Shocks

JJ260z

Hi

Probably been asked a million times

I'm looking at getting the suspension sorted out

It's stock set up ATM afaik

However I'm looking on the net and Just want a bit of clarity

Where do you guys go to get your suspension parts?

I'm not really interested in height adjustable it's not going on a track

I've seen KYB at a reasonable price are these any good? Are there aftermarket suspension parts that are a straight swap or do I have to hake away at things. Not something I want to do unless dirt cheap tbh

also think I'll change all the bushings while I'm at it but what's best changed to poly and what's best to keep OE

Basically I'm after sorting this out in the most cost effective way.

Im not cheap I owned a Skyline R33 GTST in the UK most places you could actually see the $$$ in the eyes light up trying to cream you for more money, like a skyline tax if you will. 

Eg battery went flat. For a Skyline sir about £145!!! Take battery out, send Dad back in. Have you got a battery like this? yeap £35 wtf

Do you see my point?

Thanks

J

There are HEAPS of different options depending on what you want to do with the car, what you want to spend and if you want more clearance to fit wider wheels etc. You might need to define a little more what you want the new suspension to do that it currently doesn't to help give an idea.

I had for the longest time: Koni Red's and King Springs. You can call King Springs and they will even make you a set to get what ever spring rate and ride height you want. They don't even charge a premium for the service!

For what I think you want, I would be looking at a set of reasonable shocks and them some lowered springs. Nice and easy, drop straight in, works a treat and is cheap. You can take a couple inch's out of the zed without ruining handling or comfort and still maintain legal height too. I THINK you should get away for $500-600 new, less second hand as that's what I've seen posted before, but I don't actually know.

From there, the sky is your limit. I.e I'm going Koni Yellow externally adjustable gas struts from a 300zx (I think that's what I was told), weld-on coilover sleeves, new springs and a solid captured bearing top-mount. But looking at a couple k instead of a few hundred and that's cheap for a track car!

Thanks

I just want to replace the suspention in the most cost effective way coz its s bit shagged at the moment. Not interested in lowering or putting wider wheels. Just replacing the suspention with something that works and dont cost a small fortune.

Cheers

J

The KYB's are a straight swap .

After speaking with Barry at Top permformance, the Koni Yellows need some mods to shaft length to fit in a 260.

I have the KYB's with King Springs in my 260 and the ride is excellent (for the money spent)...........I was however very dissapointed with the KYB's I installed in my Z31 (too soft) so I swapped these out for Koni yellows last week and the ride is brilliant.

If your Zed is only to be used on the road and you're are on a tight budget then I would suggest the KYB's as they are only around $350-$400 a set and an easy swap out............Koni's would be double that at least. 

Note - KYB's are not adjustable on the rebound - Koni Yellows are adjustable....................but you get what you pay for.

Hi,

Can anyone confirm that KYB rear shocks are available for 240Z?

I was talking to a local suspension shop in Wodonga yesterday and the guy recommended KYB but when we looked in the catalogue it only had front available.

he told me I would have to source something else for the rear.

Thanks

Regards

Peter

sounds right to me, when the guys at inline steering did the ring around earlier this year for me, there was no direct part No. for the KYBs..

Hey Alan (nizmozed) I remember we searched hi & low thru the catalogues when you worked at your old job & couldnt find part no's....

sounds right to me, when the guys at inline steering did the ring around earlier this year for me, there was no direct part No. for the KYBs..

Hey Alan (nizmozed) I remember we searched hi & low thru the catalogues when you worked at your old job & couldnt find part no's....

I spoke to Wholesale Suspension in Blacktown a few weeks back and the KYB's weren't listed in the current parts catalogue but the bloke went back through and found the catalogue before it and found part numbers in there. They are 361002 for the front and 361003 for the rear. And that's for a '77 260Z 2+2.

No word on wether or not they could still get them, I was only chasing prices at the time, which, incidentally were $200 per pair (fronts same price as rears)

He did also quote me on Gabriel's too and they were only $10 to $20 a pair dearer. Part numbers for those are G44869 front and G44867 rear.

I ended up going with a set of adjustable Tokico Illuminas with matching springs in the end as a set came up for sale for less than the price of KYB/Gabriel shocks + king springs out here. I even looked at getting them from the states but shipping was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Installing them this weekend actually  ;D