Sign in to follow this  
Scoota G

New Rust Repair Project '67 Mustang Fastback

Nice, and being seppo should be a lot easier to work on than a Z, with it's finer engineering tolerances.

Nice, and being seppo should be a lot easier to work on than a Z, with it's finer engineering tolerances.

I see what you did there ::)

Just got to love them dont you ?

I've fully restored a couple of '67s now, a CV & a FB, & yes the panel gaps & tolerances are indeed a tad (or two) wider than on our 70's era Zeds! However, one does appreciate the heavier gauge panel steel on the Mustangs. As an owner of both a '67 FB & a 260Z I can tell you that the two cars are definitely chalk & cheese, quite different approaches engineering-wise to 2-door personal transport.

FWIW if a Mustang or whatever needs replacement panels such as the floor then I advise to try & obtain American-steel replacement panels or patch panels.

So obviously the inner front apron, where the battery tray bolts in, has had an old repair patch overlay; a temporary fix at best. Rust to the apron is very common in that location due to battery fluid spill causing corrosion which eats it's way through the steel tray & eventually down through the apron. I've had to repair or replace these on both my 67's. Easily fixed, access is good, the apron panel is simply drilled off, a new one welded in & painted, & a new battery tray bolted on.

the apron panel is simply drilled off, a new one welded in & painted.

Someone has already played around with the exterior and done that. The only visable area on the outside of the body with the rust is in front of the rear wheel arches.

Looking good mate.

The butcher who bodged up the repairs before you, should be shot!

Nice work Scoota,

Was that a Maxwell House coffee can?

Seen some funny stuff emerge from beneath paintwork in the way of repairs in my time but thats ones for the books LOL

Nice work Scoota,

Was that a Maxwell House coffee can?

Sure was. Three signs were also used to repair the floor. One was an electrical hazard sign and another was a goodyear tyre sign.

post-762-144023626415_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023626423_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023626429_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023626435_thumb.jpg

Hey scoota, lookin' good mate, I might have to drop around for a look-see  :) At least its come to someone who's going to do the job properly this time!

Cool Rob, no sweat.

More pics

post-762-144023626827_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023626834_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023626841_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023626849_thumb.jpg

Nice Scoota. Must be good to be able to buy all the repair sections....that last one would be a bastard to make!

....that last one would be a bastard to make!

Ha no doubt, the owner has dropped me a couple of G's for parts but both sides of the cowl were only $136 from East Coast Mustangs up in Lilydale.