazing how quickly it can dry up when doing an Engine swap, new paint, suspension, brakes, bushes, seats, wheels, rubbers, gearbox, diff, cv conversion, fuel pumps, surge tank, fuel rail, fuel regulator, single turbo conversion, turbo, exhaust manifold, exhaust system, wideband sensor + gauge, all other aftermarket gauges a turbo engine needs etc... It all quickly adds up.

I'm sure others who have done the swap can probably tell you easier than I, but maybe 40K won't get you where you want to be with it? They often say pick a number and double it *yikes!* Of course it depends on power goals and how much you can do yourself but buying the right tools itself can be expensive etc..

I would actually suggest retraining the L-series if you can, since the S30 is relatively light, even with 250HP in a car like this it's damn fast! Also your goals may change over 5-10 years. I know mine have, I used to want an L28 turbo, but now I'm much more focused on making it handle nicely, stop properly and look good. Going fast is fun, but I have another car for that (RX-7) the old L-series is an absolute pleasure to work on and very little goes wrong with it. So they are incredibly reliable, in fact the only problem I've ever had with the Z in the last (nearly 10 years) is a faulty distributor electronic module.

Other than that, an S30 has never left me stranded at the side of the road. That old L-series can take a serious beating...trust me hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW thanks a lot for the response guys, i logged on today and realised that im not being notified of these new posts... ill have to get on to that.

AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300684363612?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This is now mine!

Seeing as though it already has a 280zx motor in it, I'm sure it will be absolutely fine!

I really wasn't intending on buying one for the next few years, but i logged on to ebay today and spotted this little gem, and bought it within the hour!

For 4k (plus freight from QLD to VIC) i have a car with a near perfect paint job (probably will respray, but the foundation is all there), a working 280ZX motor with 60,000k's on the clock, a 280z engine (i thought they were not brought out over here?), and a whole bunch of parts, possibly enough to get the car going!

This is quite literally one of the top 3 days of my life!

What do you all think?

I'm in the Alphington, Heidelberg, Ivanhoe, Bellfeild area (if that means anything to you).

I'd really like to check out one of these cars working one day.

I really do think it was a decent bargain!

Do you think its a good idea to whack the power steering that came with it on? Personaly i like

power steering, but if there is a particular reason why i shouldn't, I'm open to suggestion.

Ahh yeah not too far from me. I reside in the taylors lakes area. If you need any help with the spanners or want to check out my project let me know, i've had a few so know my Z's pretty well nowadays. Good to see some younger blokes getting into Z's. I'm 24 myself so sounds like we have abit in common. And if I were you i'd use the powersteering..if not i'll buy it off you! ;D

Looks good, hopefully the issue with the clear coat isn't too bad. Did you fly up to see the car or buy it sight unseen?

In regards to the powersteering, I find that once the front end bushings are changed and shocks/springs are in good condition, the steering isn't very hard at all. And as the speed increases, the steering becomes even lighter so I guess the answer is to just drive faster  :P

• Administrators

RE: Power steering - you should only fit this if you're a girly man and don't want massive biceps :). Honestly I don't see the big deal with power steering in a Z. It's never bothered me and it's only a bit harder parking but if you're a manly man this is no issue.

Its actually your tricep and forearms doing the work but whatever. For somebody like myself who does alot of city parking, stop start traffic, where people are inpatient and your holding up 10 cars to parrallel park and having to shuffle 4 cars in and out of my home garage..i'm sure those times i'd be pleased to have powersteering..and with 9.5's up front would certainly be appreciated, but each to their own I guess. Imo its just one of those life pleasures, if you can have it and can afford it and make life easier then why not?

There's electric power steering units on yahoo Japan, doudous has one on that hako he just imported. Another thing  is keeping the stock or stock diameter steering wheel. I used an aftermarket wheel for a while but parking was a nightmare so I bought a compe wheel.

Haha, you guys are going to laugh at this... I saw the car online for the first time yesterday. 1 hour later i bought it :D.

Supposedly the guy had someone coming to look at it within the hour, and i know that's a common line to use, but

when a car is this price... i tend to believe it...

Im not sure if i want to give the car a proper respray anyway... I am quite particular about car colour, but at the same

time, I'm still not sure what colour i would like... :P

Yeah, i think i will attach the power steering unit. I think it would make it just that much more enjoyable to drive.

I was of course taking the piss.

haha yeah I know ;)

Haha, you guys are going to laugh at this... I saw the car online for the first time yesterday. 1 hour later i bought it :D.

Supposedly the guy had someone coming to look at it within the hour, and i know that's a common line to use, but

when a car is this price... i tend to believe it...

Im not sure if i want to give the car a proper respray anyway... I am quite particular about car colour, but at the same

time, I'm still not sure what colour i would like... :P

Yeah, i think i will attach the power steering unit. I think it would make it just that much more enjoyable to drive.

I bought mine site unseen aswell..you can't muck around when it comes to cheap Z's they sell like hot cakes

Hey, can i get your opinions guys?

With the 280zx engine, should i be going with the FI or twin carbs?

I know that the FI will be the most economical, but i also know that if i want extra power from it i have to spend a lot of money to get it chipped.

If I were going to do that, id probably consider putting it on E85, but once again, its very expensive. The other consideration is that having a

carby will make the car sound better, but is it significant enough to warrant it as a reason?

Thanks guys!

With the 280zx engine, should i be going with the FI or twin carbs?

The other consideration is that having a carby will make the car sound better, but is it significant enough to warrant it as a reason?

Thats pretty much why I took the EFI off mine and have triple carbs  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

WOOHOOOOO got my sexy looking Z!

unsurprisingly, the paintjob on the body looks pretty shiverty, so i will have to go for a total respray on it (im

going to go with a classic metalic dary grey, any exact suggestions for code of paint?).

BUT!

surprisingly, almost all the parts needed to get a running roadworthy car seem to be there!

This includes a complete brand new set of door and window rubbers that cost $700, 4 alloy rims with tyres

that appear to be roadworthy, 1 (reportedly) working 280zx engine in the car, 1 spare 280z engine and nearly

everything else!

Im pretty psyched about it, so ill get some pictures up within the next couple of days!