Craig's Subaru Power Steering conversion

620Z

Morning Gents,

Well finally some more progress has been made on the car. Went around to Gordon's place yesterday. Put the car on the hoist and pulled the front rack out of the Zed. Only took 2-3 hours. Not to complicated yet. Dropped the rack over at an engineering mates place this morning. Rob will be making up a bracket for the power steering pump which will attach to my V8 engine mount. This will seat it very low in the engine bay so you will hardly notice it. A few other mods and nice powder coat should see it ready to go back in, in 4 weeks time fingers crossed.

On the home stretch. Can't wait to get this in.

On a side note Rob gave me a spare dash he had lying around. So now I am getting to work on mounting my new guages from the states. Should have a nice refreshed Zed for the next trip down to Tassie this Feb.  ;)

Oh and I have some new Z31 CV's ready to go in as well. But want to do one thing at a time.

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha yes Simon. I have probably had the rack for 3-4 years. Over the last 5-6 months we set the new rack into another cross member. (Been a lot of waiting around, nor hurry. Mid winter best time to do it) So all the hard work is done really. Now it's just the superficial stuff on the side and putting it back in.

Oh and yes I will get some pics. I should have taken some yesterday really. Oh well will do before it all goes in.

Bout bloody time Craig!!!

Extra keen to hear how it goes. Just a reminder that you will need a restrictor in the high pressure line.

David

Reckon it will be great Craig.

John and Dave - fair dinkum.  This used to be a good old fashioned datsun forum until you to yuppies ...  yes you heard right YUPPIES .. turned up and started going all German on us with your avatars!  Knock it off and put back your datsun avatars this minute!!

MaygZ

Maybe I need a good old American avatar of a Chev?

Hey Dave did you put in a pressure restictor? If so what sort and where did it go? You know I need your help. Ha. I just presumed it would be OK as it was. What happends when the Subies rev to 6K? We have aligned the correct pulley diametre, I think.

Craig.

Haven't had my lines made yet but confirm the BMW line has a restrictor in it and I will use this in my new line. Spoke with the guys at Supersteer and they said that all high pressure lines have restrictors, primarily to slow the flow rate and to dampen pump pulsations. I would get hold of a Subaru line and use the restrictor from that, don't think the size is that critical as long as its there.

Call me if you need to.

OK thanks for the heads up Dave. You know I wouldn't have started this if it wasn't for you. So glad you were able to assist in ironing out any potential problems.

I will make sure I get a line with the restrictor.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

OK bit of an update.

Just about all completed and ready to go back into the car. I have attached two photo's of the power steering pump mounted to my engine mount. Obviously this mount is for my V8 not an L26. This pump will sit really low in the engine bay. You will hardly see it which I like. Less clutter.

I will take a few more photo's this weekend when I do the trial fit up before putting on the oil lines and powder coat the cross member. Cheers

Oh and Dave we are thinking this rack has a progressive steering pump so we don't think I will need a restrictor in the oil line. We will just have to try it and see.

post-260-1440236379_thumb.jpg

post-260-144023637911_thumb.jpg

Hi Craig

I had the fluid lines for my Subie rack/skyline pump setup made up by Enzed Bayswater. Jude knows all about them, and will crimp up what you want. I made mine up out of a combination of the R33 skyline parts and subaru parts. When I pulled the lines apart, I found that both cars had restrictors in the pressure line going from the pump to the rack. The restrictor is crimped to the end of a flexible steel pipe that is inside the rubber hose (it is actually crimped into the inside of the rigid pipe that bolts to the pump). The orifice diameter that the fluid flows through is about 2-3mm. It's easy to include it in your system. In my case, the ''other end'' of the flexible steel pipe was crimped into the rigid pipe that bolts onto the pump (via a banjo bolt), and hence I removed the rubber hose by removing the existing crimp (cutting off the factory crimp backshell) and pulling the old rubber hose off (thus leaving the flexible metal pipe in place on the rigid pipe with the orifice hanging off the far end), and then I put a new hose on of the desired length and then had Jude crimp the whole lot back together with new backshells so i ended up with a factory looking fluid hose with the factory orifice in place.

Cheers

Jamo

Hi Jamo, excellent info. Thanks. I will try and do the same then mate. As I want it same as factory. More pics to be put up later today. I have the whole lot in the back of my car this morning. Cheers

Did a trial fit up on the weekend. All good for the rack. We have to make a small mod to the Pump bracket as it was going to hit the Chassis rail. Will be fixed this week. We should have it all plumbed this week and good to go back in, in a week or two.

Also getting a mechanic to come over and fix my engine oil leak behind the harmonic balancer. Might put a nice new race harmonic balancer on at the same time.

All going smoothly for now.  :D

post-260-144023638509_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK girls I just got the cross member back all nicely powder coated in red. So we bolted the rack back into the car last night. Then took some final measurments for the braided lines and belt. So hopefully I will get them before the weekend and get it all done ready to drive away this Saturday. Fingers crossed she all works.

Couple of pics.

post-260-144023640831_thumb.jpg

post-260-144023640842_thumb.jpg

post-260-144023640852_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK done about 5 hours work over 2 nights at Gordon's place on the car this week. Really on the home stretch now. I have all components, they all fit and ready to start this Saturday.

Two minor hick-ups which caused the work this week. Mostly done now. Final completion this Saturday morning. The problems were:-

1) The fuel line was in the way of the steering shaft. Have to move. Still need to bend some tube etc.

2) The steering shaft just touches the chassis rail. So header is off and a bit of belting or cut and welding is in store for Saturday morning. I only need 5-10mm so not too big a deal.

Then just add some oil, cross my fingers and gentlemen. "Start my engine"........... and drive home.  ;D

If all works I will have a quiet moment with my self. Ha Ha

If all works I will have a quiet moment with my self. Ha Ha

Amazing what effect these cars have on us LOL

Look forward to seeing but more so hearing about what the ride feels like.