welding masks

Bigfella

I did some welding on the weekend, actually not that much. But a couple of days later and my eyes are a bit sore. I have done a lot more welding in the past and had no issues, so bit of a strange one.

Anyway I am using a cheap auto dimming mask I picked up from Bunnings a few years back and I figure that may be the problem. I was thinking of buying a new one of better quality and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I could just walk into BOC and let them sell me the most expensive one they have. But I would rather get some feedback from guys that are in the trade or even just do a fair bit of welding. I think I will be needing my sight for a bit longer.

Thanks

Matty O

It is important to have the right helmet.

Some dim MUCH faster than others - obviously the faster the better - I am led to believe that 1/250000th of a second is enough

Then there are different degree of dim  :o  for different welding - from memory Mig is 9-13 ???  Arc is completely different as is Oxy and Tig

(Tig might be the same as Mig - I can't remember)

I agree completely with Simon - only one set of eyes so look after them.

Also welding puts out gamma radiation as well as the UV a + b, so long sleeves to protect from skin cancer.  I know "I've been welding for ages without long sleeves and I don't have cancer" but like lots of these things it takes a while to build up.

People don't have a smoke and wake up with cancer, they don't breath in some asbestos and wake up with cancer, macular degeneration doesn't happen straight away.

Take care of yourself.

I'm convinced that I have done some damage to my eyes from the crappy auto dimming one's too.

So my advice is this.

You've only got one set of eyes. Don't penny pinch in ths area, buy a good welding mask!

Yep I couldn't agree more. I originally bought the cheap mask when I was using my welder once a year. But now I want a good one and just want some advice as of what to buy.

Then I would recommend the miller elite series, that or a speedglas one.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/helmets/elite/

I have been using a miller one for a few years now and it has performed well.

Minimum of 4 sensors and a large viewing area are the main things I look for.

Also, the weight could be an issue as well if you plan on doing a lot of welding.

I have been welding for 35 years tried some of them auto helmets different brands and I don't like them I always get sore eyes because they don't react fast enough for me, I just buy the cheap standard helmets and just flip it down with a nod of the head.and I use safety glasses when grinding.

I have a Kemppi Beta 90x. Personally I think it is the greatest thing since slice bread. No battery in this mask, has a huge screen and you can flick the screen up and grind with the safety shield. Best of all, my welding has improves because I can actually see what I am doing now. :D

http://www.allwelding.com.au/epages/alal8270.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/alal8270/Products/KEM9873047

Then I would recommend the miller elite series, that or a speedglas one.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/helmets/elite/

I have been using a miller one for a few years now and it has performed well.

Minimum of 4 sensors and a large viewing area are the main things I look for.

Also, the weight could be an issue as well if you plan on doing a lot of welding.

I have a Miller, and its great - mine however is a Digital Elite, as opposed to an Elite.  Difference being, it still has 4 sensors, but I actually don't use them - I run mine in 'X-Mode' all the time, which is triggered off electromagnetic detection rather than light hitting the sensors.  Great for low amperage TIG, as it fires up during HF start!  I actually don't know why they bothered to put the 4 light sensors in, maybe X-mode doesn't work so well with arc welding.

^^was going to suggest this one for patch as he has trouble with flashing from other auto helmets.

For someone hobby welding or occasionally, it might be a bit overkill though. Especially if they are arc or mig welding.

For low amp tig welding they are the bees knees and I am waiting for mine to pack it in so I can upgrade to one but my current one just does not want to pack it in.

The digital elite ones are awesome when working outdoors or under bright lights as they will not "trigger" under those circumstances like mine does when I look up sometimes into the lights or have my head in a weird position.

The amount of broken Miller welding masks my Boss has lying around the workshop is silly - I think 6 at last count.

For us they don't last, but we are a professional engineering shop...

My $100 CIGWeld unit has give me a bit over 12 months service & it now playing up - not reacting fast enough to the weld arc.

WIA make a good budget welding mask for around the $150 mark, but I yet to see how long our two last.

Seams great so far though :)

If I had the $$$ again I'd grab a new Speedglas, but at a bit over $600 they are an expensive option.

They are the best though.

Ah thanks guys. That gives me an awesome amount of choice. I have to do something about it asap. as it is now Wednesday and my eyes ar still a bit sore. Not good...

Thanks heaps

Matty O