Sign in to follow this  
chris240

wheels finally on..

Guys did some investigating tonight... Turns out the tyres are rubbing on the tension rods! Not much in it though so I'm going to move down to a 195/60 and see how that goes:

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

The passenger side also rubs on the brake line... Needless to say the car isn't going anywhere until I reposition the hoses :shudder:

DSCN2014.jpg

Or you could run a 10mm spacer like i posted, that would cost about the same as tyres, you could still run wider tyres for better handeling and your steering will be lighter because you are running the correct offset?

Why are you trying to put a band aid fix on the problem?? 

The tyres on this car are nearly due for replacing. In my opinion it makes more sense to go down to a 195/60 than to buy a spacer and then search high and low for a 205/60 performance tyre, especially since my first choice (Bridgestone Adrenaline) is no longer made in a 205/60.

Spacers in my opinion are more a band aid fix than changing tyres as by adding spacers I would be adding a part to the car which has the added drawback of potential insurance issues.

195 isnt going to make all that much difference in my opinion and it looks like castor rod and brake line are within mm of hitting the rim.

Not to mention the narrower track.

It's your car I guess so you can do what you want  8).

hey Mick (cozza) I just noticed the pic of your rear rims, 2 of the local Canberra guys Simon & Miika have got the same "performance" rims as you, and the offsets are horrible....Simons are 16x6.5 (from memory) and he has bugger all clearance to the guard. Those rims should be banned  ;)

Hi chris

Yeah my rims are 16x7 +20, they are definitely tight. I run 225/50s on the rear with only a mill or two clearance from the spring perch and 205/55s on the front with about 3 or 4 mill from the spring perch.

I don't have any problem with guard clearance though.

Have thought about some of the wheel spacers d3coy mentioned but I'm not getting any scrubbing so I'll just wait till I can afford another set of rims that I like with a better offset.

It always comes back to money ::)

What about tyre distortion when you go around a corner? I would take it for a hard drive then bring it back and take the wheels off and throughly inspect for signs of rubbing.