74 260z "BUS" build - RB25det

EMPRACING

Ok the parts have started to arrive and theres a touch more room in the shed from selling stuff so it begins!!!

The cooler stuff wont come in from the states till the new year but theres a lot to do so i got a proper start on it today.....

First a quick reminder of what she was aaaaawwww

Then whats this box? 20 x trouble!!!!! haha

Ps sorry about the size of the wire box pics i forgot to resize those and cant seem to change them just now.

post-3638-144023657289_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657296_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657302_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657326_thumb.jpg

Yes that's a 20 circuit ez wire harness that's going to keep me awake many a night.

It wont get started till i find what i need from the Half cut when it arrives i also want to refit ac to this bus!

So next i thort ide make a start on removing the parts that wont be used for the new engine.

The last lines and wires of the zx"ish" motor are disconnected.

Radiator and fan gone.

Lucky some punk kid went crazy with the spray can in here theres little to no rust that wassent already there all those years ago so far.

post-3638-144023657357_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657399_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657412_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657418_thumb.jpg

The CRS engine mounts are sitting at TNT to get tomorrow and i may be picking up the new wheels for the car if i can ill keep that a secret for now

but just to reassure lurch there will be NO flares at this stage  ;) hmmm wangan mightnight bus?

And for a closing first day some gratuitous eoi pics of stuff i will be getting rid of

post-3638-144023657446_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657454_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657477_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657483_thumb.jpg

Shiver just got real!!

more stuff today b4 the hols hit and theres no more delivery's to deal with (TNT long story!!!)

so yeah the new CRS mounts came looks good so far

theres a bit where they missed with the paint can on the trans mount but they did a great job to get them here quick.

To bad i don't have the engine sump to try anything hell the l28s still in there anyway  :P

And just to be bad i got me some rims not sure i did the right thing yet but they will do for now.

16x8 +0s all round probably could have gone the 16x7+4 on the front there pretty out there.

Seem fine on the back.

And while i was under there i found some stuff i did years ago ahhhh i remember that hylux well..... ::)

post-3638-144023657869_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657898_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657906_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657911_thumb.jpg

Hi, good to see another bus coming together. God there is some serious wiring under the bonnet. Reminds me of a girl I knew once. LOL. Check your strut clearence at the front with those wheels as I couldn't fit my 15x8's at the front without going to coil overs. Where are you in Brissie. Send me a PM if you need help. 8)

Thanks for the offer peter t probably will need help a few times along the way  :o

Don't let the wiring fool you its all been disconnected from the car and just laying there in the later shots.

The cars loom is pretty buggered and some young owner made it pretty nasty trying to keep it going at one point ha ha

Hes a bit older and wiser now hence the new wiring kit.

The front rim is REAL close to the spring perch i think I'm going to need a very tight tyre weird thing is it looks like it will hang outside the guard too freakish?

Hanging out is easy to fix rubbing suspension parts not so much i may still go a set of 16x7 +4s but when i do the math ide gain 8.7mm i guess that is better.

I started pulling the lights and stuff out of the front today to get that all rewired,cleaned and repaired.

The indicator park light buckets are cracked up and stuffed!!! more parts go on the list at least i did the h4s headlights before i broke it for good last time  :-[

Till next time.....

post-3638-144023657918_thumb.jpg

Had a real good time today see if you can spot the things i took out!

Oh and im not sure this is where the fuse box will end up but i made a start the engine bay wires are routed

I'll probably remake my mount then strip all that stuff out and restore that kick trim.

Next stop get that dash reskined (you know im going to be asking about that) then get gauges to suit RB engines

and vintage air gen II mini to replace all that other junk.

Good times are just around the corner!

post-3638-144023657938_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657947_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657953_thumb.jpg

post-3638-14402365796_thumb.jpg

Semi good day on the car went backwards at first i cracked it at the location of the fuse box

so put it in the passenger side lucky i wassent to far along on the other side!!

Now I'm onto the rear tail light section but i want to replace all the bulb holders anyone know where i can get them?

Oh and in a moment of sanity while i was looking at other z's on a certain other forum i came across an idea....

and when you have a paypal account and eBay open anything can happen  :o

so here's a few pics of the other head ache i got my self in for!

post-3638-144023657968_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657976_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023657981_thumb.jpg

Yeah hybridz made me do it haha

The seat is just sitting across the standard pads and the s2k rails in those pics.

