FUTURE Z CAR NATIONALS

be-zed

I may be wrong on this. But have there been any Z only Nationals since 2003. They seem to have become Nissan Datsun Nationals open to all makes of Nissan- Datsun models. Through the 90`s there were Z only Nationals with other nissan-datsun makes invited to take part. But in whole it was a celebration of the Z series cars . I have been told that there is not enought interest from Z owners to justify a Z only event. There would not be the numbers to cover its cost to put on. Can this be true and there be no more Z Nationals?   

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is certainly the case for the more remote states. Here is QLD we just can't attract enought Z cars to justify a pure Z nationals. We struggled to break even after including the other models.

It might be a different story for more central states like NSW.

But to be honest I like the idea of leaving it open to all nissan and datsuns. It broadens the experience.

I will NOT partake in an event that is solely 'Z' orientated.

I boycotted the event last year because it was touted as a 'Z Only' Nationals, with the 'other' models invited just to bring in some extra $...

It's a boring event just looking Zeds & inviting the broader Datsun community make for a much more entertaining event.

The OP is a sad old rhetoric & shows that some Zed owners STILL have there heads firmly jammed up......................................

But you partake in a site that is solely for Zeds, interesting.

Weren't we celebrating 40 zed years at these nationals

Personally I like checking out other Nissan /Datsuns and chatting with their owners, but then I love admiring any make or model vehicle ...ala at the Picnic at Hanging Rock.

It's a reality these days that to run a successful event big numbers are needed to ensure no monetary loss,so I don't care what they call the event as long as the car club that organisers the event doesn't lose dough.I also appreciate the effort and time that it takes to setup and run a large event ,given that,perhaps they are entilted to call it whatever they like .

People who boycott these nationals are probably cutting there nose off to spite their face i.e.for if we all took that attitude then there will be no nationals and I'm pretty sure we who use this site wouldn't take up the challenge of running a similar event ...i could be wrong  but we don't have a committee etc for starters.

I didn't care what the nationals were called this year I had a great time meeting other like minded car nuts .

Perhaps look at the bigger picture

• Administrators

I have a feeling I know where this thread might end up going, so with that in mind can we try and keep it positive around ways to improve it in future?

Hi guys,  this topic has been covered a number of times and the reality is the $$$............. as the guys have stated

I have been involved in organising three Nationals with the NDSOC, the last been the 2007 Nats at P.I and many years ago we found that to confine the event just to Zeds is not financially viable (if you want to hold a track day in particular) hence why we initiated the "Nissan/Datsun Nationals" in 2001............together whith the fact that the NDSOC has over 50% of members who have vehicles other than Zeds...........and it adds to the "colour and variety" of vehicles and their owners.

The 2007 Nationals had over 200 vehicles entered, of these we had around 50 Zeds ............if the event was confined to Zeds we would have gone broke or not held a track day and not had merchandise.....etc.........so it would turn into a "nob polishing fest" in a park rather than the multi event that we held (Show n Shine, Nav rally and track day) .

These events take a huge amount of organisation and funding to get up and running, as such no organising club wants the event to fail and we have seen the success the viarity of vehicles has brought to the bi-annual event.

Whilst I cannot speak for the Sydney or QLD Zed club, the NDSOC maintains individual classes and trophies for Zeds to maintain the heritage of the "Zed Nationals" , so for those who felt that past couple of events may have lost their  "Zedness" ........be assured that whilst all marques will be catered for and celebrated , the Zed focus will return for 2013.

Alan

NDSOC

• Administrators

Alan is the NDSOC organising the 2013 event? If so may I suggest asking for more help from Auszcar in terms of promotion? I feel that in the last couple of years this site was not leveraged to it's full extent.

I would be happy to help promote it via front page news and setting up a page if req. Can also do banner advertising on the site (no charge of course).

We may also be able to do a mail out to members etc... really drum up enthusiasm and interest.

I was just never asked in the past or only contacted once or twice for a couple of small things. I found it a bit odd personally.

Just a suggestion to whoever is organising the event, feel free to reach out to me. I'm eager to help.

Well done Gav , the best way to promote zeds / datsuns/ nissans is to get behind OUR national event and help out whether it be advertising , money , prizes , marshalling or just entering.

Keep the zed dream alive and make it a grand event.

Usually the best way to change something is to become involved and be proactive not back away and criticize others good intentions.

GO ZEDS  etc

These events take a huge amount of organisation and funding to get up and running, as such no organising club wants the event to fail and we have seen the success the viarity of vehicles has brought to the bi-annual event.

A comment often made is the amount of organisation these events take (which is undeniable), and there is always the accusations that the event "favours Zeds", or "favours non-zeds" (often from different people discussing the exact same event  ::)).

At the risk of suggesting a radical change, perhaps rather than having each Nationals organised by the "hosting state" club alone, consideration could be given to having future events (say, from 2015 onwards) run by a committee of volunteers recruited from numerous clubs. These events could be run to a standard formula so the "look and feel" is the same from year to year ? Also possibly expanding the list of clubs involved in the organisation of the event (the three existing clubs, plus other Datsun / Nissan-oriented clubs) ?

