Aluminum Radiators from eBay - opinions/experience?

stevo_gj

Thanks for the links nizmozed, I will see if I can get hold of a thread guage to measure up the thread size.

I will post up a picture for you and comments on fitting plus thermo fans on Monday Sydney Mike.

Mickl

Thanks Mickl that would be great. I know your pics will reveal all but just want to ask are you replacing the stock fan with the thermo's? I'm getting concerned that the stock fan will not clear the new alloy rads? I wish to keep my stock fan and shroud. I have thermo's in front of the air con core. Anyways, looking forward to see your pics. My zed is a late 76 2 seater so maybe same as yours.

dpkt.jpg

no6s.jpg

cheers, Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The radiator was a pretty good fit and the only thing needing to be done was to make the bolt holes in the cross member a little elongated....maybe an extra 2 or 3 mm extra was needed. The pipes for the gear oil are threaded so hydraulic type flared fittings now have to be sourced to refit the gear oil cooling.

There is only 70mm clearance between the radiator and the clutch fan bolting plate so it is no longer possible to use the standard fan. I have bought twin 10 inch shrouded thermo fans which will fit very nicely to the inlet side of the radiator. I don't have air con so the fans will mount here fine. Next week`s job. I could mount them on the inside of the radiator and set up as a pull-fan as there is the 70mm space but outside as a push fan is easiest. The twin fans with mounts, electrics etc cost me about $92 over the net. Radiator was $157 delivered and much cheaper than a re-core. Maybe you could very lightly spray it black to hide the aluminium look?

Send me a pm if you want the exact supplier`s addresses.

post-1109-144023721189_thumb.jpg

post-1109-144023721191_thumb.jpg

post-1109-144023721192_thumb.jpg

post-1109-144023721193_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The thread on the two pipes for the automatic trans fluid at the bottom of the radiator was metric (M 14x 1.5) rather than BSP and so it was very difficult to find appropriate fittings. Speedflow and others on the net didn`t seem to have anything which looked right but I finally tracked down two fittings at RYCO for $62.96 for the pair, which was a bit expensive but what can you do. Another complication with the tubes was the angle of the flare needed in the fitting (60 degrees) as there can be 4 different shapes. The ryco flared fittings parts number is 6680-0414 and it is called -414x1,5MET(JIS)F 60`CONCAVE for those who may follow this path

post-1109-144023724814_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo, after getting the original radiator fixed up few years ago it is now leaking. Time to upgrade. So mates , who do I get my new radiator from. PWR ones do not look any different From the Chinese ones so please tell me where to go. 8)

PWR compared to the Chinese ones is chalk and cheese.

PWR uses a heavier and higher quality alloy in the construction, when you handle one in the flesh you can really notice it.

You also pay for it though.

Lots of people have used the Chinese ones with great success, even in demanding performance applications.

On the other side of that, people have also had Chinese ones with pinhole leaks and other quality control issues.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with them.

I have a good mate who has a pwr in his 10second as ute and he is on his 3rd radiator due to leaks.

Not saying there not a good product but everything can fail .

I think for the money you can't go wrong with the china radiator.

I will be getting a 4 core version shortly for the 20B.

• 4 years later...

I purchased a double core alloy radiator for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8, it came from eBay (worley2013) seller which have a distribution warehouse in Hoppers Crossing Vic. At first when I received it, it looked to be reasonable quality, it was installed and ran perfectly for 16 months then started to leak. After removing the radiator it was clear that the top and bottom rails were too weak as the core became distorted and thus the core connection to the side tanks were compromised - Leaks. The seller and I are negotiating on how to fix my issue and they have offered a 40% discount on a new one but this will also fail in a short time like the previous one. Refer to the picture of the failed rad.

I'm also working with Race Radiators in Dandenong on either rectifying (recore) my old rad or modifying a new rad so it won't warp like the old one.post-106631-0-20280900-1507707978_thumb.jpg