Tacho problems.

peter t

Have searched the threads but don't seem to notice this same problem. My tacho works most days but now and then it stops working. It can start up while driving or just stop. Doesn't affect the motor. Start up and go and get the paper, Works. Jump in start up and it don't work, drive down the road a bit and it may start working or it may not. What to check? Thanks for any help. ??? ???

Thanks guys, I have a spare so will rig that up as described in another thread and see what happens. Let me know how you get on with yours Benny and I will do the same as soon as I figure it out.  8) I saw some talk of a fuse. Is this inside the tacho or elswhere? 8)

• 3 weeks later...

My 260 tach was doing the same thing when I put the car into storage some years ago. I couldn't figure out what was causing it at the time, it seemed to be getting power OK, so I had a niggling suspicion that it was probably linked to the dizzy, as in whatever triggers the tach reading was causing a very irregular fault. Just an idea though.

Peter, is your tacho a 3-wire (inductive) or 4-wire? My 74 2+2 had the 3-wire type, and it never worked. I tried a spare, and it didn't work either - I was under the impression the inductive type tachos didn't work too well with electronic injection?

Not sure what you mean. Don't have injection. Played with the wires at the resistor and now it is going. Tomorrow may be different.

mine is the same peter... will be going over it in the next weeks so will let you know if i have any ideas!!

Wacked a new connector on the green/white wire that goes on the basalt resistor and seems to have fixed it.  8)

Hey there

Can't answer your problem (sorry) but maybe you can answer mine. Pulled everything off the inner wings to spray and have everything back and working apart from the tacho. Was working fine before. It's the connections around the coil I want to check. I put an electronic module on for the ignition, so did away with the balast resistor. Do I need that to make the tacho work? So far I've worked out that the b/w wire should go to the + terminal of the coil (is this correct?). I've tired that but no luck. Can you tell me what wires you have coming from the terminals on the coil please?

Cheers

it must be an epidemic mine keeps working then stopping all week, it has happend to me before so i pulled it appart and cleaned it but it still would not work then one day it just started working again so its got me stumped.

wildy i went out to have a look at my setup but i cant help i have replaced that side of the wiring in my car

cheers pauly

Hey there

Can't answer your problem (sorry) but maybe you can answer mine. Pulled everything off the inner wings to spray and have everything back and working apart from the tacho. Was working fine before. It's the connections around the coil I want to check. I put an electronic module on for the ignition, so did away with the balast resistor. Do I need that to make the tacho work? So far I've worked out that the b/w wire should go to the + terminal of the coil (is this correct?). I've tired that but no luck. Can you tell me what wires you have coming from the terminals on the coil please?

Cheers

Will have a look for you in the morning and let you know.  8)

Hey there

Cheers

PM sent. 8)

Thanks for looking for me, Peter.

Got no joy with it at the mo so have tried all combinations. All but one resulted in no movement of the tacho's needle, but one combo has the needle jump slightly on cranking but then motionless when the engine's running. Any of you clever fellas know why and where to from here?

Cheers Martin

All but one resulted in no movement of the tacho's needle, but one combo has the needle jump slightly on cranking but then motionless when the engine's running.

That's how the tacho behaved on my 2+2. What sort of tacho do you have? Can you take a photo of the back of it? Can anyone confirm that the inductive loop pickup style tacho works with electronic ignition?

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/101042-tachometer-jumps-when-ignition-is-turned-but-drops-back-to-zero-once-car-starts/page__p__947120__hl__%2B240z+%2Btach+%2Belectronic+%2Bignition__fromsearch__1#entry947120

I my self had a new tacho drive installed inside the stock housing so it is now setup like a modern tacho - however if that above post is correct it should be just a matter of installing a resistors - but what size and where? Who knows?

I have not read this yet but it might help (just found the link)

http://www.dinoplex.org/tachoconversion/

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Not 100% sure without actually pulling it out again, but I reckon my 260 has a three wire tacho and it's no better or worse using an electronic ignition module (pertronix ignitor), still occasionally jumps up to 8k or falls down to zero. Obviously wouldn't work if you went to coil on plug or anything without the distributor, or so my somewhat vague understanding of the system leads me to believe. Probably some sort of dodgy connection somewhere, but I'm not really sure where... wiring diagram for the tach is pretty simple so may actually be an issue in the tachos themselves (they are pretty old and not exactly what you'd call 'solid state' devices).

• 1 month later...

;) When I installed my Elctrnc dissy in my motor I dscnctd the two wires that were cnctd to the resistor unit that was situated underneath the coil & joined them together. I then cnctd a wire from the "+" Trmnl on the dissy to the Module on the dissy marked "B". from the other trmnl on the module marked "C" I cnctd a wire which I then terminated on the "-" side of the coil. Might point out that I also fitted a stronger coil.The Tacho was the original three wire unit that was fitted in car. A 76/ 260Z S30, everything works fine. Hope this helps if you haven't already resolved the problem. By the way sometime back I posted a method for testing a Tacho out of the vehicle.

Regards: Alan.  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Im still having a hard time figuring how to make mine work.....

I have an early 74' 260z and I've upgraded to the ZX (E12-80) dizzy. The car runs superb. But I've tried to get the tack working with absolutely no luck.

My tach: 3 Wires:  Black (ground), Green,Red/black (Bullet connector)

Other wires for bulbs:  Red/blue, Green/Red, Green/White, Green/Black

Unused: 2 wires from 260z dizzy:  Green/red, Green/white

Coil +: Black/White and Black/Blue (which goes to ignition switch)

Coil - : Goes to C on (e12-80) 

12V ignition to: B of (e12-80) as well as to Black/white to Coil +

Blue wire:  (most likely the negative trigger?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reviewing the FSM, I see that :

*GREEN from the tach is jumped and connects to Black/White somewhere in the circuit

*Blue is suppose to go from Coil (-) to tach bullet connector

But my issue is that my tach has (RED/BLACK) bullet connector, WTF???

I've traced all the wires, Green/red, Green/White, Blue, black/white all go into the Transistor

I hear about putting a 2.2k Ohm resistor on the bullet on the tach, as well as get an "AMP" which came on the factory coil of the ZX to make it work.

It's getting so complicated as it should be so easy. HELP ME.

??? When you you disconnected the two wires that were connected to the resistor situated immediately underneath

the coil, did you join these together .As this could be your problem failing that check out the procedure I used for my set up which works A1.

Regards: Alan.  :D

• 1 year later...

mine is the same peter... will be going over it in the next weeks so will let you know if i have any ideas!!

Benny, did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I didn't and still have the same issues. >:( >:(

• 2 weeks later...