This may solve the problem of getting enough volunteers, would ensure consistency from year to year (ie categories, number of trophies, judging, etc, etc), may spread the financial pressures, and may save some work (by having a "template"or "framework" to work from).

There are potentially a few downsides such as people in different states having to get together and arrange stuff (although in this digital age there are plenty of alternatives to face-to-face meetings), and potentially the need for a reasonable number of volunteers from the "local" club to actually run the event (but again, as an example I personally was involved in timekeeping at this years nationals despite not being from the Sydney Z Club so there is no reason why volunteers couldn't be drawn from a number of clubs).

Just my thoughts  :)

Dave, well suggested!

In 2009 QLD, the club lost money, no biggie, it is expected, but with recent financial times we are trying to run events for members and guests, but when there is no or very little interest, or when you just don't get the numbers turning up and entering, the two years to rebuild clubs funds are just not there, the last three local events z QLD have run have made no money, so no funds to deposit, last weekend we grid a dat at a track, 12 said yes, 3 paid, it WAS going to cost the club $1500 it got cancelled. I am trying for a June 2012 Queens g'day weekend three days of pure motorsport for ALL Jap cars here in QLD, but the committe have canned the idea, as it is deemed too financially risky.

Track owners want big dollars, it costs a lot for all the other stuff involved, only a financially healthy club can do this.

A few individuals on a forum think yep easy peasey it can be done, but no, it takes a core group, with additional manpower, and the backing of a healthy bank balance.

ZClub Qld gave away the rights to the CJSS the new organizer has just run it at Lakeside, he got a huge turnout, plenty on show and plenty on track, very disorganized, but the attendees didnt mind, they loved it

Z club QLD is due to host NDN in 2015, the current committee are now wary of taking risks with club funds, ffs we have some 12 k in bank, ndsoc have 28k it can be spent, just how much do we need to keep, I am one voice, no matter what position I hold if any within a club!

They will be held at Phillip Island, and I think I might go.  I have free accommodation there :)

I like Dave1600s idea of people from all clubs getting together to organise, it would encourage more people from each state to attend rather than relyign on the majority of the attendees coming from near by.  The downside will always be politics in these sorts of comings togethers, as has been in the past.  You can only hope the people selected could be happy to co operate. 

Last years Nats were great, I had a ball and I was happy with how well it ran.  There was a slight lack of communication, but over all well run.  I considered boycotting when it was announced as a zed nats with others invited, but it didn't at all feel like a zed orientated event, not even zed only categories. 

Alan is the NDSOC organising the 2013 event? If so may I suggest asking for more help from Auszcar in terms of promotion? I feel that in the last couple of years this site was not leveraged to it's full extent.

I would be happy to help promote it via front page news and setting up a page if req. Can also do banner advertising on the site (no charge of course).

We may also be able to do a mail out to members etc... really drum up enthusiasm and interest.

I was just never asked in the past or only contacted once or twice for a couple of small things. I found it a bit odd personally.

Just a suggestion to whoever is organising the event, feel free to reach out to me. I'm eager to help.

Gav

Thanks for the offer and yes we will take you up on the advertising side of things..............I do recall posting regular updates for the 2007 and trying to generate some enthusiam but felt there was little return (possibly due to some residual politics at the time) 

Whilst the advertising would be great, we would also like real world assistance in the form of people who volunteer their time to assistance in organising events both during the planning stage and over the duration of the event............this is where we always struggle to find people with the real commitment.

1600Dave has a great idea however we have tried this in the past and we have found that the invited clubs where "all show and no go" .....plenty of enthusiam but no real action .......we will try again for 2013. The other point is management committees often turn events into a 'commercial' enterprise whcih sees entry prices sky rocket and go beyond the reach of many..........at club level we try and keep entries fees to an absolute minimum as we are not in it for the big profit margins.

On the subject of venue..........Winton is out as they have moved the "Bogan Nats" to Winton over Easter so we are trying to lock in P.I again, the issue is that P.I will not commit to a booking until early 2013 and insist that we hire the track for a minimum of two days (around $20k).....in 2007 we managed to get the BMW club to take on one day to split the cost.

So we have a number of challenges to overcome for 2013 however I you where one of the 200 entries we had for the 2007 event at P.I, I'm sure you will attest to a great weekend it was..........the next one should be even better.

Alan

Life Member

NDSOC

• Administrators

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately due to being abroad I don't know if I can help out yet in person. However if I am around I'll be sure to let you know and get involved. I'll also try and drum up some interest from Auszcar members.

Would love to get my Z on the track at P.I I've actually never had my car on a track. I was always too much of a broke Uni Student. Looking forward to eventually getting out there one day.

So we have a number of challenges to overcome for 2013 however I you where one of the 200 entries we had for the 2007 event at P.I, I'm sure you will attest to a great weekend it was..........the next one should be even better.

