hilux/4runner clipers

hi there guys just a quick question.what year hilux/4runner clipers can i use to upgrade my 1976 260z 2+2?

i can get a hold of a pair of calipers of a 4runner and they are off a 1994 model can i use them?

thanks for any info cheers :)

I'm about half way through this conversion.  I purchased a set of 1988 4Runner S12.8 calipers off ebay for $76.50.

4runner1988.jpg

For my own safety and to make things a little more future proof I got them reconditioned.  I live on the Northside of Brisbane so I dropped them into "Stainless Steel Sleeving" at Brendale and for $132.00 each, they came back like this:

(I was most impressed)

007-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

Comparison next to my original 71 Zed calipers:

010.jpg

009.jpg

I just need to get some rotors for the front and away I go.  I've read about the Pug rotors, Magna TP rotors and 200sx rotors but if anyone could shed some more light on the most simple rotor to deal with I would appreciate it.

Cheers

can you post a pic of the pads side by side, so i can see the surface area difference  :D

ive got a mate giving me a front diff from a 60 series landcruiser, which has the vented disc and caliper setup that i am going to put onto my 81 hilux. then i will be left with these same calipers to stick on the datsun :D hows that for recycling.

You know i have done this conversion and you still end up shelling out over $600 (sometimes 800-900 if you put some new braided lines also) and I don't think its that great. I could never find a decent pad as all I could seem to find was a 4wd pad.

There are a few people on hear that have used alternatives (AU falcon and commodore). I think this would be a better option as the supply of bits is better.

You may want to check the caliper groove size, from memory it's 22mm and the magna discs are 23mm so I had to machine the caliper groove wider. You can also machine a spacer up to fit in-between the two halves.

These were my costs, Magna rotors new are $65, $30 for seal kit, $35 for braided lines, 2nd hand calipers $120. Most expensive was the project mu pads but they are fantastic!

Your right about pads, the only options are 4wd ones and they aren't the best. I used rx7 pads as per the s13 caliper but you have to drill new pin retainer holes(no hard). You get a bigger pad area with these too.

Tir33d, Try GSL rally sport in qld, they are really helpful and he told me about the pad mod. They make pads as well and will do one to suit your application. They have a similar compound to the project mu's that's suitable for street/track, I've tried this but wasn't up to track days for me. Think they were round $140 Inc post.

Must be good cotton wool, cause they've been on for 4yrs and had a thrashing  :).

I only replaced the standard front rubber z lines, I reused the steel lines from the strut to the calipers. I just took the old hoses in and the made them on the spot. $196 for two lines  :o

can you post a pic of the pads side by side, so i can see the surface area difference  :D

ive got a mate giving me a front diff from a 60 series landcruiser, which has the vented disc and caliper setup that i am going to put onto my 81 hilux. then i will be left with these same calipers to stick on the datsun :D hows that for recycling.

Here are the calipers side by side as requested and a pic of the caliper gap, which is 23mm.  This should suit the S13 rotors at 22mm nicely  :D.

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

Cheers

Luke

I may be wrong but I was woried if 0.5mm each side is enough clearance, do they flex under heavy load? What if the disc warps? So i machined mine slightly larger. The RX7 pads will be deeper again than the hilux ones, if it's just for road use GSL rallysport have an A1R pad that will be more than up to the task.

I got my braided lines made up at a local brake shop in Melbourne, they also did slightly longer braided lines for my bro's 1600 for $40. Maybe try going in with an example and see how much they charge. 

From what I can find the original rotor that these calipers matched to was a vented 20mm.  In the USA some people match these rotors to an 1988 Toyta Cressida front vented rotor that is also a 20mm rotor.  I guess it will just be a case of finding a rotor to match or grinding the caliper gap to fit the rotor.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I'm almost through my front brake conversion and after all the machining, drilling, grinding etc... only to get to the moment of glory where I bolt up my new calipers and THEY DON'T FIT !!! 

After even more reading I now see that if the calipers are the S12+8 for vented rotors, I will need the 260z rotors to make the 9mm difference in the offset that my original 240z hubs have not. 

Does anyone have an alternative solution to this conundrum or does anyone have a pair of 260z they could help me out with  :D

Thanks guys

Luke

This is the same setup as I have and the issue with 240 hubs is the disc is too far away from the caliper groove. The 260 hubs gives the disc an extra 9mm back towards the caliper and it all lines up perfectly.

Can you fit a machined spacer between the 240 hub and new disc, then use longer bolts to secure to the hub face? Would this be safe, I'm not sure.

260 hubs are the easiest and everything bolts straight up, but they seem to be hard to get. What about a disc with 9mm more hat height but same diameter?

So I've had a bit of a tinker with some stainless washers to find if I use only 3 x 1mm washers between the hub and the rotor bolts it all shapes up pretty well.  I will however need to widen the gap in the caliper as it's only got about a bees packet either side.  See in photos.  What's the best way to widen that gap?  Probably only need 2.5mm either side.

Cheers

Luke

003.jpg

007-3.jpg

011.jpg

"hilux/4runner clipers" isn't that what Jeremy Clarkson created when he bolted an outboard on the back of a hilux?

Technically a Clipper is a sail boat.  It is more like if Capt Slow crossed his MG with Clarkson's Hilux.

What's the best way to widen that gap?  Probably only need 2.5mm either side.

Cheers

Luke

Luke,

I can't recall who did it, but someone here made a plate to fit between the two halves of the caliper to create the gap which you seek.

Someone else may be able to remember who did it and post the link.

MaygZ

Do the hubs have a step where the disc sits to ensure no movement.......as well as the 4 bolts. Will spacing this way make the disc hat sit off the step? Also in the pics it looks like the back side of the caliper groove is touching the disc but the front isn't.  ;)