Which shocks fit?

wildy55

Okay, new shock time.

So, are the shocks on my 240z (72) the same front and rear in physical dimensions and damping rate?

I've read that 300zx shocks fit. Do they need a spacer or are they the same body length (I actually want them 10-20mm shorter). Which year 300zx fit and are these the front or rears?

What about MR2/Celica shocks.

Or what else fits?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

Ive got a '72 240z and have been doing a bit of research into Konis lately and have found that some people here use the 8641-1060 Sport both front and rear, both needing spacers. And some use the 8641-1146 Sport for the front which also need spacers. Both of these shocks are the Koni Yellows/Sport that are externally adjustable

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,8653.msg82363.html#msg82363

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,3948.msg35821.html#msg35821

The 8641-1060 is from the 84-89 300zx and the 8641-1146 is from various Toyotas. Check out http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=254 and put the part number into the article number box on the right hand side

Koni also offer the Red/Classic for the 240z being the 86-1811 and 86-1812 front and rear respectively. I believe these do NOT need spacers, but would like someone who has installed them to confirm this.

Also, I spoke with Barry from Top Performance yesterday who suggested to use the 8641-1060 which are a much harder shock than the 86-1811 and 86-1812's. If you are running stiff springs (250lb +) he suggests the 8641-1060 are the way to go.

I have been searching for Koni specs online but can't find anything. I really would like to see dimensions and damping rates so I know what I'm buying. After all they are not cheap, and I want to be able to make an informed decision before I buy.

In terms of other brands, I'm pretty sure you can get KYB gas and also Monroes locally but I have not done any research into these.

Also Tokicos from the U.S. seem like a reasonable price but they always want your left nut for shipping.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search, let us know what you end up going with.

Cheers

Mick

The Toyota MR2 rear shocks are perfect for 1" sectioned front struts on the 240Z / early 260Z. The front 240Z struts can then be used on the rear if sectioned.

If your struts are not sectioned, why not just go with 240Z inserts?

• 2 years later...