Hopefully the challenges can be met - I came down for 2007 and can attest to how good it was. Not just the track day (which was awesome), but the whole "Phillip Island experience" for someone who has never been down that way before.

Well, except for sitting in the dark, freezing various bits and pieces off for a few hours just to watch a penguin or two waddle up the beach  ;D

Easter weekend 2013 Johhno

Enough notice to pull your finger out?  :P

Out cleaned and manicured already Simon..............

Kato- David and I and I'm pretty sure Loui have already made a pact via PM to be there.

It seems the future of Z nationals is dead . So be it .

I find this sad as other Nissan Datsun Marques have there own Nationals .The Sporties and Skylines are but two.I must admit the thought that a Z owner would boycot a Z National event  because it was not a Nissan-Datsun event never entered my mind at the first Z Nats in 1990.

But things change and making sure it is good change is the hard part . Alan will have his hands full with NDN13, been there done that.So to add to some of the good ideas that are already on this thread . The Nissan-Datsun Nationals need to be standardize. A set of rules that can be followed by other hosting States or(ACT) Territories.These need to be as simple as possible and must be fair to all models of the Marque. They have to be broad enough to take in possible future models. For example classes by age pre 60,70,80 etc and CC for motorsport event.

Concourse along the same lines and rules.

Easter does not always have to be the date for Nationals .It was something I used in 1990 because it suited me. To take change to an other level. Perhaps the event can be broaden to include events like DRIFTING and a TARGA style tarmac event. These 2 events are very big with nissan owners of all makes. We did have a navigation event in 1990 and I remember it well as I broke my foot on the course.

This would also involve extending the the numbers of competition days from two to four days .I would also lengthen the duration of Nationals from two (2) years to four (4) years.

No one really has an interest in World championships which are held every year . But a world cup Rugby or Soccer um Football or Commonwealth Games and the Olympics. They are events you make time to be at as you may only get one shot to attend.

To cover the cost of Hosting  such a festival would involve input on a National level . This would also commit the other States to advertise the event and make sure there were adequate numbers attending .Shares could sold to other Nissan clubs to raise funds to cover upfront costs and deposits to acquire venues .I am sure there would be a wealth of information on how to run these events in the membership of other clubs .   

I don't really like the idea of the navagation events personally, I wouldn't drive 8 hours to drive a road I can drive any time for free.  The idea of something like PI which is an epic track in it's own right and to only see it once every 6 years excites me. I realize I can go there more often than that, but since it is 8 hours away, I simply can't afford it... 

I dont think the Nats will die, I think people just need to relax and get over the us vs them thing and try and enjoy it, rather than fight it.

Be-Zed

Have to be honest and put a couple of observations forward be they right or wrong, most Zed owners are enthusiasts but seem to run their cars on a shoe string budget which also extends to their ability to sacrifice time and funds to extra ordinary events, there is no doubting the love we all have for our cars, but unlike many more expensive marques, the cost of commitment is I feel to great for some.

I agree that a 4 day event is the way to go so as to be able to make it more enticing to everyone with a variety of events be they in the form of participation or exhibition, more bang for your buck so to say, it also allows some potential attendees the chance to choose what day or days they may wish to attend based on their interests.

However, and please tell me if I'm wrong, these events to date have been light on with regard to 3rd party sponsorship from what I can gather? and if this is the case, this is one of the areas I would be concentrating on also.

I say this because no matter how many clubs are involved, the risk of blowing budgets is always great and as a result limits financing anything other than purely vehicle related activities and events, if on the other hand, a more family friendly event could be arranged where our significant others and offspring also gained benefit from attending, the numbers and also spend by participants could be much higher.

There is no way I would suggest that PI be dropped in favour of a rally. I personally have not run at PI but would love to .Guys from the QLD Club say it has to be experience or your life will not be fulfilled. I am just putting forward add two events which seem to be of interest to Nissan datsun owners. Drifting in QLD is big going by the entries at the paper clip raceway. The ratio is about 8:1 for Nissan's to other makes. I am hopeless at drifting .I just seem to break things and Iam tired of changing gear boxes and diffs along with bent exhaust valves.But it does make a good spectator sport . Theres nothing  like the smell of burning clutch um rubber to brigthen up your day.

Sponsorship is a difficult subject . It is all about timing . You will find that only 1 in a 100 organizations will part with cash for this type of event. However it may be around 1 in 10 that will part with product. How this product is used to cover costs is up to the organizers . As an example the QLD Club celebrated the 40th anniversary of the 240Z with sponsorship from Nissan Australia. No money changed hands but about $2000 worth of product was on hand .Everyone who entered received something and a pewter keyring for every club member. Nissan had no interest in our LAPZ event but Autobarn, Silverstone and others did .Once again every one who entered received something and we had Raffles to cover costs.

Sirpent your observation are correct and I am one of them . This is why most entrants to these type of events make a final decision to enter more than 12 months out from the event . It is important to get the message out there early. Qld Z is sending two groups to PI for the relay event in August 2012 . Whos going was made 2 months ago.This why there was a very poor showing from QLD Z Club at the 2011. The message was to late.