Looking for 16x10/16x11 or 15x10/15x11 Wheels

saxon

Hi guys, I'm new here, just introduced myself:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9467.0.html

I'm planning to purchase and build a car like Miguel/Yuta's cars I linked to in that thread.

I have had a hard time finding many alternatives to the wheels they have. Must be around 16x10, 16x11 or alternatively 15x10, 15x11 with bigger tyres. I'm not a fan of the Rota rbx's or Watanabe's. That's about all I could find. The wheels on Miguel's 260z cost $2,500 plus whatever postage and nasty taxes would cost. Wouldn't mind something slightly less expensive. Any suggestions?

I have a set of the performance challengers in 16 x 10 and spoke to them about 2 or so years ago and they still did them.

They would defiantly be the best value option. Otherwise I think your only other local option is 3- piece Simmons or custom.

Ash

Thanks guys for your posts. Couple of options mentioned already. I'm a big fan of those Performance Challengers. Love them. Would be perfect for me if they came with 4 studs. I'm afraid if I did a conversion to 5 lug nuts it wouldn't end up being so cheap anymore. I'm emailing them now to check if they can do them with with the 4.

Thanks again guys.

Would be perfect for me if they came with 4 studs. I'm afraid if I did a conversion to 5 lug nuts it wouldn't end up being so cheap anymore.

What happened to your intro?

My goal is to have a car with the sort of stance of one of these, sparing no expense. I will gladly pay less on the body of the car in order to pay for whatever modifications are needed to get this look. Like Yuta's 240z, it looks like he's spent more money on the wheels and tires than rest of entire the car.

Contradiction?

You've already turned into a Datsun owner  :P

Haha, what I meant by that is that the conversion would push the price up to the point where it wouldn't cost much more to just get the CCW customs, which are pretty dam sexy imo.

It is an option though, doing the conversion, I am just a little scared of it cause I don't know how to do it. My friends do though, and I just found a thread about it so I'm going to go mosey on over there for a while  ;D

Oh dear,

When you order these from a wheel retailer, you can specify either four or five stud, also square shouldered lug holes or tapered lug holes, of you get tapered get them done with steel tapered inserts.

Don't get involved in a five stud conversion, as this adds weight to unworthy components.

You could also be a bit naughty and further lighten the rims in a big lathe, when you find out what they weigh!

I had eight of in their 15x8 lightened by 1 kilogram each, makes a difference, but then again I just use these things on a race car.

Hunt for pricing, I dunno wher you are, but in Brisbane, Craig Hornibrook is best on pricing, he runs a low overhead true an rim shop, does good performance rubber too

Oh cool, thanks for that info dude. I am sure to embarrass myself many more times with my dumb comments, don't you worry. Looks like I'm going with performance challengers :D

Thanks for the tips, not aiming at racing though atm... yet... we'll see how deep I get bitten by the zed bug.

challengers do come in 4 stud.

you will NEED flares.

your car will need too be lowered quite alot or itll look shit, and neg camber. (mexican)

depending on how much you lower it, your guards will need to be cut for more inner clearance. (scrubbing)

tire size also effects whether itll scrub your guards. profile too high youll scrub. width too crazy youll scrub. profile too low looks gay. width/stretch too much looks/handles gay.

having said that id take fat tyres over skinny stretched tyres anyday of the week. however i couldnt find any wide tyres when i was looking. so i got 205/60/15 for my 9.5" rims.

finding decent width 15" tyres is very hard. youll never find off the shelf.

when car is lowered, itll neg camber naturally. youll need adjustable sussy bits so you can tinker it. (too much handle shit)

- also affects whether itll scrub.

i suggest you learn and research about wheel widths/offsets and which is needed for the z.

ps. are you sure ccws are only 2500$ new?

i paid more than that for my old old old 2nd hand hayashi streets and ssr meshies.

http://www.ccwheel.com/wheelprofiles-display.php?id=Classic4

yeah, $2,500 US plus postage, GST, and whatever else. I'm finding out now how much postage is. Can avoid GST if they are posted separately (GST limit for imports is $1,000). Not sure if they would be down for posting separately.

Thanks for tips. Yeah plan on flares/lowering/coilovers. Your difficulty finding fat wide tyres is a little disheartening. I am a fan though of the stretched tyre look, even though no one else on this forum seems to be :P

I think a small stretch looks fine (and often actually looks better, ie i think i'm running 225's on a 9", although the look depends a lot on the profile), however a large enough stretch that you can completely see the outer bead of the rims is getting a bit much and looks as sketchy as anything

Thanks everyone for the input.  ;D

I have a lot better idea of what options are out there. At the moment I'm leaning towards:

10x15-26 performance challengers with 205/50/15. As someone noted, had a hard time finding 15's any wider than that. Will still have the stretch look I like, but not as much as Miguels 260z. Depending how far I can legally lower it, might go with 205/60/15 to fill it out a bit. Will get the ZG flares, coilovers, and cut the guards back.

If anyone can see any potential problems/hazards with that, please let me know!

stretching 205 to 10" is a bit of a push 225 are easy enough to get.

Yeah, you speak the voice of reason. I'll have a think about it. But I'm hellbent on achieving the stance of that 260. 225 would be so much more practical, but it would add 3cm to the diameter, and I'm worried if i deviate to far from what he's doing then I won't be able to get that look D:

how about when you get your desired wheels and flares you go to the tyre shop and get them to mount up a 205 and a 225 to find which is better??

Good point.

couple grab me. emailing them, thanks.

It might pay to check what the legality regarding tyre stretching and camber are. Those zeds look cool but Vic roads and the fun police might not think to highly of them.

After all we do live in the nanny state  :-\

Yeah.. I've seen a zed lowered to 10cm... it's not as mean. I'll probably just end up going a little bit beyond what's legal and if when I get defected I'll just take it on the chin.

• Administrators

I hate to state the obvious but as cool as these cars look aesthetically when this low and wide. Practically when you drive on the roads and try and avoid every pot hole it's not so fun. I just hope you realise it's going to scrape and smack into everything?

Not trying to kill your dream or anything, but have you ever driven a car this low?

It's also going to destroy the underside of the car, which might be ok if you don't mind the repair bills but most Z's are pretty tired now and rusty underneath so you could be driving like Fred Flintstone yabadaba dooo! if you get my drift?

Not to mention you could end up destroying the handling going too low. Given your control arms will be at different angles (causing bump stop) and your struts could bottom out / not have enough travel.

I don't know if you are thinking of coil-overs or not? But it would be a good idea, that way you can drop it on it's arse for photos or what have you and raise it again for driving on the street?