The seat seems to clear just nicely in a 74 and the 2+2 bit seems to make the documented head clearance issue a little less of a problem?

I can get some better pics of it and when i finalise a mounting plan with the engineer (hes off work injured till mid jan  :-[ ) ill show that too.

The seats feel awesum and look just about right in the car i thort!

Anyway i had to leave the seats and get back to the real work so the rear lights are wired into the new harness i need to sort out what pump etc ill be running to finish the back half.

Now all i need is the dash repaired buy up some gauges get the vintage air unit in and buy a half cut to finish off the front of the cars wires etc

It's starting to get fun now!!!! ;D

Oh and if anyone knows of a decent set of tail light plugs and harness (300zx is same and newer apparently) for not much let us know ide go close to putting up with the drivers side but the passenger side is a mess not enough left to splice and rear crispy from age etc its getting covered up anyway but I'll know!!!!!

post-3638-144023658013_thumb.jpg

Went and got new tyres for 2 of the 16x8s at first so i can test fit them on the front

I know they go on the back easy.... and now i know they go on the front too clear (just!!) everything but hey hang out the guard hmmmm

The car is pretty high at the moment i bounced it a few times to settle it down they may just come in at the proper ride height?

Anyway i busted my leg up riding the cr250 so i couldn't do much more than look at it  :'(

I'll get better pics of it when i can walk again!

post-3638-14402365806_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023658066_thumb.jpg

Been busy trying to tie in the wipers to the ez wiring that has to be the worst kind of bastard Ive ever seen!

So I'm now looking into hot rod style wipers and head lights to do away with that bugger entirely any ideas or opinions?

Next up we have a totally rooted indicator stalk etc that i may be able to fix but it wont be fun either  :-[

So to cheer my self up i finished stripping the dash and had a look at what i can do about fixing it.

I really want it to look nice now since i went mental on the interweb an hit up speedhut for 6 of the best!!!

All this and i haven't even got a half cut yet!!! the budget is certainly going to have to slow down soon.

oh and if anyones got some ideas on making the front guards a touch wider without making it look crap I'm all ears.

I got some kmac camber adjusters coming to tuck the front a tiny bit but i think ill need more to get them inside  :o

I cant see the 16x7 +15s helping me enough at this point the measurements just don't want to add up on my car for some reason?

After installing a couple aftermarket wiper systems, I would NEVER consider one for my own vehicle, or for anyone else really.

I would spend the time to modify/add to the harness to get the OEM wiper system working, or at the very least using the Civic/Honda wiper motor swap.

I had dashboard restorations on the southside do my dashboard a couple of years ago. At the time they really didn`t want to do it (the wife/secretary always refused, had to get onto the bloke who actually does them before they agreed). After all the nagging they eventually did a great job.

OK to just to clear a slight misscom-unication i was actually talking about the switch not the whole wiper assembly.

But after reading Six_Shooter's post

I would spend the time to modify/add to the harness to get the OEM wiper system working

I thort yep hes right don't be lazy get serious  ;) thanks six for the kick along.

So yeah 4.5 hours later i got then factory wires pulled from the already removed loom and rigged it up to test off the car and blow me down....

I got it all working but the box is noisy on the first setting and makes a bit on the others could be the battery i had to use but the park shut down and the washer triggered wipers 3 pass all works  8) at first i thort i didn't have intermit wipers but I'm not sure it ever did maybe just a 3 speed?

Garvice? I keep hearing that that dash place only does new stuff for rhd conversions? so if i put my shorts on i might get it done?

Really its the second most searched thing on a z car doing your own dash i may look into it its not a show car but I'm still trying for "nice"

We shall see i guess.

To finish off i took a few pics of the fun i had today and before you ask the new wires where still in a test loom not finished ha.

post-3638-144023658858_thumb.jpg

post-3638-144023658867_thumb.jpg

OK theres some parts starting to come over now the holidays are basically over  ::)

Wiring specialty's have finished my engine harness and it should be on its way next week.

So its probably just as well Ive mostly finished the wiring in the cabin area Ive got to wait for speedhuts order to come before i finish the dash but the rest is tied in.

I was going to visit a half cut or two today to see whats around but they where closed up for the day bahhhh.

Also i went up to the local supacheap to see if they want to get me a master cylinder and while i was there i got some more wire supplies and part numbers off some books and totally forgot about the m/c DOH!

To cap off today whats the opinion of RBS30 for a number plate.... too clever?... just OK? or that'll do donkey? we know what it means so that's enough i think haha

till next time!

