Sign in to follow this  
chartoo

250z tail light idea- photoshop

Granted, but I think they have some merit compared to other circular lamp set ups Ive seen, well done.

Gave it a go as well... Pretty dodgy job.

I've tried to scale them relative to the size of the s30, but since the corvette is probably a bigger car they may actually be substantially larger in real life? 

post-1326-144023659638_thumb.jpg

That looks pretty good, but perhaps a bit too modern given the shape of the circular lights?

I still think the 240K lights are 1 of the best alternatives to stock.

normal_SNC00109.jpg

normal_SNC00114.jpg

Versus

normal_Photo159.jpg

normal_Photo099a.JPG

Looking at the stock rear lights I think it's the amount of fussiness to the style of the rear tail light garnish.

The reverse light and the ridges around it in my opinion don't flow so well. I still also don't like the amount of chrome around them also. However I think your original concept is a huge improvement.

in I think this is the best example of it. So good I actually paid far too much money for a set of these to put on my white bus before I sold it. I might still put it on my project car at home but I do have a brand new set of 260z tail lights that I might use as well... decisions decisions

post-174-144023659653_thumb.jpg

Perhaps Corvette Stingray rear lights would work better with the period of the car. I've always liked early Corvette's (not a huge fan of anything after the late 1970's)

Close-up

vemp_0705_09z+1969_l71_corvette_roadster+tail_lights.jpg

Colour coded rear

0311vet_02z%2B1969_Chevrolet_Corvette_Stingray%2BMaroon_Rear_View.jpg

Modified to have 6 rear lights (reverse?) - just an idea but looks a bit odd. Probably wouldn't work on a 260z (not enough room)

4559184640_0a7662f0fc.jpg

Blacked Out Rear Against the Tail Lamps

ccrp_0805_10_z_25252B1963_chevrolet_corvette_stingray_1973_chevrolet_corvette_25252B73_corvette_rear_view.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have photoshop but I think it would work well on the Z.

in I think this is the best example of it. So good I actually paid far too much money for a set of these to put on my white bus before I sold it. I might still put it on my project car at home but I do have a brand new set of 260z tail lights that I might use as well... decisions decisions

Just made sure it's reversible :) Best of both worlds that way.

Nice work Lukas ! think yours look pretty good, I tried to do a hack job and think I preportioned them pretty right and used a rear on pic I swiped off the net, dosnt work without the rear bar though, needs it to reduce the barge arse look.

And I like the examples of the earlier vette lamps too, much more retro and probably in line with what gav was reffering to

post-1356-144023659659_thumb.jpg

I always thought about doing a r34 tail light conversion but i think they are a tad too big.

The old skyline lights can look good

Round tail lights can look good also. Check out z force productions. they make a corvette style fiberglass inlay for the zeds

http://www.zforceproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=84

post-515-144023659676_thumb.jpg

post-515-144023659681_thumb.jpg

post-515-144023659684_thumb.jpg

An Opel GT is another period car that reminds me of a cross between a Corvette and a S30 Z :).

opel-gt1.jpg

redgil8.jpg

1972-Opel-1900-1.9L-GT-Rear.jpg

I only ever saw 1 of these once I got to Europe. A really nice looking little car.

I think the problem with all those Z's above ^^ (exception the 240k lights ;0) with the tail light conversions is that they look a bit bland. Smoothing off the rear too much doesn't work you need some curves ;). Also the bumper helps as Sirpent already mentioned it breaks it up a bit.

I looked into this a long while ago for my car. I was going to get the Corevette rear lights only not the round or ovel ones, I was going to get the squarer looking ones. Maybe 84 model? I think they look much better than the round ones because the Zed's rear shape is actually almost square on each side not round. Would look much better. Maybe someone can find a pcture to show what I mean?

http://www.zip-corvette.com/GroupDetails/GroupLanding2.aspx?gid={7ab20341-7cb0-4178-920d-dc2eb5d34d73}&SearchType=_GROUP_SEARCH&GroupName=Exterior+Accessories&

Cheers

Craig...every Zed has it's unique flavor so it's what you think that counts! what I think doesn't (though i should put the disclaimer up front) every tail light conversion that I hace seen has looked just like that...a conversion, to me somehow it tends to become the focus rather then an addendum.

But like I said it's what you like that really matters.  Hope you had a great new year.

Rev.

Got to agree with Rev.

most conversions I've seen not a big fan off.

But....... the pic that Chartoo attached with multiple rear end pics the red one on the left looks reasonably well executed almost made me look in detail to make sure its a z not a vette.  The lights seem lot larger than other pics and it does look good.

trying to find a better pic of that red one and stumbled across this.

sometimes Z features end up on vette's  :P

syo.jpg

Also one of the nicest ferraries the F40 (damn lotto numbers don't want me  >:() has similar "squared" bum and has round lights.

John up for the conversion? keep it euro style you got going on!  ;D

Ferrari-F40.jpg

Yes true Rev. That is probably why I stuck with the original rear lights on my car although I did make some slight mods so cleaning wasn't such an issue. I got rid of the silver by smoothing over the rear light surrounds. But changing the rear lights does change the character of the car.

post-260-144023659687_thumb.jpg

See if you can see the tail lights on my Vette as they go round!

Rev.

Rev you hoon  :P

nice vette. bringing it over?

Yes true Rev. That is probably why I stuck with the original rear lights on my car although I did make some slight mods so cleaning wasn't such an issue. I got rid of the silver by smoothing over the rear light surrounds. But changing the rear lights does change the character of the car.

Got a close up of these taillights?

Those are the earlier Corvette C4 lamps previously mentioned and do work really well, they are also available with the amber combination lenses and reverse lamps.

post-1356-14402365973_thumb.jpg

Also one of the nicest ferraries the F40 (damn lotto numbers don't want me  >:() has similar "squared" bum and has round lights.

John up for the conversion? keep it euro style you got going on!  ;D

Ferrari-F40.jpg

It's great to see you back on the forum Johnny, yeah lotto numbers, damn it !

I think the trick here is that any lamp combo can work, however the trick is what the "Z" designers originally came up with even with the lamps they used on the 240's and 260's, you just cant flat panel the back and bolt on lamps, it needs to be broken up with a certian degree of busy shapes, and garnished so as the panel has depth of field to the observer otherwise it's boring.

Am I up for a conversion ? not sure, I would like to do something different but not at the cost of "Change for change sake" it would have to do 3 things , be functional, look like a modern interpritation of what the manufacturer would have worked up to if the car had continued to develop alonfg the same lines as the steady progress you see on a 911 for instance, and recieve majority support as an enhancement rather than just an alternative.

Will see I guess.

Yeah i def agree its got to keep the orginal lines and characteristics of the car ie not just a flat panel. These ones look quiet good for a round conversion

post-515-144023659732_thumb.jpg