Sign in to follow this  
dat2kman

March 9 to 11 2012 Phillip Island Classics. hUGE historic event

A great day on Sunday

Huge prang in the Group SC race on Sunday (right in front of the NDSOC display)  with a Corvette spinning on the sweeper taking out half a dozen cars, Jason ended up facing the wrong way and looked to have avoided much of the carnage, a 911 rolled several times (end over end at one point) and was totally destroyed- driver was very lucky to avoid serious injury.

Al.

Yes, in car vid, Corvette had been dropping oil from turn 4 Taylor in 77got ke into 4 and i sat on back of the freight train, over Lukey, Corvette dropping oil, Taylor ran wide, i tried up inside, then stuck behind, into 12 ,Corvette dumps oil out exhaust onto his tyres, gets loose, slides, Taylor brakes, Vette spins, tags Porker, flips it up, i'm sideways on oil, looking at Vette sideways, and back off onto grass on outfield, Vette gone infield, i restart engine, chuck a U'ey, rejoin, see Porker, on side, expletive deleted, engine/transaxle is ripped out, continue around, but race red flagged.

Damage to Z was front right corner, headlight bucket, guard plastic lens, video is on SD card, will try and post when back home!

Also have incar of race 1 on Sat, white Porker tags yellow DeTomaso Pantera on start line!

Jason, I have a useable rh guard from the green car and a spare 260 guard, can't remember if left or right, if you need them.

I was there on the Sunday and saw the big roll over, he was a very lucky man. Well done to all the zed guys racing. Good to catch up with the NDSOC at turn 12 the best spot in the Shannon's walk. I was there for 4 hours, there where so many cars to look at I didn't even get time to go in the pits, this is a fantastic event, i will  be going next year, Cheers Gordon.

How's the marshall waving the green flag furiously after the crash, then swaps to the red once he realises what he's doing.  ;D

How's the marshall waving the green flag furiously after the crash, then swaps to the red once he realises what he's doing.  ;D

Yes, funny about that, i rejioned at rear of field, got pass the incident, and proceeded to pass the car in front, at start line was yellow flag waving, so no passing from then on, all remaining did full lap slow under yellow, regrouped in single file from start of turn 12 back, in case???, event was restarted, after a while, instruction came, event declared a Non event, return to pits via turn 4. Usual procedure.

We all got a good look at the remains, anyone see how far the engine/transaxle from the Porsche, was flung?

The rollover happen right in front of us- the transaxle stayed attached, the porker lost its screen, bumbers and various bits of metal in the cartwheel and sounded like a biscuit tin full of  bolts when then rolled it back onto its wheels and dragged onto the flat bed. The roll cage certainly did its job as you could clearly see the impressions in the roof.

Here is a pic I took when you wre leaving the scene

Al.

post-301-144023668587_thumb.jpg

Flaggie waving green is standard procedure as he was the first flag point past the incident and signifying that the track is again clear for racing.

Red flag is waved only under instruction from race control. No flag marshal can make the decision to wave a red flag no matter how bad the incident. The decision to go to a red flag is made by the clerk of course under advise from senior sector marshalls.

The flaggie prior would be able to only wave double fellows if deemed necessary if cars were blocking the track, or people were on the track or in a dangerous position.

Yep, as a flag marshall you are signalling to the driver what the situation is from your flag position onwards, not what has happened prior to the driver arriving at your spot.

Looks like the Porkers will try anything to pass a Zed.  ;)

Seriously tho'; glad no-one was hurt.

Ooohhhh,

That was close, as i was going off the track backwards onto the grass, all i was hearing was rolling bashing destruction of the Porsche, i couldnt see anything for the dust, and the fact that i was facing away.

Someone embed the pics!

I saw a pic on a site called ausmotion,, i think thayre the same.

I have gone over something on the grass in front of me, the bits of car up in the air is amazing.

One thing, i didnt get onto the gravel/kitty litter, but my right hand rear quarter panel is fully peppered with stone chips, the paint has been ripped off, i cant work out from what, it happened in the incident.

Old dirt driver from way back Richo!

Hey, anyone know PI enough to work out if that pic is from exit of turn 4 ( Honda), or midway through the right hander between Siberia and the bit going up to Lukey heights, Hayshed?, i think.

I cant work out the background, if its Hayshed, thats a quicker corner exit than Honda.

You Victorians should be able to work it out?

It's Honda mate - you can see the old track in the backround.

If that was through Hayshed, you'd be sliding at 140kph+...

It's Honda mate - you can see the old track in the backround.

If that was through Hayshed, you'd be sliding at 140kph+...

Ok,

Nah, i am well past sliding at 140plus, these days!

Just couldnt work out background.