Before i start (and I'm not employed by these guys and if I'm not to plug then let me know and this post it outta here  ;) )

anyone after a r30 efi probably L24 i didn't look to close it also had a diff and CV looking axles not sure if there any good for someone on here theres one today 14/01/2012 at  Salisbury wrecking

Phone: 1300 366 616

Alternate Phone: (07) 3277 5066

Fax: (07) 3277 3152

Email: info@salisburywrecking.com.au

Address: 690 Beaudesert Rd, Salisbury Qld 4107

OK there was a trip to the wreckers today and it was awesum!  :P i love those places when they have good stock.

So i was waiting for parts (gauges are in the airplane wires are on way and motor in negotiations) and thort it was time to get the brakes sorted so i had a think about what i wanted to do.

First off the bling factor wore off the idea of big brand name brakes so i went back to the tryed and true.

Vented hilux front disk to be decided and everyones (well Aussie) favorite r31 sedan rear.

Salisbury wrecking looked after me i went down and picked the parts took me 2 hours mostly trouble free except i Had to magiver a jack to get the r31 disks off the ground haha and all up cost.......$88 i think that's pretty fair dont you?

heres what i got

brakes1.jpg

the disks might machine or ill get new ones when i take the calipers too get recoed and gather and machine up the other parts

heres the front calipers pretty sure there the right ones  :o

brakes2.jpg

r31 Aussie sedan i knew so heres the back oh and sorry guys last pair on site  :'(

brakes3.jpg

heres the comparo to stock calipers ill try and get a shot of the non vented next to these when i can get around to it

brakes4.jpg

top view for those that dont know look at the pad difference!!

brakes5.jpg

heres 1 option your looking for at the wreckers for the front 91 fourrunner v6

wreckershilux.jpg

and heres why i took so long on the skyline!

wreckersr31.jpg

and that's after i found some rusted up jacks haha

oh and i nearly forgot the other thing i was up to today around the cricket i had a trial fit of the half recoed and painted tail light

not sure i like it true satin black maybe more grey required but heres a look with something else i got recently....

lightshalf1.jpg

lastly ooorah! for server space now i can stop posting like a newb...or something

Well i bit the bullet and tryed on the new front calipers

they fit with a little bit more trimmed off the backing plate

and they clear the xxr 513's so that's all good

So now i wait for my Silvia disks to come in and head off to the machine shop...

here's a few pics of the calipers and fit up

yep bigger!

brakesfit1.jpg

had to try the wheel I've had enough trouble with guard clearance i didn't need caliper probs too!

brakescomp4.jpg

hmmm looks dirty

brakescomp6.jpg

magic!

brakescomp8.jpg

here's a comparo of stock vs first upgrade and then the new ones

brakescomp2.jpg

other parts on the way and the reco and machining work to look forward to

then the only thing to do is everything!

More distractions arrived today i really need to get some of the jobs finished now so i can start on the cooler bits of this build (more like un build ATM  :P )

so here's some pics of whats come so far....

Kmac for the front not sure about these yet

newbits1.jpg

Got these delivered to work what a distraction this box was  ::)

newbits2.jpg

NICE!!!!! well i reckon so

newbits3.jpg

And lastly this lot now i need to get to a machinist pronto

newbits4.jpg

Went the t2 slots cos i was feeling silly they cost WAY more than there worth i reckon but what ya gunna do?

Also have a full set of new pads there and ill get the calipers off to the shop soon for re-kit and some hoses

Oh and if anybodys still reading this the disks only JUST fit in the calipers I'm worried about pad clearance now should i be?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

First off and i should have known better but you cant machine the t2 slot Silvia disks down to datsun outside diameter or they may crack bahhh!

So now I'm going to run 280mm front disks and sqweek the calipers out somehow because I'm crazy....

second thing i learned I'm probably able to get my spring perch "moved" to fit the xxr 513 16x7 +15 wheels so i went and ordered some

Now they may fit as is (before anyone goes off at me you got to measure MY car) but at least i know i can tinker them in there

Third i have people that should know better telling me that even a 1" MC wont work on these calipers i cant win lately!!

So I'm on a one battle at a time mode now

here's one that i nearly won....

dash before

dash1.jpg

again big cracks and what not

dash2.jpg

last one i promise

dash3.jpg

and if the camera would work after!

dash4.jpg

you might be able to make out the speed huts in there mmmmm

dash5.jpg