Space Saver Spare Wheel

wally57

Don't know if this has been covered before, I did look at the previous posts but couldn't find anything on it.

With my Zed project I am looking at changing the fuel tank and will have to remove the spare wheel well. Does anybody have any idea where I may be able to get hold of a space saver wheel that I can fit in the luggage area of the car and will fit over Hilux brakes on the front end. I am told there is a mazda wheel that has the right stud pattern but I don't know if it will fit over the brakes. Any suggestions.

Wally

There should be a variety of space savers that will fit with the right stud pattern. I would be looking for non turbo R32 or R33 space savers as they should almost be the right size as well with possibly some accommodations for big calipers.

Just had to jump onto this thread considering what I have been studying up on.

Correct, a spare wheel is no longer mandatory, however if you do carry one, it must be roadworthy when it is actually used, i.e is on the vehicle and in contact with the road, this means you can carry a non inflated tyre in the boot also  ??? go figure  ::)

Any way, why have I also been looking into this, well as I discussed with David (Katokid) and Peter Mac, I want to get rid of my tank period so as I can run the exhaust centrally where the tank used to be, problem where do you put a sizeable tank ?

Well first option was to look at  the space left adjacent to the inner right hand rear quarter, but after calculating the area and shape no good, only 35 litres max if a tank could be built and fitted.

So the only obvious place would be where the spare wheel went, yep 65 litres no problems there, but what to do for a spare wheel, yep space saver, but aesthetically not a goer, so then I started to read the rulings, spare tyre not required, great, but what if I get a flat?

Found this on the web and there are heaps of vids on the stuff, simple, easy to clean up and is an active puncture deterrent.

So what I will be doing eventually is to run a donut tank where the spare was with an inductive fuel sender (non float type) use slime in the tyres and say goodnight to a spare, that should shave 20 kilos off the build in compensation for the chassis also LOL

Cheers

John

I had thought along similar lines with pressure can of Fill-e-leak (sp?) or the like but someone told me that it was disastrous for wheels as it set like concrete and attached like nothing else. You could possibly clip it off steel wheels but was near impossible to remove from alloy wheels without damaging them.

No first hand experience, just passing on what I've heard.

I don't see those products advertised anywhere these days!

All great points guys, and yes I had similar concerns when  started to look at these types of products.

Just to address some of the points

I have a Friend who works in a tire shop and he absolutely hates the stuff because he has to clean it off before changing the tyre

I had thought along similar lines with pressure can of Fill-e-leak (sp?) or the like but someone told me that it was disastrous for wheels as it set like concrete and attached like nothing else.

Mick, Peter,

Unlike the old stuff that you would buy in a can and would solidify into a hard filler in the tyre, this stuff stays liquid, I watched this vid also showing a tyre repairer taking off a tyre and cleaning up before a proper repair of the puncture, so cleaning this isnt that difficult and I would pay a tyre place another $20 if need be rather than driving on a $300 tyre and destroying it as a result of a puncture

Great idea John but note the warning at the bottom of their web page..........that is only use as a repair for high speed application as it may cause excessive vibration when installed in front tyres or all four tyres

http://www.slime.com/shop/category/products/sealants/

Too true, but I would get the emergency kit which means carrying a can in the car and a small compressor, that way it would only be a short stint before actually getting it repaired

OK, so did some measurements today of the spare wheel well for those that are interested, the well is just over 650mm in diameter with a depth of 200mm, however due to the clamp down rise in the bottom creating an irregular shape, the depth would decrease to 180mm, this would make a tank insert flat with the rear floor.

Therefore, using some 8th grade math I remember

(Surface area of well size) 32.5 x 32.5 = 1056.25

(multiplied by Pi) 1056.25 x 3.14 =3316.63

(Multiplied by depth) 3316.63 x 18 = 59,700

(Convert Cu cm's to Litres) 59,700 / 1000 = 59.7 Litres

More than enough I think

If I make some enquiries with some fabricators after working out the plumbing, would anyone else be interested in a group buy ?

Cheers

John

John - If I've got this right, you propose fitting a new fuel tank where the spare tyre well is at present. If you are removing the original tank wouldn't you be able to lower the new tank approx 100mm and have it sit at the same ground clearance as the original tank. That would allow you to recreate a new tyre well around 100mm deep and go a fair way to maximising your overall boot space.

This is assuming you don't wish to run dual exhaust.

Peter,

Idea is not to touch the wheel well or alter it apart from cutting in a feed point for fueling from the original neck.

That way the original tank is gone allowing for a dual exhuast set up and most probably that area will accommodate the mufflers, I would run an aluminium heat shield above them to deflect heat away from the wheel well, this way the structure stays intact, I get 60 odd litres of capacity and I now have the room for the mufflers, looking at it today I will probably run the pipes off exiting the mufflers to the original outlet point on the left hand rear lower valance.

The new tank will sit internally flush with the floor so I don't lose any cargo space albeit no spare either.