Roberto's PMC enhanced 260Z

I better stop with advise there mate ... obsessiveness becomes exxy!

Your car is worth it though, and as Pete and Whittie can attest, the ceramic coating means a lifetime out of those great headers.

Keep up the good work mate.

Adam.

ps. do you need a good plastic chroming shop for all your vents and garnish?? (ha ha ha!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Got my SW headers back from cermacic coating today.  They look great.  I know the shine won't last forever but i did it mainly for heat reduction as I can't bring myself to covering these with a heat shield.

Also got that nice red rocker cover off ebay.  I couldn't resist...... :P

While waiting for rust repairs, I have been painting parts and have stripped engine bay completely.  I have decided to not go with POR-15 as it has a very high gloss finish.  Will treat the rust and spray satin black to match wheels, flares and bumpers.

post-1856-14402364746_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023647468_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023647474_thumb.jpg

post-1856-14402364748_thumb.jpg

mate its looking good  ;D get together so i can come and have a drive

I think you will scare the begeezes out of me :D

looks great roberto, going to be an awesome looking zed when the refresh is complete

Thanks Benny.  Congrats on the little one.  I can't beleive you are selling so soon.

could you not use the POR paint, then use a matt or satin finish over the top? to remove the gloss?

It's a good idea Nizmo and I am considering that.  My only concern is that POR-15 has an "agricultural" look once cured.  The brush marks go away but it leaves a slight rippled appearance and the odd pits.  Great for small parts and suspension, but i am not sure if I would be happy with it for the engine bay even if i hit it with satin while curing. I have attached a pic of an engine mount bracket i painted with POR-15 but it is really hard to tell on the photo. 

I could apply etch primer over curing POR-15, wait till fully cured then primer and block back for a better finish prior to spraying.  This would ensure a good result, but much more work.  :-\ This is why I was thinking of just leaving out the POR-15 step altogether and just acid treating the surface rust and spraying.

post-1856-144023647488_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my re-skinned dash from rare spares this week.  They did an amazing job.  Like new.

I also got my NOS 280Z console from the US.  It's exactly the same as my 260Z console but no slit for the choke lever and has arm rest.  I won't be needing choke with triples and it will be less likely to crack aswell.

Also Mick Zzzzed will be weaving his magic on the rust this weekend.  I have taken the fenders off to make the job easier.  I didn't realise how easy it is to do. 

I wonder how long it will take to get this car back on the road.  It was not meant to be this way ???

post-1856-144023649636_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023649641_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023649647_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023649652_thumb.jpg

I actually found I didn't have much of a problem with mine opening the wrong way.

Flipping could be done as per roberto's comment, will take a bit of customising but not hard. I just had too many other projects on.