race pace cornering UPDATE

chev z

As some of you will know I've retired the 260z 2+2 from racing and bought a 240 and installed a LS1

I thought that an update about cornering might be appreciated

With the new car there are some anomilies that are different to a normal 240z's suspension.

Firstly the rear end is from a S13 so is fully adjustable and has S13 coilovers installed.

The front end , well being a cheap skate, was transferred from the 260z 2+2. This in hindsight was being optimistic and led to problems with guard clearance. 50 mm to low .

With time running out before going to the Nats I asked a well informed GURU for divine inspiration

GURU LURCH suggested raising the spring seat by 50mm and this solved the problem ....thanks GURU L

What has been achieved so far I think is fantastic, she definately turns in better and for a new build car handles remarkably well , especially with 335 hp at the rear wheels.

The rear end recieved 1mm toe in per side and at this stage no camber.

The front end recieved 1mm toe out per side  and 4 degrees of camber and also 2 degrees of castor

Hopefully this will help setting up someones car , so we can lock horns on the track someday.......a little farming / car punn there

p.s. the old 260 did a respectable 1min 45.5 at Winton , the new 240 z does 1 min 38.7sec so far.

Needless to say I am investigating the Arizona z braking upgrade .

I must be braking very early as my wife even suggested the brake upgrade.How cool is that !!!!

I did the hilux upgrade i.e. 4 spot calipers with  s13 rotors and 1inch master cyl.

The only other upgrade since running that setup on the 260 2+2 is installing blue hawk race pads.

Without having compared the Lucas [ i think ] with the blue hawks , I can't comment on the better braking efficiency using the blue hawks.

It was interesting today tho, when talking to the arizona Z person [ David ] , he suggested that his brake pads were the best to use.I will have to wait for his  email reply to inform people of the brand .I will ask for price as well , as with the Aus. dollar being so high they could be a great alternative.

I actually thought i saw the AZC Wilwood kit on your car at the Nats.  I found my hilx brakes were far from adequate, so i am about to buy the AZC front kit too.  Thanks for the setup tips too, though Ill see what my suspension man says first.

If your going to buy the ari. z stuff we might be able to get cheaper frieght by combining the two parcels .

I was quoted $400 air freight, they might charge by the kilo tho

It will be interesting to see what he recommends for your car

If your going to buy the ari. z stuff we might be able to get cheaper frieght by combining the two parcels .

It will be interesting to see what he recommends for your car

Ask them if it will fit in USPS flat rate boxes.  Usually take about a week to turn up, and tends to be the cheapest option....

Guys there may also be a local option for a willwood upgrade. Give Danny a ring at MX5 Plus in Brisbane. He has 4 spot willwoods that are pretty much a bolt on job. Danny's work is top notch and the upgrade has been designed properly. When I got my calipers rebuilt he was looking at $700 for the pair complete with pads.

His number is 07 3863 5858. Tell him Matt with the green 240 race car sent you.

From memory that was calipers, I can't remember the model number but they were certainly much bigger than the dynalites I have on my car.

It was a fair while ago so if you are interested best give him a call.

If my caliper mounts were shot when I had the brake dramas I would have gone with this update. The only reason I didn't was I would have had to also upgrade the rears to keep everything in balance for the setup on my car.

that postage is a killer, i would be asking for some cheaper alternatives. perhaps the rotors are a standard off the shelf wilwood, so maybe you can just get the calipers and hubs sent over and source the rotors locally. although, for this sort of stuff, local price is usually far higher.

fyi, if a package coming into australia is worth more than 1k, customs charges tax on it. so all of a sudden, a group buy isnt so cheap!

i am also interested in these brakes, so watching keenly!

You are paying by weight so if the supplier sends , say in three parcels, then you can avoid the customs duty etc I would think

So if my setup costs $2100 then by splitting it up should avoid the charges.... I HOPE

You are paying by weight so if the supplier sends , say in three parcels, then you can avoid the customs duty etc I would think

So if my setup costs $2100 then by splitting it up should avoid the charges.... I HOPE

You may also want to put different names on the packeges as they may track the names/addresses of packages?

John

Just confirmed my order with Arizona z owner Dave Epstein.

$2410 usa$

total cost for shipping 4 parcels $310

parcels contain; front brake kit $1300

front coilovers $800

He's very easy to deal with , his contact number is  001114808449677  , best to ring at 9 to 10am Aussie eastern time for quick results

The banks sure know how to rip you off when transferring money to the USA

I used Netbank , IT would probably save you money going to your local branch and get a better exchange rate

Hope this helps someone

cosider sending money via paypal. ive been buying things from usa recently and it works out really cheap. say it costs US$100, by the time its converted to aus$ and they lump their fees on, costs like AUS$98. thats a good deal imo.

• 1 month later...

My Arizona brake and suspension upgrade has arrived.

Shipped in five parcels and have avoided customs tax.

I am yet to unpack as my workshop was being used as the kids furniture storage area.

Cleaned it out yesterday so will have a crack at the installation later in the week .

I am exploring the cost and ways to get more HP out of the LS1, there are plenty of options , as my engine builder tells me , he also added that he wouldn't touch the engine until I improve the stopping ability of the car. So step number one is definately the brakes .

Then a camber / castor / wheel  alignment and  then perhaps a test track day.

Much anticipated excitement

Am seriously considering going down the LS3 path. By the time you invest money into the LS1 you only end up with the equivalent HP of a tuned and mild cammed LS3 crate motor. The LS3  will give you further HP options up your sleeve for later insane engine developement....hmmmmm...probably won't need it..... then again

Do you reckon I need much in the rear brake department, my engine builder thinks not, but his speciality is road racing super bikes...although the weight to power could be similar lol

What do youse guys think

The ls3 is sure sweet motor did Pacemaker extractors hi flow cats and full twin 3" system plus cold air intake on a Maloo ute last year for customer The guy then had cam fitted made just under 500hp with tune at wheels

Must say its still got me keen to make up twin 3" exhaust for mine just to see if u gives any extra ponies

My rear brakes are only mazda 929 on solid discs and have held up so far so dont think you need anything over the top on rear

• 2 weeks later...