Sign in to follow this  
Nav

Installing a new stereo in a 240Z

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the original stereo in a 240z with a more modern one themselves?

Keen to know if it's a straight forward process and if it's easy enough to do myself

Thanks

N

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the original stereo in a 240z with a more modern one themselves?

Keen to know if it's a straight forward process and if it's easy enough to do myself

Thanks

N

No different to any other car really, I think you'd be hard pressed finding an original head unit in a 240z these days. The original radio would be worth a little bit of cash to the right buyer.

A multimeter is essential but other than that it's pretty straight forward to install a head unit. It would only be a challenge if you are installing a big amp / subs etc.. still do-able but might require some wiring changes and perhaps an upgrade in terms of alternator (later ZX internally regulated unit puts out more amps).

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1600&highlight=hakosuka

If you havent already, have a read, possibly one of the best JDM build up threads ever.

Anyway, this guy some how found or installed an AUX jack into his original Datsun stereo so his Ipod/Iphone could plug in and play his tunes through the original stereo.

What a legend.

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1600&highlight=hakosuka

If you havent already, have a read, possibly one of the best JDM build up threads ever.

Anyway, this guy some how found or installed an AUX jack into his original Datsun stereo so his Ipod/Iphone could plug in and play his tunes through the original stereo.

What a legend.

:o that's an awesome idea. I hate the look of new head units.

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php/topic/563553-audison-bitten-has-arrived/

could look at a processor. Kinda pricy but gives you all the features of a top quality cd player but still keeping stock stereos.This is the cheaper, more standard one at $550 tho.

I plan on upgrading every bit of audio in the car to 90's, early 00's stuff. Wiring would be a must id say. But depending how much you wanna delve into it, will depend on what you need to do.

:o that's an awesome idea. I hate the look of new head units.

Hey Hey we agree on something :), I hate them also too flashy OEM units always look nice.

Thanks for the input guys.....much appreciated. Will keep the original unit as I would like the car to be as original as possible. Its got the original carbies, matching engine numbers...etc. So don't want to change it too much

However a CD player and an FM stereo would be nice while I'm driving around :)